By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - National pride in Gaming

since the release of the first Xbox from Microsoft it's been widely accepted that Japan is a country that loves it's own electronics whilst in general shuns most others,apart from Apple I believe,but then no one shuns them lol

however try turning the tables and people go crazy,is it so hard to believe that a great deal of americans love the 360 because it is american made?

Not all of them no,but yes I believe there is a number of Americans who have that mindset.In most american made movies or tv series where there's a family,a house in the suburbs and the sort of perfect lifestyle that can only be witnessed in tv or film,there's an Xbox I find.And it's not just 360's,back when the PS2 was giving the original Xbox a thoroughly good hiding in terms of sales,the Xbox was still the console you would see.

Now this isn't a blast at the USA,most members of this site are longtime gamers that look past where a console was made,but the more casual US citizen,who only picks up a console now and then,like a bachelor or a surburban family,they probably do.If I had to put a number on the amount of americans who take pride in having a truly american console,I'd say it's between 1-5 million of the 20 million or so sold in the USA.

feel free to disagree.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012

Around the Network

what does it matter really. Most everything in America is made some where else.

It's made in China.

Like the PS3 and Wii.

@commonMan

but it's an American console in terms of who it comes from and what it means to them.

It doesn't matter to me as such,I'm just tired of seeing people ripped into on this site for making the obvious and probably true assumption that a certain amount of US citizens enjoy the 360 for it's americanness...that is not a word.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012

More American buy the Wii over the Xbox 360.

More American buy Japanese cars over Americans cars.

More American buy Samsung and Sony TVs over any American brand TVs.

More American buy Yugioh and Pokemon cards over Magic cards.

This thread fail on so many level.

Around the Network

BTW...Didn't the PS2 outsold the Xbox last gen? Didn't Atari Jaguar (a American game console) lost to the Sega Genesis and SNES?

Your point makes zero sense whatsoever.

The Wii is crushing the 360 in America. The Wii is made in Japan.

Last Gen the PS2 crushed the Xbox in American. Sony is from Japan.

BenVTrigger said:

Exactly!  This thread makes no sense at all.  Sound more like a desperate Sony fan trying to defend why the PS3 is failing in America.

bonkers555 said:
More American buy the Wii over the Xbox 360.

More American buy Japanese cars over Americans cars.

More American buy Samsung and Sony TVs over any American brand TVs.

More American buy Yugioh and Pokemon cards over Magic cards.

This thread fail on so many level.

tbh.. Japanese = quality while US is not... so that's all rather easy to explain...

OT:

Obviously both Japan and US have alot of citizens that are proud of their nation and will 'support' it by buying products made by theyre own country..

Japanese people are very nationalistic but theyre not buying the electronics so much because of nationalism but because they trust the makers of the electronics..

Magic isn't nearly as big as pokemon TGC.. that should be obvious.. and I own ALOT of magic cards (waste of money)

altogether, yes the OP is right.. the Xbox 360 even has a little advantage in the UK because UK feels related to US (language and the history of US-wise). Just as the Wii and PS3 have a major edge in these territories..

HOWEVER there is one major factor noone here mentioned.. the Japanese do not play first person shooters while very few Americans play JRPG.. the intrests in these continents are different and Xbox 360 has well established online + Exclusive games as Halo for US and PS3 has great hardware and 3rd party Japan support giving Japan a much better experience..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

bonkers555 said:
BenVTrigger said:

Exactly!  This thread makes no sense at all.  Sound more like a desperate Sony fan trying to defend why the PS3 is failing in America.

How did you reach that offensive assumption? Reported.