By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Is So Great About Lost Odyssey's Storyline?

imagine your self living forever through time and seeing countless people die, many of those people you know and met, could you then be more like jensen all happy hoppy? no of course not, kaim is dealing with all those memories and emotions, its like dealing with depression after your dad or mom dies and sometimes even worse your sister or brother now magnify that by 500 percent and you'll see why kaim doesn't show a happy go personality where you learns lots about him and him having a impressionable personality, how impressionable would you be if you live through one life time seeing all your friends and family die, i think i would loose my mind so LO storyline brings us into a chapter of kaims and his immortals existence and how they deal/live with it and what happens in an immortals life as we learn through kaims dreams that at least he has been through and witness a lot of suffering directly and indirectly from the people he met for as long as he's been living. its this kind of story telling that probably compelled many folks to finish the game.

Around the Network

I played LO near its release and I found it a damn pretty good game. Everything in it was compelling to me: Story line, the dreams, characters, battle system...

mrpink said:
imagine your self living forever through time and seeing countless people die, many of those people you know and met, could you then be more like jensen all happy hoppy? no of course not, kaim is dealing with all those memories and emotions, its like dealing with depression after your dad or mom dies and sometimes even worse your sister or brother now magnify that by 500 percent and you'll see why kaim doesn't show a happy go personality where you learns lots about him and him having a impressionable personality, how impressionable would you be if you live through one life time seeing all your friends and family die, i think i would loose my mind so LO storyline brings us into a chapter of kaims and his immortals existence and how they deal/live with it and what happens in an immortals life as we learn through kaims dreams that at least he has been through and witness a lot of suffering directly and indirectly from the people he met for as long as he's been living. its this kind of story telling that probably compelled many folks to finish the game.

Yes, this was all in the 1000 Years of Dreams stories, which I found very compelling.

Man I spelled it out for you in the first reply, here.

I can't believe you don't find it very emotional... It is what makes LO so amazing to me. I love how human it is and how deeply connected I get to the characters because of it. I don't think I've cried so much in multiple times for any other game... To get real feelings pouring out of me when playing, is quite an accomplishment and at least makes this game up there, among my favourites.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

That doesn't mean I can't discuss it. I created this thread for that purpose.

g-value said:
Khuutra said:

Yeah, but this is pretty cut-and-dry. After this all that's going to happen is peopl are going to list things that they found appealing and genuine, and your response will be "No, I cannot help but disagree with you, it feels like nothing was [insert quality here]".

You are appealed to by different things. Let me illustrate the point:

In Tales of Vesperia, what did you think of the scene where Estelle cried out, "I want to be myself"? If that wasn't particularly emotional for you, nam one that was and say why.

In Lost Odyssey, what did you think of the moment when Sed says, "Just when I had found you again"?

The dream sequences, mainly.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Lost Odyssey storyline wasn't great. It was kinda cheesy. The characters weren't all that great, either.

Khuutra said:
g-value said:
Khuutra said:

Yeah, but this is pretty cut-and-dry. After this all that's going to happen is peopl are going to list things that they found appealing and genuine, and your response will be "No, I cannot help but disagree with you, it feels like nothing was [insert quality here]".

You are appealed to by different things. Let me illustrate the point:

In Tales of Vesperia, what did you think of the scene where Estelle cried out, "I want to be myself"? If that wasn't particularly emotional for you, nam one that was and say why.

In Lost Odyssey, what did you think of the moment when Sed says, "Just when I had found you again"?

I never found Tales of Vesperia to be emotional. I thought that everything surrounding the goverment's curruption/guilds/Yuri and Flynn's arguments to be very deep and believeable and that all the stuff about the aer/blastia/apatheia/entelexeia was complex and very well thought out. I also thought that the characters from ToV had some real great interactions and developement. The relationship between them were great as well. Vesperia also had some awesome plot twists too. There are of course flaws within ToV's narrative such as plot holes like why exactly did Zagi want Flynn during the beginning of the game and that it failed to properly forshadow some events/plots twists like when Alexei revealed that he was behind everything. They forshadowed it well but he never really showed up much within the game before that point so it felt a bit random. ToV also had a problem with putting some important story elements into sidequest instead of putting it inside the main storyline such as finding out that Hermes (the man that created the Hermes blastia) was Judith's father and Yeager's back story. But overall, I loved it. The ToV movie should be out online by the end of May, hopefully it can clear up some of the plot holes.