By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Isn't this more a Sony issue rather then a Japan issue? I see no reason to hate Japan for Sony's incompetence.

Around the Network

@z64dan, my point exactly

@WEWdeadeye, yes I know what you mean. You see, for 4 years I've owned a Japanese PS2 and own over 80+ Japanese PS2 / PS games. 99% RPG games. Before my PS2 died on me I could see how these NTSC/JP games look horrible on my Sony Bravia LCD TV, even with a Component cable. I still have a working European PS2, but only with less games and those games look kinda okay with a Component cable, at least better than the JP games do.

So since buying a new PS2 from Japan wasn't really an option and the Backward Compatibility about to leave the PS3, I've decided once and for all to buy the Japanese PS3. Because hey, PS3 is region free for PS3 games, right? At least.... I thought. Really, if I knew this beforehand, I most likely wouldn't bought the PS3 from Japan in the first place, and then again I would be stuck with the question: what to do with my JP PS2 / PS collection?

@Everyone, really I appreciate your support. Saying this on a Dutch website and I get no response or being spitted out in the sense of... like we care.

I'm not sure if this is an issue of Insomniac or Sony, but since Uncharted and Oblivion are censured via the Japanese system, I wouldn't be surprised R&C is a Japan Sony system issue as well. Really, blood censuring I honestly don't care about, I'm not fond of that stuff to begin with anyway, but getting an entire different version game on your system then suppose to, then that's another thing.

@NJ5, I don't know who's faulth it is here, but Insomiac said: "Although the Japanese Ratchet won't be unlockable in the US version"..., so they've lied on that one or are for a total mystery as well as soon as they read my mail.

@Jhlennon1, yeah you're right. The thing is I don't hear this about European nor American PS3 systems, or am I wrong?

I'm seriously considering buying an European system "as well". I'm even crazy considering this!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

The games are region free and you will find that if you bought a Japanses version of R&C:ToD and played it on a Euro/US PS3 it will look like a normal Ratchet and so the games are region free. The different Ratchet is chosen by the game disc itself, all versions of the game have both on them but it depends which console your playing it on, the games are region free its THE CONSOLE that isnt regions free.

Just what i think and it does make sense.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

No Mitsuhide, Sony has said: PS3 is "region free" for PS3 games and not the other way around. Check your PS3 games, it has region codes on it.

You can see it on US games: side of the box, Japanese games, at the back of the box above "for Japan only". You see the number, just above a small globe sign.

The US versions has region code 1, Japan region code 2, so the games "are coded". If the PS3 wouldn't therefore be region free, the game wouldn't even work on my PS3. Same with the PSP. All games have region codes, see the back of the games, just above the bar code (US code 1, Japan code 2), but since the PSP makes the games region free, you're able to play all games on a PSP, no matter what region code it has. If the games were region free it should have said "0" or no code at all.

WEWdeadeye said:
I don't get why you are complaining about this, you chose to get the Japanese version of the system. A lot of developers change things around for the Japanese/US version of their games, because they have different tastes in games, and everything for that matter. Why should the developer have to spend extra money to make two separate versions of the game when they can just use the size of the BD discs, the format that sony is trying to tout as setting it apart from the other consoles, when they can just manufacture one game, with everything on a single disc?

It's not really a money issue. She wanted the US features of R&C so she bougth a US version of the game. Instead she gets forced to use Japanese preferences. A US version of R&C in a Japanese PS3 should have at least given you the option of which Ratchet to use considering that Japanese Ratchet is worthy of nightmares.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Make from the title: I HATE INSOMNIAC!

Sony Japan is not to blame for this at all as I got this message:

> Hi there,
>
> Part of the blu-ray benefit for us is having to only create one version
> of the game. In order to work with the ratings boards, we detect which
> region the game is for and modify it accordingly. Japanese Ratchet is
> included in that code. Sorry, but there's no way to switch it.
>
> Thanks!
> Insomniac Games

I've asked if it is possible to use a save from a US / EU PS3 console. Not sure when to get an answer again. Maybe someone can help me out with a save, so to test this? Pretty please!!

*~Onna76~* said:
Make from the title: I HATE INSOMNIAC!

Sony Japan is not to blame for this at all as I got this message:

> Hi there,
>
>
> Thanks!
> Insomniac Games

I've asked if it is possible to use a save from a US / EU PS3 console. Not sure when to get an answer again. Maybe someone can help me out with a save, so to test this? Pretty please!!

wait I think there's some kind of hidden message in that text

Hi there,
>
>
> Thanks & Screw you!
> Insomniac Games

the ps3 is region free, any game from any region will play on any ps3. but it doesnt mean the ps3 wont be able to detect what region the disc is from, insomniac just took advantage of that feature. if it was region locked, that disc wouldnt work on your ps3. im pretty sure that if you put a u.s version of motorstorm in your ps3, the game would play like the u.s version, because my guess is that they never put region specifics in that disc.

That's right, at first I thought the JP PS3 was detecting it, but its the disc that's detecting the region of my console. That is why I'm asking for someone to help me out with a save from their US / EU console, from the start of the game, to test and to see if I can play the game with the Western Ratchet after all.

I just hope not many Western developers will take the advantage of this, because I hate it, this is not what I call "region free".

Insomniac officially screwed the ones with a JP PS3. Since the Japanese Ratchet is saved in the Game Data Utility, there's no way to copy that and therefore impossible getting the US Ratchet

I thought about this as soon as I started up the game without a save data and realized that it ain't the Save Data Utility which is saving up the Ratchet version. If that was the case, it was easy to copy it and to transfer it to another PS3.