By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple thinks they are competing with DS/PSP, launches Game Center

"Let's compare that to the competition... the PSP and DS... we blow them out of the water."

Wow, that's hillarious. Their last jokes were already great (iPad, OS4.0), but now this!

Apple is now officially in the comedy sector!

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network
rutea7 said:
Plaupius said:
rutea7 said:
Apple needs to either release a real gaming system or GTFO of the gaming world, thats how i feel.

they obviously have no gamers working at apple to tell them how to do it properly, they are obviously not concerned about quality or value, they only want a quick buck from casual gamers.

Ahem. Apple is building a gaming platform, piece by piece. It's the 3rd parties that make all the games. With regards to gaming, Apple has so far provided two frameworks specifically for games: one for wireless communications for multiplayer games over bluetooth or wi-fi, and now the Game Center. So I think it is fair to say that Apple has not been making a gaming system, it is the developers and gamers who are using the devices for gaming.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Apple makes pennies out of the App Store sales, they are not after a quick buck from $0.99 sales.

they dont need the profit from the apps store cause they make like 100% profit from their products alone. The "gaming" functionality is just a lure. thinking they are competing agaisnt two gaming handhelds that cost less than half of what their product costs and have a real focus on gaming and a good library of REAL games and not crappy stuff.

what gamer spends 500 bucks on a thing to play cheap looking games? if someone gets it its for the other functionalities, i can get that, i understand. but saying it competes against true gaming platforms is a joke.

There are 50 million iPhones and 35 million iPod Touches sold to users. The iPod Touch starts at $199 and seems to be favoured by gamers because iPod Touch owners buy more games and spend more time playing them. So you don't have to spend $500. And no matter what, the fact that the iPhone and iPod Touch are now gaming devices is because the developers and users want to make and play games on them. We vote with our wallets and no matter how deep you head is in the sand, that won't change.

Silver-Tiger said:
"Let's compare that to the competition... the PSP and DS... we blow them out of the water."

Wow, that's hillarious. Their last jokes were already great (iPad, OS4.0), but now this!

Apple is now officially in the comedy sector!

Wow, you talk a lot of rubbish, just because you don't agree don't mean its not true, the iphone/touch GAMING market has already passed the PSP's, i'd say its made a huge impact in the handheld gaming market.

85 million iphones and touches have been sold to date, all offer superb gaming at low prices, once again, I sold my ds and psp and bought a 32gb ipod touch, I have already had much more fun with it than the psp and ds combined and the best thing? I have bought about 50 games for it which would cost no more than one full priced PSP or DS game lol.

The haters in this thread should open their eyes a bit more, your being left behind! the iphone/touch is making huge strides into the portable gaming market and has been for the last year, all major developers are on board, OS4 is just around the corner then the new models later this year, things are only going to get a whole lot bigger from here.

scottie said:
leatherhat said:
You could combine all 50,000 games together and still not have the quality of a single psp or DS game.

You know you own some games that are on the Iphone? RE4, Myst. Probably more, cant be bothered checking all of them.

Sure, the majority of those 50 000 games are rubbish. But the Iphone has a lot of good games

Those games (especially RE4) have controls, or lack of controls I should say, that make them nearly unplayable

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Most people don't get the idea.
In the future more and more people will have smartphones and those phones will be able to run more and more complex games.
As this spread, will people want to have to purchase and carry both a smartphone and a gaming portable ?
That is what is doubtfull..

The natural evolution in this area is eventually for gaming portables to disappear, the only question is when this will start happening........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

iPhone/iPod Touch 'blow PSP and DS out of the water'...? XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Ail said:
In the future more and more people will have smartphones and those phones will be able to run more and more complex games.
As this spread, will people want to have to purchase and carry both a smartphone and a gaming portable ?

The natural evolution in this area is eventually for gaming portables to disappear, the only question is when this will start happening........

I agree that there's pressure to go that way, but I don't think it's quite so cut and dried. The ubiquity of the PC hasn't killed the growth of the console. Consoles have continued to grow by offering values that PCs have a hard time realizing, such as lower price barriers to entry, local social gameplay, and interfaces optimized for gaming.

The challenge to handheld game consoles is to seek out and deliver similarly unique value that phones have a hard time providing. The extra challenge to handhelds is that people are more amenable to having multiple specialized devices in their homes than in their pockets. Not an easy task, but I don't think its insurmountable.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Plaupius said:
rutea7 said:
Plaupius said:
rutea7 said:
Apple needs to either release a real gaming system or GTFO of the gaming world, thats how i feel.

they obviously have no gamers working at apple to tell them how to do it properly, they are obviously not concerned about quality or value, they only want a quick buck from casual gamers.

Ahem. Apple is building a gaming platform, piece by piece. It's the 3rd parties that make all the games. With regards to gaming, Apple has so far provided two frameworks specifically for games: one for wireless communications for multiplayer games over bluetooth or wi-fi, and now the Game Center. So I think it is fair to say that Apple has not been making a gaming system, it is the developers and gamers who are using the devices for gaming.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Apple makes pennies out of the App Store sales, they are not after a quick buck from $0.99 sales.

they dont need the profit from the apps store cause they make like 100% profit from their products alone. The "gaming" functionality is just a lure. thinking they are competing agaisnt two gaming handhelds that cost less than half of what their product costs and have a real focus on gaming and a good library of REAL games and not crappy stuff.

what gamer spends 500 bucks on a thing to play cheap looking games? if someone gets it its for the other functionalities, i can get that, i understand. but saying it competes against true gaming platforms is a joke.

There are 50 million iPhones and 35 million iPod Touches sold to users. The iPod Touch starts at $199 and seems to be favoured by gamers because iPod Touch owners buy more games and spend more time playing them. So you don't have to spend $500. And no matter what, the fact that the iPhone and iPod Touch are now gaming devices is because the developers and users want to make and play games on them. We vote with our wallets and no matter how deep you head is in the sand, that won't change.

whatever, the whole concept doesnt appeal to me. if apple decides to get into the gaming market with a gaming device it might be something to look into but i dont care for iphone, ipod touch or ipad.

those are pretty big numbers but a lot of those ppl who own it dont game or even use half of the funcionalities. i know ppl who got it just cause they wanted the latest shiny thing on the market.

i'll get myself a nds and a psp with the titles that appeal to me. thats how i cast my vote.

get whatever rocks ur boat

EDIT: OOOOOOOOOOOh, i just saw ur occupation on ur profile. LOL! that sure shed some light into this argument. i guess it's legit to defend your source of income.

famousringo said:
Ail said:

I agree that there's pressure to go that way, but I don't think it's quite so cut and dried. The ubiquity of the PC hasn't killed the growth of the console. Consoles have continued to grow by offering values that PCs have a hard time realizing, such as lower price barriers to entry, local social gameplay, and interfaces optimized for gaming.

The challenge to handheld game consoles is to seek out and deliver similarly unique value that phones have a hard time providing. The extra challenge to handhelds is that people are more amenable to having multiple specialized devices in their homes than in their pockets. Not an easy task, but I don't think its insurmountable.

I think smart phones will win because of the pocket issue honestly.

It's stupid, but lets face it, for a gal it might be ok to have several  phones and handhelds in her purse, but as a guy i already struggle with a phone and I'm not going to start carrying around a man purse ...

There is no doubt in my mind either that in the next few years the user base for smart phones is going to grow quickly to 300 to 400 million users...( btw Iphones, androids phones and so on...)

rutea7 said:
Plaupius said:
rutea7 said:
Plaupius said:
rutea7 said:

whatever, the whole concept doesnt appeal to me. if apple decides to get into the gaming market with a gaming device it might be something to look into but i dont care for iphone, ipod touch or ipad.

those are pretty big numbers but a lot of those ppl who own it dont game or even use half of the funcionalities. i know ppl who got it just cause they wanted the latest shiny thing on the market.

i'll get myself a nds and a psp with the titles that appeal to me. thats how i cast my vote.

get whatever rocks ur boat

About 20% of the folks where I work get an Iphone as a company phone.. So they don't even have to pay for it...