By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To Nintendo 3DS Announcement

Squilliam said:
So how long until the PSP3D shows up?

hopefully never, i really dont see how 3D will offer any benefit to handheld gaming.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I get a feeling its gonna be another Wii scenario where Sony doesn't think the Nintendo 3DS will do well and it just sells ridiculously well.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Actually, I've seen a demographic table once and it was all very balanced.
A lot more adults own a ds then on the psp. So, while the comment wasn't actually bad this time, it was still a stupid thing to say. As if only 9 year olds play on the DS.

leatherhat said:
Sony is putting a lot of effort into 3D, so I think a success with the 3DS will only help sony, as backwards as that might sound. A success with the 3DS will help to continue to push 3D as a whole into the mainstream. That will help every company trying to push 3D.

Too many 3's in that small post

I think if the quality of the 3DS is high it could hurt Sony in the short term i.e. 3D on the PS3. I mean I agree that this will raise interest in 3D but if it works well than interest in buying a new tv for 3D might be hurt a little

huaxiong90 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
radiantshadow92 said:

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now." 

LINK HERE

Uh...what?  The minute you introduce Pokemon, Mario or Zelda to '3D', not only will 'kids' be hooked with it, but all the same markets that the DS has been targeting this gen.  And soon all the other genres and companies will follow.  Soon you'll have '3D Tetris' to '3D Metal Slug' to '3D Dragon Quest' to '3D Final Fantasy Tactics'.

Seems like a pretty standard PR response of 'we got nothing to say and 'DS is for kids'.

Be a little fair, dude. He just said it'll be interesting to see how this'll translate to sales.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main demographic of the DS owners 5-17 year olds?

Just because something can appeal to kids, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'll take "kiddy games" over a large percent of other games which try too hard to be mature.

The main demographic for any console is males between 5-17 years old.  The difference is, the DS also captures the most groups outside of that standard demographic, which is why its doing so amazingly well.  Especially women and 'older' gamers (gamers over the age of 25).  Two demographics that are very low or virtually non-existant on other systems (such as PS3/360/PSP).

The DS successor will hit that demographic just as well.  Especially with 3D.  Puzzle games, Strategy games and simulation games abound.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Shorty11857 said:
leatherhat said:
Sony is putting a lot of effort into 3D, so I think a success with the 3DS will only help sony, as backwards as that might sound. A success with the 3DS will help to continue to push 3D as a whole into the mainstream. That will help every company trying to push 3D.

Too many 3's in that small post

I think if the quality of the 3DS is high it could hurt Sony in the short term i.e. 3D on the PS3. I mean I agree that this will raise interest in 3D but if it works well than interest in buying a new tv for 3D might be hurt a little

Well, Sony will have a big headstart on 3D with the ps3, and I don't think the 3DS will be competing very directly with 3D tvs or consoles. The only thing it might hurt is sony is planning a 3D handheld it could be seen as a "me too" type of situation. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

hopefully never, i really dont see how 3D will offer any benefit to handheld gaming.

Its currently of more benefit than the <2% of TVs which can support 3D in the marketplace.

Tease.

They'll probably make 3D on PSP2 (and people will call it a rip off which is ironic) .. well i still think Metal Gear AC!D is the first to use it but it was gimmicky.

btw  that is a PSP not an Alien lifeforce.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Sony still trying to pigeon-hole Nintendo handhelds in the childrens demographic! They just need to stop it already!

ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

Well same but I said similar things about Wii and DS.  Really, I just need to see how it works until I can fully understand whether it'll benefit or not.  I mean I personally don't go see movies in 3D, nor will I buy a 3DTV (now at least) so I can play console games in 3D (especially having to wear those silly glasses).  But still would like to try it out myself for 3D console gaming... as maybe I'll like it once I try it out.  Taking the same approach with this right now.

But I do expect a PSP 3D to eventually be announced.  Considering Sony is really pushing the 3D for their console, I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't do it for their handheld line as well.  Same with Nintendo.  Pushing it with their handhelds, I expect their next console to incorporate 3D as well.