By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VG Charts Gaming Demographics

bumidan said:
So based on our data:
Over 30 Male - don't like platformers like Mario - perceived as for younger people.
Under 25 Male - 2/3 like Mario/Zelda, 2/3 likes JRPGs

By the way, what is the difference between JRPGs and Western ones? Would it not be similar in gameplay, except for characters and art? Can someone give an example of a Western RPG?

Also, I always thought Zelda was an RPG, but I've never really played it. But from my recollection (long time ago - NES) - it was quite similar to Dragon Warrior, which I always thought was a RPG.

Makingmusic - I understand your point regarding the games I find as "too kiddy". The point I was trying to make is that it does not interest me. I am not saying they are bad games because they are kiddy. It's more of a priority ranking. For example, if I have the option of 2 games to play and only a limited amount of time - I would choose the genres I like before I would choose the platformer/"kiddy" game.

Again, I am not saying I don't like them. It's more that there is no interest on my part.
Like I said, a long time ago, I've played Super Mario Bros, etc. and liked them. However, it just seems like as I age, I have no more interest in those types of games. (Though it can change in the future).

So far, based on this limited sample size (as per the title of the thread) - over 30 males seem to not like Mario (in this example) because it has been deemed (by 2 people mind you) as being "kiddy".

Therefore, I would like to see more replies and ages - just to see if that generalization holds up - at least for VGCharts members.

since i dont really play rpg's i have also been wondering that the difference between jrpgs and wrpgs is

Around the Network

To continue:
I guess I am curious if someone over 30, especially Males - likes or more accurately, have games such as Super Mario and Zelda - as their top genre. Meaning that they would play those games ahead of other games, if they have a choice.

So what is your age and sex endurance? what is your favored genres? least liked?

Only on im a male 34 and I love Mario Galaxy

also love RPG, war games, FPS, and your party games

bumidan said:
To continue:
I guess I am curious if someone over 30, especially Males - likes or more accurately, have games such as Super Mario and Zelda - as their top genre. Meaning that they would play those games ahead of other games, if they have a choice.

my dad likes mario the most but doesnt like zelda

Around the Network
bumidan said:
So what is your age and sex endurance? what is your favored genres? least liked?

i am a male and am 16 years old,my faovered genre is action/adventure and my least favorite is rpg

also i think people would notice you more if you use an avatar

Oh by the way, what is RTS on consoles? I know Command and Conquer.
However, I think RTS is more for PC - because it has a mouse and makes it easier to click different areas quickly.

Over 30M - only 1/3 - liked Mario type games

What is your favored game in those genres endurance?
dazmando - so far an exception - re: Mario Galaxy. What is your current games on those other genres? And do they have lower priority in terms of play compared to Galaxy?

I dont know how to put an avatar. Or more accurately I haven't looked at it and figured it out yet.

21 Male