By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who would you like to see enter / reenter the console race in the next gen?

Who would you like to see enter / reenter the console race in the next gen?

Apple 22 21.36%

Google 14 13.59%

Sega 52 50.49%

Other? 15 14.56%

Total:103

where's my intellivision in the poll!

Around the Network

google, it like the only market they havent gone into

Sega for sure. I'd like to see the good old Sega vs Nintendo stuff again.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

llewdebkram said:
Sony and Microsoft, it's boring seeing Nintendo walk all over them without having to fight.

The only reason Nintendo is dominating is because the casual market is consolidated behind one console (the Wii) while the core gamer market is split between the 360 and PS3.  If it was just Wii vs PS3 it would be at the very least even in sales with maybe a slight advantage to the PS3 by this point.

That is more or less why I dislike the 360.  It needlessly splits the core gamer market and doesn't really offer anything to make it better (no blu ray, no 3D, no built in wireless, no cutting edge games etc).  

The only major innovation from the Xbox and 360 that's been released thus far is making people pay for playing multiplayer games online and charging more for inferior 1st party parts (wifi, hard drive etc) and then suing everyone who makes accessories for your system.  I will admit both of those are new, but neither is a step in any kind of positive direction for anything. 

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Ralph H. Baer the original home games console inventor though he is 88 years old now so I guess he is probably happy with retirement

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:

I've never had a googleburger.

When has there ever been two consoles?

Generation 4 had Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Turbo Graphix and Neo Geo.

Generation 5 had Jaguar, Nintendo 64, Playstation and Sega Saturn as well as 6 or 7 lesser names consoles (Apple's "craptastic" Pippin).

This is the first generation with less than 4 consoles.

I would love to see more developers join the console wars again. It's been Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft for too long!

This is only my opinion.

llewdebkram said:
radiantshadow92 said:

I've never had a googleburger.

http://www.google.com/googlegulp/

This is only my opinion.

pb1285n said:

Generation 5 had Jaguar, Nintendo 64, Playstation and Sega Saturn as well as 6 or 7 lesser names consoles (Apple's "craptastic" Pippin).

I would love to see more developers join the console wars again. It's been Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft for too long!

it will be 4 before the end of the generation onlive. though at them moment only the pc/mac release dates been released

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

pb1285n said:

Using your example, we have more than 3 consoles this gen as well.  They're just focused in limited markets (such as Japan or Brazil) or such as the PS2 which is STILL alive.

However, when someone says there was only '2 consoles' in the past, they were probably talking about 2 major consoles.  Specifically the NES and Sega Master System along with the SNES and Sega Genesis.

In reality, while stuff like Turbo Graphix and Neo Geo existed, they didn't even make a dent in the market Sega and Nintendo held.

Six upcoming games you should look into: