By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which company is larger?

Isn't Nintendo in the top 3 or somethin in Japan?

Around the Network

Just check Wiki, they got all the figures rather then personal opinions:

Sony Total Asset $230.5 billion (2009)
M$ Total Asset $77.888 billion (2009)
Nintendo Total Asset ¥1.8 trillion Yen (2009) or $19.35 billion

Sony got TV, movies, music, games, cellphones, tvs, cameras, computers, it's the titan among the 3. Though it does stretch a bit thin after buying BMG, and Sony Ericsson is bleeding year after year.

Of course Nintendo makes the most money from gaming (all the best selling games are 1st parties, and they always sell innovative but cheap last gen tech consoles), and M$ monopoly the OS and Office market, wild success of Win 7 gives them plenty of bullets to throw at third parties.

So all big 3 are rich in their own perspectives.

PhalanxCO said:
There aren't enough face-palm gifs in the world for this thread.

Sadly, truer words were never spoken. It's almost as bad as shipped vs sold.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

from marketwatch.com

Microsoft: Market cap $265.22B

Sony Corp: Market cap $36.87B

Nintendo: Market cap $46.40B

if you go by market value: MSFT wins by a LARGE margin.
MFST: 265.5 billion usd
NIntendo Company: 3.9 trillion yen = about 41 billion usd
Sony corporation: 3.44 trillion yen = 36.8 billion usd.

edit: if you go by marketcap. 

msft is the second largest company in the world after exxon mobile. even though there a like 3 or 4 companies that make more profit then msft. 

source: http://www.google.com/finance/stockscreener#c0=MarketCap&c1=PE&c2=DividendYield&c3=Price52WeekPercChange&region=us&sector=AllSectors&sort=MarketCap&sortOrder=1

Around the Network

Questions like these are always guaranteed to create issues.

Rather than ask a (usually) bias-orientated forum you can use the internet - all the info is online - and come to your own conclusion.
Already you have got back many different answers. Who do you believe?

Just bear in mind that the largest company is not necessarily the richest and the company that's the most valuable doesn't mean it has the biggest cash reserves.

Although not factual I like to weigh up companies like boxers. In the heavyweight division is Sony and MS. Sony because of it's hands in so many pies.

MS - not near as enough products as Sony but totally dominant in it's main fields by a huge (over 90%) margin.

And little lightweight Nintendo. Everything it does is games related but pound for pound the best fighter IMO.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I was never going to anyway. I just felt like writing something on this thread. Sorry.

well. in all. sony and microsoft are in the same market (with microsoft leading in pc saftware and sony in the sellphone market. well i've never seen them put the owner of sony or nintendo on the richest man in the world catagory so??? but for the forums microsoft sony nintendo.

good point tingyu So all big 3 are rich in their own perspectives and justinian also

Isn't the Fortune 500 (list of 1-500 biggest companies in the world) suppose to answer all these questions?

In 2009 MS was ranked somewhere between 100-140. No sure where Sony or Nintendo were, but probably further down the lis.

fortune 500? microsoft 35 gamestop is ranked higher than sony and nintendo

hey wait? sony's bigger because they are involved in more. microsoft second and nintendo becase they are in less indutries.

and yes they are to big to fell but they arn't stupid. they won't need a bailout!!!!

(wii move ur blocking natal) ha ha ha