By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Microsoft bleeding Sony on purpose?

ssj12 said:
cool48 said:
Just your friendly neighbor Bill Gates trying to do something nice.
 .. its Steve balmaur now... Bill isnt CEO anymore.

Yes, and Balmer is an idiot.. that's why I love him so much.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network
eugene said:
Microsoft has only had a minor $50 price cut in 2 years. Even with the 40 gig out now, they are only within $50 apart. They are letting Sony get some market share but not a significant amount to where they can do any damage with software sales and seeing as how they lose substantial money on every unit sold, it only hurts them more. Microsoft knows that they could do a death blow or at least significant damage if they followed with similar price cuts or at least bundle Halo 3 this holiday but their not. Why? Is this just conspiracy theory? I personally thing that Microsoft wants them to dump 5 billion + dollars in gamming like Sony made them do last generation. Eye for and eye kind of thing

Microsoft is doing a deal for Halo 3... sort of.. if you have an original xbox and a live account you can get Halo 3 for free by buying a 360 and migrating your live account from the original to the 360 http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/halo3/promotions/buyxboxgethalo.htm

Sony is bleeding pretty badly, when this generation started, I was worried about Sony as a threat to the Wii. Now I see the 360 is the only real threat to the Wii despite its no market in Japan.

I think most Sony fans have wisened up and realized the 360 is their best bet this generaiton.

But the difference is that Microsoft can afford to jump into the hole but Sony cant. Thats why I think Microsoft is just playing witht them. They financially can do a "death blow". But yes, its much smarter to make money. But Sony is in Microsofts palm.

HappySqurriel said:
Andir said:
Nobody knows for sure. Sony could be making a profit on every console now. There's is really only one company that can give you that information. Sony.

True enough, although Sony claimed to be losing money on the 40GB model when they launched it ...

Realistically speaking you have to consider that the differences between the 40GB PS3 and the 60GB PS3 is 20GB of hard-drive space, and the loss of the Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesizer from the PS2; I suspect that these changes probably don't add up to more than (about) $50 in savings. Beyond that the price reductions come from other hardware improvements (65nm process) and volume discounts; I think it wouldn't be reasonable to expect much more than $150 or $200 in savings from this.

So, basically I suspect that the 40GB PS3 is selling at a similar loss to what the 60GB PS3 was at launch.

you're both correct and incorrect. At this point a 40GB is not even in production, theoretically they could be the same price as a 60 or 80GB drive and thus little to no savings would be incurred. Honestly the 40GB drive confused the hell out of me. As far as a 65NM process compared to a 90NM process yeah there's savings in material per machine but initially cost of starting production etc and research to get them to 65NM without changing anything about how it actually works significantly cost more then the short term reductions. It actually costs a LOT initially.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Sony is bleeding pretty badly, when this generation started, I was worried about Sony as a threat to the Wii. Now I see the 360 is the only real threat to the Wii despite its no market in Japan.

I think most Sony fans have wisened up and realized the 360 is their best bet this generaiton.

dear god your starting already..  360 is horrid.. all the consoles suck.. PC RULES ALL!!!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

According to Sony itself, they were hoping to break even some time in 2008 on hardware.

ssj12 said:
cool48 said:
Just your friendly neighbor Bill Gates trying to do something nice.
.. its Steve balmaur now... Bill isnt CEO anymore.

Really?...shows you how much I care about Microsoft

ssj12 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

dear god your starting already.. 360 is horrid.. all the consoles suck.. PC RULES ALL!!!

Haha, now thats what I'm talking about.  I'm hoping the Wii wins out and all consoles turn away from being PC like to get more of the "hardcore" gamers to come here.  PC gaming isn't even expensive anymore, in fact its cheaper than console gaming now (Console+HDTV+$60 games) where as PC games drop down to $20 dollars within a year of release and we can get a good PC for cheaper than the console+HDTV combo.

PC has FAR superior controls as well. 

But back on topic... I do think Microsoft could kill Sony if they wanted but everyone pretty much already has, I don't think the PS3 really has any chance this generation.  Microsoft is probably concerned with making profits right nowand then killing the PS3 can always come later.

PC Gamer

Maybe Microsoft will do a $100 price cut one day before Metal Gear Solid 4 launches.