By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What makes a candidate electable?

This is my first thread, so please don't be too harsh. Here goes.

Ok, so I was just wondering what makes a person electable to public office?

I am looking for personal views and nothing too much more. Just curious is all... I'll start.

I want  to see in the candidate:

1. Honesty.

2. Strong Principled  Leadership.

3. Big Ideas.

4. Values that match my own.

I want to see these qualities in that that order as well.

I want my WHOLE paycheck! I support the Fair Tax!

http://www.fairtax.org/

Around the Network
Eomund said:

1. Honesty.

Somehow that is always the problem.

5. Appearance.

6) Voter Apathy
Or
7) Strong identity.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

I think consistency on all the major issues is really important for most voters. I believe that is why bush (even though he was consistently wrong....) defeated John Kerry in 2004.

Around the Network

Well, as a former Federal Candidate, I can safely say that the vast majority of voters are looking for someone who isn't me.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Well, as a former Federal Candidate, I can safely say that the vast majority of voters are looking for someone who isn't me.

Lol sounds depressive;

damkira said:

I think consistency on all the major issues is really important for most voters. I believe that is why bush (even though he was consistently wrong....) defeated John Kerry in 2004. 

Kerry just didn't know how to handle the issue.  The whole "I voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it" thing would have gone away if he had the ability to explain himself in a coherent manner that the average Joe could understand.

What's sad is that these are the kinds of things that win or lose elections -- whatever stupid things the media decides to latch onto and play over and over again, spinning them into some kind of character flaw.  That's why politicians never give you a straight answer to your questions.  If they gave the media a straight answer, they'd just spin it into something else!

The other thing is that politicians seem to win not by doing things right, but by making fewer mistakes than their opponent.  It's very difficult to convince someone to vote for you if they aren't already on your side.  On the other hand, it's very easy to convince someone not to vote for you by simply saying anything that they disagree with.  People tend not to see the bigger picture, and won't vote for someone they disagree with on one little thing even if they align perfectly on everything else.  This is another reason for not getting straight answers out of politicians.  If they can just dance around the issue and make it sound like they're saying something important, without actually saying anything, they win.  But the minute they open their mouths and something meaningful comes out, they've just lost thousands of votes.

What makes a candidate electable?  Political maneuverability. 

For me... seeming like your going to screw up the country slightly less then the other guy.

At this point I expect the politicans to screw up and be shills for people who don't have the countries best interest in heart or care more about themselves then they do something that makes sense.

The general public doesn't care about the issues.

It's all about appearance.