By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake - First 10 Minutes!!

Have they said uncanny valley was not a problem on this game? It does not appears so.

Around the Network
rccsetzer said:
Have they said uncanny valley was not a problem on this game? It does not appears so.

Uncanny Valley effect is restricted to the field of robotics !

Well, i still cannot forget Cronos battle on God of War 3. But this game looks great. Ground texture is somewaht not great.

The lighting, while technically very impressive, just seems overdone. It feels as though they know they can produce great lighting and are going out of their way to show that over and over. That has always been the main sore point for me since we were shown trailers and screen shots; this 12 minutes of gameplay is just confirmation. The excessive lighting ruins the atmosphere for me, same with the ghost/demon thing's Cliché dialogue. From what I have seen so far - admittedly not the whole game - the atmosphere does not compare with Fatal Frame or Silent Hill 1 & 2. Still, I look forward to playing the game. Looks like I'll finally be forced to upgrade my firmware after all; if I can get passed my issues with the lighting.

dont spoil yourself, dont look at those trailer !

Time to Work !

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
It does look good, though it does have it's share of issues (low-res textures, screen tearing). HEAVY RAIN had instances of both though, so it's still too early to judge this, especially since it's yet to go gold. No, it isn't currently the best I've seen from the 360 but it's certainly a pretty game.

Actually it has gone gold. That happened about a week ago but nothing was posted in the news on VGChartz: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63179

I haven't watched the vid. I want to save it all for when the game is on my TV so I can judge it as it was meant to be seen but I enjoy reading all of your reactions to the vid. Keep em coming!

CGI-Quality said:
It does look good, though it does have it's share of issues (low-res textures, screen tearing). HEAVY RAIN had instances of both though, so it's still too early to judge this, especially since it's yet to go gold. No, it isn't currently the best I've seen from the 360 but it's certainly a pretty game.

The tearing is due to the video capture:

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=68102&postcount=71

Wow, only watched a couple minutes of it just to get a little tease but damn this game is pretty!!!

pauly989 said:
JimmyRay said:
I don't get all the people saying "amazing, best ever, tops all graphics on 360 etc"..... it looks good but not THAT amazing?!?!?!

It's certain fanboys jumping on games trying to hype it up. Considering the game is very dark the graphics are quite average.

This.  I watched the video yesterday but I wasn't blown away.  I'll be buying it but it didn't look better than a lot of games already on the market.  I'm assuming that the mood and the story are what's going to make this game a hit.  We've reached the point where graphics don't really "wow" like they used to.  To be honest, it doesn't look that much better than Silent Hill Homecoming or Alone in the Dark right now.

Uncharted has better graphics, but.......The atmosphere in Alan Wake is just amazing