By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Help me decide what to get this Christmas?

Well, I've always been a huge Nintendo fanboy, and have had the Wii since it came out. I've really been loving it, it has been everything I expected it to be, and Galaxy has pleased me to no end.

But for this Christmas, I am caught in a bit of a struggle as to what I should do.  I can either get an Xbox 360, which would be cool I think, having two consoles and all, and get the Halo 3/Ultimate Alliance/Other game bundle for $350 and maybe another controller or something, or I could get a lot of the Wii hardware and games I've been looking at for quite some time.

Being my favorite site for videogame news with a good mixture of people well educated on both systems, I thought I'd ask what you think I should do.

Should I get a 360? What hardware/games should I get on a $500 total budget?

Or

Should I get a lot of Wii games/hardware? What would you recommend I get?

Thanks in advance. :p 

Brawl FC: 0473 - 7465 - 0612

Around the Network

Matters what wii games

but if anything else, i would go with 360, unless theres a price drop soon, most likely the halo3/forza2/marvel deal wont last that long.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

What wii games do you currently have? Hard to say if you are missing too many good games that you should get a lot more, or if it might make more sense to get a 360 (or even PS3). Generally, what types of games do you prefer?

If you have an HDTV, you should get a PS3. If not, I would go with a 360 with Mass Effect and Halo 3.

I only have Galaxy and TP for the Wii at the moment, and don't have an HDTV.

If you think I should get Wii games/hardware, I'm looking for specific titles you think are good.

As far as games, I tend to prefer Platformers, RPG's, and fighting games, but would like a non-Metroid FPS, and am open to nearly anything else. Games like Brain Age and Trauma center don't interest me much.

Around the Network

Edit: Use that $500 to buy an HDTV. I recently got a 50" Toshiba DLP for $660 with tax.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

Edit: Use that $500 to buy an HDTV. I recently got a 50" Toshiba DLP for $660 with tax.

I'd really just prefer to spend the money on games anyways, since my family might be getting an HDTV for everyone anyways.

Valdens said:
rocketpig said:

I'd really just prefer to spend the money on games anyways, since my family might be getting an HDTV for everyone anyways.

Ah, okay. In that case, since you already have SMG, I'd opt for that Halo/Forza/Marvel 360 for $350. You won't be disappointed.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I'd go with the 360. Granted there are like over 500 dollars worth of Wii games i want...

but I mean, you'd be using this with someone elses money right? Someone elses money you always gotta opt for the console in my book. Well unless it's unlikely you'll be able to afford many games.

If it's just your money (as in money you've earned in a job) and not gift money i'd get the Wii games.

Valdens said:

I only have Galaxy and TP for the Wii at the moment, and don't have an HDTV.

If you think I should get Wii games/hardware, I'm looking for specific titles you think are good.

As far as games, I tend to prefer Platformers, RPG's, and fighting games, but would like a non-Metroid FPS, and am open to nearly anything else. Games like Brain Age and Trauma center don't interest me much.

Based on the few games you have, I suggest more wii games over another console.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2  

Resident Evil 4

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Super Paper Mario

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Battalion Wars 2

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition

Link's Crossbow Training   (for the zapper more than the game)

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption  (other FPS are there, but doesn't mean you shouldn't get this too!)

Rayman Raving Rabbids  if you have a second controller...

(above is in no particular order.)