By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 16 - Brawlsville

Nikells said:

Is WoW moderating the game now? Where did j0 g0?

School

He is like 15 years old.

Around the Network

At this point I'm starting to feel like I have distracted the town from its true goal, scumhunting. Not that much scumhunting usually takes place Day One. However, some of the logic I have seen does not make any sense, so I'm going to address it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
At this point I'm starting to feel like I have distracted the town from its true goal, scumhunting. Not that much scumhunting usually takes place Day One. However, some of the logic I have seen does not make any sense, so I'm going to address it.

(I don't like editing)

To add to this, I think Final-Fan is probably the only person to give my proposal a fair shake.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

TruckOSaurus said:
I really don't agree with theRepublic's stats based reasons for lynching someone on the first day. I believe we should only lynch someone if we have a good reason to, not because voting no lynch "removes a town kill", a town myslynch is worst than a mafia kill.

A town mis-lynch is worse than a mafia kill?  You're going to have to explain that one.  I'm really interested.

My take:

Let me preface this by saying that mis-lynches are bad, bad things to be avoided.  However, I'll take one any day of the week over a mafia kill.

When trying to lynch someone, we at least have a chance of getting mafia.  A mafia kill has zero chance of getting mafia, unless we have multiple mafia factions (unlikely in this game).

We also have a public record of the mis-lynch.  We know who supported it, who was against it, who barely commented on it.  All that information can be used later in the game.  A mafia kill is done in secret.  We don't know the reasoning, and it can be difficult to parse.  It could be the murdered person was on the right track, it could be to make someone else look guilty, it could be to get rid of a historically strong player, it could be to get rid of someone the town thinks is innocent, it could be to get rid of a talkative player, it could be that the mafia thought that player had a strong power role, etc.

That is why I prefer the town maintain all the killing power it can.

Now Playing

Nikells said:
theRepublic said:

a single no lynch* takes a town kill and hands it to the mafia to do with what they please

I disagree with this.

If we lynch someone today just for the sake of lynching:

1) There is a much greater chance of lynching a townie.
2) Mafia players could be influencing the initial vote to make absolutely sure we lynch the wrong person (is this what you're doing theRepublic?)

A) If we lynch townies for the mafia this is effectively shortening the number of rounds we have in total.

B) My opinion also differs on your "saving a no lynch for a later round" strategy. We're at no point in future rounds going to have less information on who to lynch than we do now.

I do respect, if you're not mafia, that you're shaking things up and taking action though.

(Lettered to respond to your points.)

A) Not true.  For a game starting with 13 players and assuming 3 mafia, we can mis-lynch three times and still make it to the maximum number of days.  It is only that fourth mis-lynch that ends the game early.

Also notice that chart I posted back on Page 1 (@100 posts per).  A no lynch does not by the town an extra day, it buys an extra night.  It only pushes back the end game by half a day cycle.

B) A tactical no lynch later in the game could be very beneficial to the town.  Scenario: 4 players left, which means only 1 mafia left.  One mis-lynch ends the game unless there is some luck during the night, assuming the town even has the right roles still alive.  Otherwise it is just game over.  A better situation is 3 players left, 1 mafia.  A no lynch gets you there, or a no lynch a day or two earlier in anticipation.  I would always prefer the endgame to occur during the day phase.

Now Playing

Around the Network
dsister44 said:

Therepublic's insistence on a lynch makes me suspect him 

So you are just ignoring the evidence as to why it is in the town's favor to lynch?

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
dsister44 said:

So you are just ignoring the evidence as to why it is in the town's favor to lynch?

No, it's gone right over my head. And your reason for voting someone just screams "scummy" to me. 

trangentspree said:

Not a fan of this line of reasoning, guys.

What does piling votes on people randomly have to do with pressurising scum? Singling out players for no good reason and waiting for them to say something incriminating in response sounds like a plan more likely to result in a mislynch. It also gives the 12 other players that aren't Falcon a good opportunity to kick back and relax.

I'd rather see you guys justify your votes with good reason.

My vote on Day One is very fluid.  I don't mind moving it around to get people talking.  It is not just about pressuring any particular player, it is about pressuring the game.  Falcon was just the ideal place to put the pressure to everyone.  It wouldn't do anything to vote for someone who had no votes.  I am fully willing to move my vote at any time.  Besides, he is a long way from danger still.

You can't deny it got the town going, finally.

Now Playing

dsister44 said:
theRepublic said:
dsister44 said:

No, it's gone right over my head. And your reason for voting someone just screams "scummy" to me. 

Check out the reasoning above.

Also, check out the tables I posted.  One of the reasons for a first day no lynch was that it bought the town an extra day.  It actually only pushes back the endgame to the night.  That is nothing that can't be accomplished later in the game anyway.

Now Playing

TruckOSaurus said:
I'm gonna throw a little conversation piece out there to get things moving:

What do you guys think about the roleclaim = vanilla townie rule?

(By way of Trangentspree's request.)

I think it was probably unnecessary for this game.  There are a lot of available characters to choose from, and the game is pretty small.

If it were a theme with few available characters, and it would be obvious which were good and which were bad, then the rule may be necessary to prevent a mass-roleclaim from breaking the game.  Although I do hate it when games devolve to mass-roleclaiming, which can be common for themed games.

Now Playing