By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo now the name people most associate most with videogames?

For years the word Playstation meant videogames, when poeple thought of videogames they thought of the words Playstation and Sony. Do you think Nintendo are now the name most people associate with videogames? Remember i'm not talking about only gamers, I mean the whole public. In other words, if you randomly picked 100 people and said what company represents videogames, would the most popular answer now be Nintendo?

Around the Network

I think the Playstation brand is still very strong. Sony had been the market leader for over 10 years before Nintendo recaptured this "title". But as both the DS and the Wii are selling like hotcake more and more people should think of Nintendo again when thinking of gaming.

My grandparents still say playstation mostly, but they are starting to say the wii more and more. Especially since they started playing Wii Sports, at their church and our house at holidays. Which to me is hilarious.

1-12 year olds say nintendo
13-20 year olds say xbox.
I would have to say 21-31 year olds would think of playstation.
32+ would probably be nintendo.

This is in the US. And it all comes down to, what brand was dominant when you were growing up.

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

I still say Nintendo, even when I mean Xbox or Playstation. I've seen it the other way around, though. Even the President said, "Turn off the Xbox."

I assumed he was talking to me so, I turned off the Xbox. I later turned it back on.

Through my experience, in the beginning it was always "Nintendo" or "gameboy". Then it was Playstation for a while. Now its a mix of all three. The term 'xbox' is becoming more spoken in America, not sure for the rest of the world. (definitely not in Japan lol)

Around the Network

No love for "Sega"? ;_;

from my expierence people who aren't into gaming still say Playstation. Others who know about gaming somewhat it's usually a mix of Playstation or Nintendo. ANY handheld though is automatically a gameboy in my family though. Doesn't matter if its a PSP or DS my mom still calls it a gameboy when I see her.

Here it is still by far PlayStation. It even has its own nickname in finnish language, ''Pleikkari''. Sony really did good work with marketing PlayStation. Sony's first party games are also only games with finnish dubbing or subbing so parents buy PlayStation consoles more easily for children because young children or course can't understand english (all X360 and Nintendo games are english only).Nintendo has some recognition also but mostly from old GameBoy days (Pokemon phenomenon). Nowadays I know only one girl with Wii and DS. Otherwise everyone has PS3 or X360. I don't know anyone with PSP though...
Worldwide Nintendo has probably nowadays a more recognition.

Well, it depends on the demographic. Old people are going to say the Wii, children too, Xbox for teenagers and Playstation for young adults.

But Nintendo will always be associated with videogames. C'mon, this company has made more AAA games than any other company and shaped the industry with games like Super Mario, Zelda and Wii Sports.

d21lewis said:
I still say Nintendo, even when I mean Xbox or Playstation. I've seen it the other way around, though. Even the President said, "Turn off the Xbox."

I assumed he was talking to me so, I turned off the Xbox. I later turned it back on.

you must be a republican.