By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Were you gaming in the 1980s?

JGarret said:

When I turned 5 years old, back in 1987, I got a NES from my parents, and have very fond memories of games such as the three Mario Bros games, Ducktales, Castlevania, Contra, MegaMan, Zelda, etc...my older brother had an Atari 2600 which he got in 1979, but I never really played it much...started with the NES and didn´t look back...I´ve read about the 'crash' that happened in 1983 (I was 1 year old lol) and how the NES revitalized the U.S. console market (of course, back then I had no idea all these things had happened)...but anyway, a few gaming related stuff from the 80s that I remember:

- the company Sunsoft (remember that one?...Batman and Gremlins 2 for the NES, for example)

- the Nintendo craze (I still think that, relative to its time, the NES craze was even bigger than the Wii...anyone remember the Nintendo cereal?)

- the very fist issue of Nintendo Power (I still remember that one, it had Mario Bros 2 on the cover)

So, were you gaming in the 1980s?...if you were, what are some things you remember?...if you weren´t, have you any idea how things were?

in 87 i was only 2, gaming started for me in the early 90s,

Around the Network

Got a NES and had a computer for years

I got a NES on my 5th birthday in 1989. I got the 3-in-1 Mario/Duck Hunt/Track Meet, but the Power Pad broke so we exchanged the system for the version with just Mario/Duck Hunt.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I wasnt born until 1994 ...
only started gaming when i was about 10

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

I was born in the mid 70's and my teenage years blurred my early years a bit, but I do have great memories of Kung Fu and Burgertime on Collecovision. The original Zelda on the NES consumed many hours of enjoyment as well.

Around the Network

Enduro and River Raid on Atari!

I have gamed on pre-90 machines, if that counts (I'm 19 turning 20 this year). Have an Atari (forgot which model), NES, and MSX2-Arabic, and I also had a Commodore 64.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

i wasnt even alive in the 80s so my answer is NO

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

dtewi said:
O-D-C said:
no I was a sperm

I was going to say that!

*shakes fist*

Both of you were born within a few days of 1989!?

I think you were more arguably an egg, as I think they are not just produced and discarded constantly like sperm.

---

I was at most 2 years and 7 months old in the 80s. Didn't start gaming until 1995 or so.

Bunch of young'uns in here. Seriously, some of you guys are younger than The Simpsons!

Born in '81, first console was an NES (in '86-87, I forget which exactly). Although I also played games on my family's Apple IIE and later 386.

Man, I loved that NES. I remember wanting to see The Wizard just to see Mario 3. Those were the days! Ahh nostalgia.