By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Sales? A wakeup call?

Mesototo... THE WINNAH!
Cat & a taco... bonus

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network

It is doubtful that M$ and Sony combined in the this and the next 2 gens will make as much money as Nintendo will off of the Wii.

Kwaad makes one thread and gets 150 posts...
Its already on pace to beat the Smash brothers thread!!!
But I predict its doomed!!!
Where are the charts to back up my argument?

Do you know why I think most arguing over systems is silly.
Beacuse if it came down to it... everyone would snatch up a free system no matter who they are or what they do.

Come to fantasyland with me for a sec.
If I GAVE you a 360, Wii, and PS3... for FREE... With all the bells and whistles.

YOU WOULD
a) Take Them
b) Not take them

MOST... if not all... WOULD CHOOSE A.
BECAUSE PEOPLE LOVE FREE STUFF!

I don't think a person here would go...
Man... that's a nice offer, but I don't care for casual games... and I don't dig all those FPS, and I'd rather NOT have a Blu-Ray player.

In FANTASYLAND all biases go AWAY!
And everyone can enjoy themselves.
This is apparently where I'm from =)

If you are one of those people that chose B...
Can I have the system you didn't want...? I could always use another.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

I would take them. If it was a 360/PS3 I would sell it on ebay and buy more wii games.

See, if I had less kids/life and more game time. I would own all and play all. but, I don't. So i own the best one for my tastes and play the hell out of it.

I'm going to go with the pattented...

Attach Ratio means almost nothing... as it changes with time and to make any predictions based on attach ratio is foolish... as those atach ratios will change

The Wii attach ratio SHOULD be lower because it's already cheaper, and already hitting the casual market. Lots of casuals own it... casuals don't buy much software... this never bothered the PS2 much. Of course the PS2 attach ratios are different because it didn't hit the casual market as hard and as fast as the wii did.

Not all "hardcore" owners who want one can even get their hands on a wii at the moment. I have a freind who was about as Nintendo Fanboy as could be... he was trying since it came out to get a Wii and didn't end up getting one till last week.

I expect the 360 will have a much better attach ratio and probably much better sales until the Wii outpaces the 360's console sales by quite a bit... as it will take a while for every "hardcore" gamer type to get a wii since a lot of the crazy grandmas are getting them.

Also  you have to take into account that systems themselves cost money.  If someone made 250 dollars to buy a wii... next year he makes about the same 250 dollars... this can go to games.

A lot of 360 owners can afford more games this year, because they bought their systems last year.

Around the Network

i see the wii fianly starting to slow dwn near teh end of 2008...until the holiday season rush again---but by slow down i dont mean sales will plummit--i just mean we will see steady weeks around 100-125k

mesoteto said:
i see the wii fianly starting to slow dwn near teh end of 2008...until the holiday season rush again---but by slow down i dont mean sales will plummit--i just mean we will see steady weeks around 100-125k

Until the next color is released where it will go back up to 300K

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

^true that

Wow... havn't seen such a vibrant discussion on this site in a while. Thanks Kwaad for injecting some controversy.

And I'll give Kwaad one thing, he's right about the Wii bias. Sure 360 gets some respect around here, but no cudo's. Where's the AC sold X# of games in one week thread?

And as for PS3... well, maybe a site that's all about sales is the wrong place to look for love for those in last place. But hey, it's doing better, sorta.

Kwaad said:
Game_boy said:

I just own a Wii, and I too am worried about the low attach rate for "real" games. Yes, the arguments for including the two games (outside Japan) are valid, but it looks to me like there are two audiences with me: "super-casual", which never buy any games after Sports, Play and one bad movie tie-in, and me, who buys all the first-party games. It's like Gamecube, but disguised. In this respect, Microsoft stands to make a lot of money in the future from massive third-party game sales, while Nintendo will calm to near-Gamecube profits after the hardware, uh, "fad", is over.

Sales of Wii Fit, MKWii and SSBB will deterime if the super-casual audience ever buys games. If not, it looks like I'll have to buy 10,000 copies of Advance Wars DS 2 to persuade them to continue with core franchises.

I wasnt doom-saying it like that.. but overall that is my point. There truely arent many games being bought for it. That's what amazes me. There just arent many 'real' games being sold.

Gee could the lack of games have anything to do with the fact the Wii was written off as a clear loser by intolerant people and that games take about a year to develop anything meaningful.. hmm I think it could I think it could!