By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The best value on the Virtual Console has been released: Ogre Battle 64

Ogre Battle® 64: Person of Lordly Caliber™
Original platform: Nintendo 64™
Publisher: Square Enix
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Mild Language, Mild Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber is a tactical RPG originally released for the Nintendo 64™ system. Featuring a gripping storyline with many possible endings, plus a genre-defining character class system, this strategic epic has rightly retained its place in the hearts of tactical RPG fans for more than a decade. The game tells the story of Magnus Gallant, a recently graduated officer of the Palatinean Army who is assigned to the troubled southern region of his native land. There he witnesses the plight of the lower classes – the victims of a tyrannical ruling elite whose only thought is for the preservation of its own lofty status. With civil war brewing, Magnus is faced with a terrible choice: to betray his own noble origins in the name of liberty, or to turn a blind eye to the evils of his rotten society.

Now, some of you may not knonw this, but Ogre Battle 64 is awesome. It's easily - easily - my favorite RPG from that generation. It has its problems, and its system is nearly impenetrable in places, but for what it is? There's nothing better. Nothing.

I have to go retrieve my Wii so I can buy this.

Oh, God.

Okay.

Who's getting it?

I'm going to make a topic to talk about the game after I buy it, holy shit.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: I have been informed that it was released in EU on Friday. That's pretty cool for folks who haven't played it yet!

Rol, don't buy this

Around the Network

Do you mean this is out today in America? At first I thought this was a late post from the European release, but then your edit suggests it isn't.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Veder Juda said:
Do you mean this is out today in America? At first I thought this was a late post from the European release, but then your edit suggests it isn't.

Yes it is out today in the states.

I'm going to get it. But I need some time to play it first. I'm too damn busy with irrelevant stuff at the moment like college.

Chrizum said:
I'm going to get it. But I need some time to play it first. I'm too damn busy with irrelevant stuff at the moment like college.

There's no rush to play it: it's an enormous game, probably the longest on the VC right now, and it requires a serious investment to get through.

Now if you wanted to buy it now to show your support, that'd be something else.

Around the Network

I played it back on the N64, bought it at launch. I also played the SNES original; actual cartridge, not emulated.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Veder Juda said:
I played it back on the N64, bought it at launch. I also played the SNES original; actual cartridge, not emulated.

I only played the original on the VC last year. That game is great.

I like this one better, though, and it might (read: will definitely) appeal to the younger gamers more.

OMG OMG OMG......

I just realized that my Wii is 100km away from me right now...

Love Ogre Battle! I need an Ogre Battle for the Wii.

Ogre Battle on SNES was great.

Ogre Battle 64 seemed to have blurry graphics. Still might give it a try.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.