By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Question for Wii owners

Near $500 with a good story. My crap job made me work on day after a MAJOR blizzard (I nearly died the day before on the way to work). No one was coming into the store so the boss let me out early. I went across the street to Toys R Us, to look at Videogames, board games, Legos and action figures(a am extremely immature for my age). I see a shelf FULL of Wiimotes and Nunchucks. This was at a time when they couldn't keep those in stock. So even though I didnt have a Wii I'd figure Id buy(3+2 nunchucks cause I alredy had one) them while I could. I go across the street to target just for the hell of it and as I approach the VG area I see a Wii, so I immediatly go to the clerk where there was a couple were asking for one, so I butt in and ask for one as well. While the clerk is taking those 2 out somone comes behind us and aske for the last one. I went back to TRU to get Warioware cause they didnt have it at Target.

I've only seen Wii's in stores 2 more times and always feel a little lucky when I see one.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

@CDiablo, you don't mention any extra games? so for $500 how many extra wiimotes/nunchuks did you buy? Did you sell the others or something?

Wii free (present)
Extra WiiMote free (present)
Zelda € 59,-
RE 4 € 39,-
Super Paper Mario € 49,-
Galaxy € 46,-
WiiPoints € 60,-
Classic Controller € 19,-

= € 272,- (or $ 390,-)

Wii - $250
3 more remotes - $120
3 more nunchucks - $60
1 Classic - $20
1 2000 Wii Points card - $20
Zelda - $50
Red Steel - $50
Wii Sports - $0

Total: $570.

Then right after that I bought

Elebits - $50
Metal Slug Anthology - $40
Used Monkey Ball - $40
Kororinpa - $40

Total by end of year: $740.

Then I got Trauma Center and Rayman for Christmas.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Wii + Wiimote + Nunchuk + Zelda + tax ~ $375

Around the Network

The price-based "Barrier of Entry" is one of the Wii's strongest points. You can spend less ($250) for the minimum Wii product, then gradually spend $150 to get everything else.

So, I bought a Wii at launch with Excite Truck ($300.) That was it. My upstairs neighbor and I would simply borrow each other's controller if we had guests over.

A few weeks later I bought a controller + nunchuck $60. Then I bought a controller + classic controller $60. I'm at $420, around the 360's Premium Price (without any games.)

Then Wii Play was released and duh ($40.) A few weeks I bought a second classic controller ($20.) Now that I've spent this money on Wii games, I have less of a need to get other systems because the next game I buy is $50, instead of at least $400 (console + game.)

And that's how Nintendo's going to do it this gen.

Edit: Forgot about Excite Truck at launch, whoops! 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

My Wii was free. But I spent an extra $150 on another controller, Godfather, and some Wii points right away. Since then I've sunk several hundred more into getting 4 controllers, and all the GC and Wii titles in my profile.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I ordered my Wii yesterday. I bought:

- Wii + Wii Sports Bundle
- Metroid Prime 3
- Extra Nunchuk
- Component cables

All in all (including shipping, I bought online at amazon.de) I spent 368€ (still cheaper than a PS3 ).

I was going to buy Wii Play and SMG too but those were sold out. That's why I will have a Nunchuk without a matching Wiimote in the beginning.

I don't have a TV yet in my new place, so the Wii will be resting for a few more weeks at least. As I said in other threads, I just bought because I was afraid it might soon start selling out in Europe too (it's already sold out in UK).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I spent £210 on a wii, 2nd controller (play wasn't released then), 2nd nunchuck, legend of Zelda and an adult magazine (that was for the wife)

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

I spent about $550 Canadian on mine - system, four controllers, and Zelda at launch.

The truth is, there would be a "Wii effect" even if nobody bought extra controllers, because a lot of people simply don't buy multiple systems. I'm one of them, and probably 80-90% of casual gamers fall into that category as well.