By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A better way to get what you want after 3.21

Ok lets face facts, users like me are NOT going to be able to keep 'Install other OS' after 3.21.  We can shout and scream but its not going to happen.  It anoys me becuase I have Ubuntu on my PS3 which I use for retro emulation.  But the fact is Sony are going to choose security over Linux any day of the week.

But I say we don't take this laying down, we fight for what we want and we use EU law to get something in return for this loss.

EU Directive 1999/44/EC:
The goods must
· comply with the description given by the seller and posses the same qualities and characteristics as other similar goods
· be fit for the purpose which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase.
· are fit for the purpose for which goods of the same type are used
· show the same quality and performance, which are normal in goods of the same type and which consumers can reasonably expect. This will also take into account any public statements made about the specific characteristics of the goods by the producer, seller or in their advertising.

Now that is law in the EU so we actually have the legal right to keep 'Install other OS' - But instead of this lets threaten Sony into giving us a load of other stuff.

I say we DEMAND the following for them breaking the law:

• MKV video support,
  • Multi region PS1 and PS2 support on backwards compatable models
  • ipod support
  • A direct port of Firefox used on Linux platforms with full flash support, better GUI, and a vast array of plug-ins
  • NTFS HDD support

These are easy things to do for Sony and I think many people would feel that gaining these but losing the other OS would be a fair trade off.  I am against priacy, but I am also against being robbed of features I have paid for.

We have the law on our side, and I think this is something that can be pulled off if enough people get behind.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network

I am not going to sit back and watch Sony screw us over, we stopped Simon Cowell with Facebook we CAN get a something back from Sony for our loss.

Join the facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110549712296723

I'm starting a blog too:

http://usersvssony.blogspot.com/

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Playstation Share Blog would be a good start and a good way to advertise your blog/facebook group. And yeh, the iPod Support would be great.

Tuganuno said:
Playstation Share Blog would be a good start and a good way to advertise your blog/facebook group. And yeh, the iPod Support would be great.

Ok, thanks.  I'll give it a go.

only777 said:

But the fact is Sony are going to choose security over Linux any day of the week.

Still better than the alternative of mass piracy. Do you really want to take the chance of people pirating so much games that developers stop supporting it? It happened to the PSP and it can definitely happen to the PS3.

"What I'd thought I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes..."
~ J.D. Salinger, "Catcher in the Rye"

Around the Network
only777 said:

• MKV video support,  -Would be awesome (add OGM while you are at it)
  • Multi region PS1 and PS2 support on backwards compatable models  -Agreed.
  • ipod support - Agreed.
  • A direct port of Firefox used on Linux platforms with full flash support, better GUI, and a vast array of plug-ins -atleast fix their shitty browser.
  • NTFS HDD support -No way in hell it will happen, but would be nice

Interesting.

Keep dreaming my friend. XD MKV support would be awesome though. Now I am dreaming too. XD

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Count me out. I'm fine with what Sony is doing.

If you read ToS there is small print on reserving the right to change blah blah blah, and reserving the right to change, PSN terms of service at will. In fact you have no right to PSN, Sony could remove service if they wanted to.

With the only real disadvantage being that you can't use PSN I don't see how Sony are liable. Besides independently you can still do everything as advertised. You can use linux, you can use PSN. Just not from the same HDD anymore, the console still supports other OS as stated only its most current version of firmware did not. 

What about developers who drop support on online games even whilst they're being sold @ retail? (like Nascar 09)

I'm pretty sure if you looked into it further nothing they're doing is illegal. Plus not enough people care. I certainly don't.