By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would Sony be a better company being just 3rd party? (gaming wise)

richardhutnik said:
Bamboleo said:

Think about that. I don't know about PSone, but with early PS2 years and with PS3 Sony had losses. Huge ones according to some. Current situation of the PS3 might be better with the slim model, but before that Sony was in the black. Pitch dark black.

Would Sony be a better, more competent and profitable company if it's gaming division was focused only on game development for thirds?

I cannot see a Sony IP failing if properly implemented honestly. Games like Gran Turismo, Uncharted and Killzone would sell amazingly well on a console as the 360, while Ape Escape and Jak and Daxter would be the best games on a console like the Wii.

Sure they would also sell on their own hardware (and sells)... but the losses on hardware minimize such profit.

Sony as a company, stock holders, both Nintendo and Microsoft, gamers... Wouldn't it be better to everyone?

How has going third-party benefitted Sega?  They aren't relevant in the videogame business.  Rather than being a focus of the industry, they have fallen below the level of Capcom and Konami, if not at their level AT BEST.  

you're looking at this from the wrong perspective though. he asked if sony would be a better company. if you're the ceo of a company who has tons of divisions, an electronics divsion, an insurance division, and a cookie making division. if the cookie making division is constantly losing money, why keep it running? they close it down and then all the ppl who like them cookies are saying "where's the cream fillin'?" you're looking at this from the cookie monsters' positions, which is not what he asked.

outside the gaming community, the world (stockholders) doesn't care whether sony makes a console or not, they just care about the company making the right choice to follow the most profitable, and the most prosperous path.

Around the Network
hollywood85 said:
Bamboleo said:
REDZONE said:
@ hollywood85,I agree with you.@Bamboleo,Sony maybe selling at a loss but for your benefit.You would like them to only make software because they're selling a quality product.If it's anyone that should be sticking to software it should be Microsoft,with that fiasco they did with the xbox crappy hardware just to be out first.Those are the ones who should abandon hardware,they don't care about the consumer,they care about profits,so you decide.

Yes, but if someday I turn to be a stock holder, sure I'll look away from Sony. If I was just asking frm a gamer prespective I wouldn't create this thread.

But even from gamer's vision (and gamer here means everyone, not just only Sony fanboys) Sony as a 3rd party would be insane.

It's a win - win of both sides. Company and gamers. The games still exist, only on other platforms, and also if you're a stock holder, you're doing very good.

no way dude, without playstation, gaming is so dead for me, screw nintendo,  I'm not spending my money on rehashes of old shit, and will not be compliant on old outdated tech, with no intrest in making actual games (screw you wii sports, and fit, and anything else wii can kiss my ass), more SMG (an actual new great innovative mario title), metroid, and Zelda that's what I want, and M$................................ if I have to play one fucking dime next gen for online gameplay someone is going to get punched in the face. I don't know who....but somebody, nickle and dime for every single little thing, to me without sony or playstation, console gaming becomes one giant rip off, now while that perfectly fine for you, to me it's bullshit, so my opinion on the matter is that you kindly stfu, go buy a ps3 and buy the games, so Sony can be the money maker you want them to be, that's the real win win.

it's called support people, anybody willing to give up 75%market share, invest all of the billions made into new risky, and awesome ideas......all for the good of the customers!!! is a company you need to support. it's so stuipd the logic, of turning your back on the people out for you! and willing to sacrifice themselves big time to do so, when it's your support that's helps them, and keeps them going (DUH!!!). gaming would suck ass if sony was a only a third party developer.

my 2 cents.

btw I would say the same shit if M$ or nintendo was in sony's position.

get your head out of Sony's ass.  Seriously I support Sony but don't even think for a second they are losing money for you. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Playstation is such an established brand, Sony wouldn't be better off to sever it. Selling at a loss didn't work out well for Sony with the PS3 but a Playstation is still a product people obviously want. They can change their business model next gen (especially if the PS4 is similarly built to the PS3), cutting off would be just stupid.

Look at what MS is doing in Japan to establish the brand of a product people don't really want, xbox360 prices in Europe were made low too, with plenty of advertising for the same reason. First gen xbox led to losses, RRoD fiasco led to more losses, you don't see MS pulling out because it's worth it having the system. Same with Sony. They make their games to market their platform, not the other way round.

alekth said:

Playstation is such an established brand, Sony wouldn't be better off to sever it. Selling at a loss didn't work out well for Sony with the PS3 but a Playstation is still a product people obviously want. They can change their business model next gen (especially if the PS4 is similarly built to the PS3), cutting off would be just stupid.

Look at what MS is doing in Japan to establish the brand of a product people don't really want, xbox360 prices in Europe were made low too, with plenty of advertising for the same reason. First gen xbox led to losses, RRoD fiasco led to more losses, you don't see MS pulling out because it's worth it having the system. Same with Sony. They make their games to market their platform, not the other way round.

bolded: i agree

underlined: MSFT didnt enter the games race for profit, they did it to hedge gaming from stealing their potential computer software revenue. it doesnt matter if its profitable or not. THEY think its worth it, so they wont pull out. Sony, on the other hand, went in for the money.

I don't see Sony ever going 3rd party. They use the Playstation platform to push their other technologies like Blu Ray. Given that Sony also owns movie studios and the like, I can see them getting more and more into using the Playstation as a distribution platform for all kinds of media that they produce, market, and sell for profit.

Maybe they don't make a bundle up front on the hardware but they profit greatly when you consider the big picture.