By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What religion are you in?

Latter Day Saint (aka mormon )

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

Around the Network

Roman Catholic FTW

I'm a staunch believer in the Religion of Rocketpig.

My meetings revolve around drinking, infidelity, and shooting guns at things in the sky.

It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Catholic

Musouka said:
I believe that religion is not the problem of this word. It is just used as a decoy by the powers that be. The cause of all the world's wars is simple... money.

No, the cause of the world's problems lies in the quest for power. With the power comes the money and everything else involved.

And religion is just as guilty of it as anything else. The "problem" itself is people, not institutions. People are the ones eternally questing for power, though the right people grouped together in the form of an institution can be particularly damaging.

Objectivism FTW!

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Atheist

(D) None of the above.

a.l.e.x59 said:
fkusumot said:

You can't change your beliefs just like you can't actually want something that you don't want.

Actually, yes you can. By acquiring new information, you are susceptible to revising your beliefs.

True.

I was born and raised Christian (Lutheran and Baptist). As a child I wholly accepted these ideals I learned in Church and from my parents as truth as pretty much any child does. However, as I got older (pre-teens) I began to question some of the teachings do to differences in scripture and scientific theories regarding our history, dinosaurs, etc.

At that point I generally called myself Atheist, though in reality I was just anti-biblical history.

Then at 18ish I started to really think about religion and what made sense and what didn't. I came to the conclusion that I did believe in a God, but which path to that God made the most sense and wasn't an obvious craft designed by men.

I then spent the next 10 years or so reading various holy books (3x Bible, 2x TaNaKh, 4x Qur'an, 1x Vegas, 1x various teachings of Budda, etc) and a lot of other material about every major religion. I took a University classes on histories of each as well as religious history and thought in general. (At one point my Major was Theology)

During that time I focused my ideology around Islam with the undestanding that if anything ever came out that made me question the Qur'anic ideas presented, (i.e. I wholly ignored all of the Hadiths since they are no different that the Bible in that they were written many, many years after respective prophet and greatly differ from eachother and themselves). 

Over the last few years I have slightly altered my view from being a strict follower of Islam, in the sense of daily prayers, etc, NOT extremist, to that of someone who believes that I am by definition a Muslim (One who submits his will to God).

I don't pray in the formal way, I don't fast in Rahmaddan, I do eat pork, etc. My reasoning is pinned on a couple of verses in the Qur'an.

Paraphrasing...
1. Of the Muslims, the Jews, the Christians, the Sabians, and all those who believe in God and do good works, there shall be no fear. For they will receive paradise.

Basically this means ANYONE who believes in God and is a good person will go to Heaven.

2. The other verse is something like...there many paths to God and their followers should treat it like a race. If God had willed God could have made only one path. For God is Great....

Basically this shows that Islam and by expandsion all other faiths are not the only paths. God created them all on purpose with their own differences and similarities. This also fits in perfectly with the Islamic idea that God has sent a prophet to every group of people and obviosly they don't all follow Islam.

So, with that I have come to the conclusion that I am a Muslim, one who submits my will to God, however religions themselves in a structured life are meant for the weak. Those who cannot simply do good things and be a good moral person without that structure and forced obediance. 

Peace be upon you all. 

My religion is Knight Rider. If you saw my house you would see the shrine I have dedicated to KR.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Muslim. Fasts, gives to charity, follows food and drink restrictions. Don't pray regulary however. Not proud of that fact.