By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII - Impression time

silicon said:
I thought the beginning was awesome. They actually did a really good job of combining tutorial, story and game play. I'm only 6 hours in though.

6 hours in?  That's good, then you only have another 19 hours of tutorial to go through :)

Still though, awesome game, my 2nd favorite (after IX - Noone will ever beat Vivi!)

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network
Kemsus said:

My own top 11 of the final fantasies i have played:
1. FF6
2. FF7
3. FF9
4. FF10
5. FF8
6. FF4
7. FF5
8. FF13
9. FF1
10. FF2
11. FF12

if you'd ask me if could remember a single song from FF13 i would not be able to.

Glad to see #9 up there, no doubt you didn't much like 13 you also don't seem to like 12 :)

Songs in game no, but man, the "defeated enemies music" I'm gonna have nightmares about that 

Kilzoned82 said:

FFXIII is total garbage. Compulsory tutorial for the first third of the game- 15 hours is a joke. Most games can be completed within 15 hours. But this will take 15 hours of your time to get through the boring chapters. Another 15 to 20 hours on the longest chapter before you finish the last two chapters in the last 10 hours. Long drawn out boss battles towards the end. 40 to 50 hour game to finish the main story. Side missions can only be accessed when you have completed the main story.

The story is utter crap and does not make any sense. The characters are whiny emo kids. The characters know what is going but the gamer has no idea what is going on. Why should we really care about Cocoon or saving the planet we do not get attached to the characters in this game to really care about saving them. Character development is very poor in this game.

Typical line used over and over: "Cocoon, fa'cie, l'cie, focus, focus, focus".

Battle system is complex if it was left to manual commands. Using ATB and you can more or less just press X all the time for most of the game. The Paradigm shift battle system is crap. Options with the classes which are more or less the same: defend or attack- depends on the situation. The game would of been a lot better if they had the leveling system. The boss battles are so boring and pointless. Have to stagger all the enemies but it takes so long to finish them off. FFXIII does not even play like a FF game. This is not Final Fantasy. Go from one cut scene, boss battle to the next and follow a linear pathway for first 15 to 20 hours of the game. Being forced to enter every fight. You can not just run away or sneak up on your enemy for a surprise attack.

FFXIII sound track is totally forgettable the music does not stand out. FFXIII only shining light is its cotton candy graphics. 1080p FMV scenes on the PS3, gameplay in 720p.

FFXIII without the FF name branded on it would of received a much lower score than the low 80's average on metacritic. Below 70 average would of been fair if it did not have FFXIII as its name.

Worst main series FF game. If this is the future of the FF series well it is a very bleak future. Squeenix have failed to deliver.

I think if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name attached to the game it actually would have gotten a better score on Metacritic, as everyone was expecting a certain "something" from a Final Fantasy Title..
However, you have to admit, since it does have Final Fantasy attached to it, it sold a lot more than it would have were it a new IP

I see potential in this game that hasn't been exploited. They could have done a better job, that's for sure, but I think all games are like that, and people just aren't used to it becaues it's new and different. I find old RPGs are shit, because lots of stuff could be more intuitive, and those things are actually better in FFXIII, but it could still be better overall.

To me, this game isn't worse than other RPGs, it's just good in different ways, and bad in different ways. I'm still impressed and I right now I like this game more than any other RPG, but not any Strategy RPG, because most still do stuff better than this one.

..anyway

It's boring to me. I'm gonna try Star ocean instead.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

If only more characters were like Sazh and Frocobo :(

The big negative for me is the battle system, I'm enjoying the story and I don't mind the linear aspect of the game, but this half turnbased half real time is just not good. If your gonna do real time you need to do it all the way and give full control to the player otherwise you end up with a limiting system that would be better as a full turnbased system.

this game is best game this gen almost get your moneys worth more than any other game aswell doesnt end after 12 hours