By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The pressure of the trophy

JerzeeBalla said:

RolStoppable said:

If the only reason you keep playing a game is that you want those 100 %, then that's usually a sign that it isn't really a good game in the first place. And once you are done, it's likely that you never touch it again.

I have to respectfully disagree. 

Case in point, I think Bayonetta is a fantastic game. I love to play it, however, I have beaten it and I mostly play games for the story. This means I have no real reason to play it after the story wraps up. I still continue to play because I would like to get 100% on it. Now, that doesnt mean it wasnt a really good game simply because Im only playing to "complete" it. I hope I am explaining this right.

In short, Im just saying that playing a game in pursuit of trophies/achievements only doesnt mean the game isnt good. Not in all cases anyway. Stuff like Avatar and Terminator Salvation, yeah probably. But like I said earlier, I still play RB2 and DJ Hero in pursuit of trophies, and I find them both really entertaining.

You missed the point.

He's not saying that the only reason to get 100% is for the trophies, but that if 100% is gotten just for the trophies, then the game was not fun.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

I've almost always completed 100% of every game I got since the PS1 :P And it's always been something I love doing rather than a "pressure". For example, I didn't stop playing MGS4 until I had unlocked everything there was to be unlocked and got every single emblem... I cleared the game 14 times :P.
I also got the platinum trophy on God of War III... but I didn't stop there :P I also cleared the game on Chaos mode and that doesn't unlock anything and I'll probably start the game again on Chaos and finish it without upgrading any weapon or getting any Feather/Gorgon Eye/Minotaur Horn... I mean, getting the platinum trophy is just the beginning (for me :P). Also, I don't care whether the game I get has trophy support or not as there will always be stuff to unlock or complete :D and it's not a pressure, just something I love doing :D
But I get what you mean... I'm sure a lot of people just play games to get Trophies/Achievements... even games they probably don't like or don't want to play anymore.

Oh, by the way, I'm new to this site (well, actually I've been lurking around the site since a few weeks before the Slim PS3 came out until today when I finally decided to create an account :P) So this is my first post here.
Sorry if my English sucks, it's not my main language >_

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Can I borrow your time machine some time? I hardly find the time to complete a game once,

Jdevil3 said:
I've almost always completed 100% of every game I got since the PS1 :P And it's always been something I love doing rather than a "pressure". For example, I didn't stop playing MGS4 until I had unlocked everything there was to be unlocked and got every single emblem... I cleared the game 14 times :P.
I also got the platinum trophy on God of War III... but I didn't stop there :P I also cleared the game on Chaos mode and that doesn't unlock anything and I'll probably start the game again on Chaos and finish it without upgrading any weapon or getting any Feather/Gorgon Eye/Minotaur Horn... I mean, getting the platinum trophy is just the beginning (for me :P). Also, I don't care whether the game I get has trophy support or not as there will always be stuff to unlock or complete :D and it's not a pressure, just something I love doing :D
But I get what you mean... I'm sure a lot of people just play games to get Trophies/Achievements... even games they probably don't like or don't want to play anymore.

Oh, by the way, I'm new to this site (well, actually I've been lurking around the site since a few weeks before the Slim PS3 came out until today when I finally decided to create an account :P) So this is my first post here.
Sorry if my English sucks, it's not my main language >_<.

You really like video games, don't you?

Although I'm not known as one of the representantive of this site, I welcome you in the name of the whole community. Have fun! (Your English is really fine by the way)

Take a look at my photos on flickr

VivaLaWiida said:
Jdevil3 said:

Sorry if my English sucks, it's not my main language >_<.

You really like video games, don't you?

Although I'm not known as one of the representantive of this site, I welcome you in the name of the whole community. Have fun! (Your English is really fine by the way)

Yup, I've loved video games since I was a little kid and got my first console... That console is known as the "Family Game" here... but I think it's called SNES there... I'm not sure :S It's the one that had the Super Mario Bros game.

I'll try to post a picture of the console I'm talking about... I hope I do it right :P

Here it is:

Now that I think about it... I haven't played any Mario games since then :P

Oh, BTW, I'm not sure if the right way of replying is by clicking on the "reply" button or clicking on "quote"... I clicked on the quote button because everyone seems to do that :P

Thank You for welcoming me :) I'll try to enjoy the site as much as I can ^_^

Around the Network
Evocation said:

Can I borrow your time machine some time? I hardly find the time to complete a game once,

If it's me you're talking to then... well... I don't have a time machine xD but I wish I did! :D and if I had one I would lend it to anybody who asked ^_^

Oh, and the reason I had the time to do all that in those games is because I spent like 6 months with MGS4 until I had money to buy another game (because I spent all my money buying the PS3) and played it only once in a while :P and I got the platinum trophy on God of War III so fast because the game is rather short and easy :P (the only mode that's a bit difficult is Chaos mode)... so, it's not like I have a lot of free time or something like that :P

I have about 50 games, and no platinum trophy & proud.

I have Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3 but wont play them till they get trophys though. I was like half or more through both of them and my HDD died, I can't find the incentive to play through either of them without an additional incentive (trophies).

So whilst I think to some extent trophies effect sales. I think most people nowadays would still buy a good game without them. It's not so much that people won't buy a game because it doesn't have trophies, it's more of the case that people will buy a bad game because it does have trophies (ala avatar).

Either way on the 360 it's not a big deal. Platinum is a little worse since the incentive to get every trophy means that you're going to be doing a lot of tedious, menial tasks in all your games, and to some extent by the end of this process this ruins the experience.

What really bugs me though, most of all. Is how developers are adding crap into there games just for trophies. Ever since Goldeneye every FPS on the market feels the need to place random 'intel' and other crappy items throughout there game. What the f is that about? It's an FPS... not a sandbox, or exploration focused game... so annoying.

I think you should get all trophies just by playing through on the hardest difficulty. So the trophies would only be like "complete level 1 on easy", "complete level 1 on normal" ... "hard", and so on.

seriously though, i am addicted. I need help. Really. somone help..

Xero said:

I have Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3 but wont play them till they get trophys though. I was like half or more through both of them and my HDD died, I can't find the incentive to play through either of them without an additional incentive (trophies).

I think you should get all trophies just by playing through on the hardest difficulty. So the trophies would only be like "complete level 1 on easy", "complete level 1 on normal" ... "hard", and so on. 

Well, as far as I know Disgaea 3 has trophes now.

and just playing through on "hard"would be a little too easy imho, that's what Terminator Salvation does..

there must be some more challenging trophies than that in games, but not tedious ones like the "treasure hunter" in FF13 or 10k kills in Resistance 2 or reaching highest lvl in Warhawk and so on, these are just way too extreme

radiantshadow92 said:
seriously though, i am addicted. I need help. Really. somone help..

If you read some comments in this thread, it will help reminding you that games are supposed to be fun and they are a great opportunity to escape from reality (you shouldn't be addicted to them and restrict your life only to games, though). I think I'm in a good way to forget trophies and concentrate only on the game. If it's really fun to collect them (in my case it was Uncharted) and if you have enough leisure time to do so, just do it. But if it's more work then fun (like in Final Fantasy XIII), I would give up and move to the next game.

Take a look at my photos on flickr