By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So "Rock Band" was finally shipped for review ...

naznatips said:
I dunno. I still kind of expect it to be an overall flop. It's just too large and too expensive for the casual buyer, and that's who drives Guitar Hero and Rock Band sales.

I suspect that EA will still make money on it even with a relatively low volume of sales. If someone is willing to spend $170 for a music game, they'll probably also buy a lot of downloadable content for it.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Around the Network

@ Rasone

Nah ... I had posted a few threads about Rock Band - me getting it last week. It got delayed, so I did get it, I made this thread and added pics ...

It's not a knock on you - I had told folks it was coming, it's here, and I am going to review it. That's all.

Well I look forward to your review. Any chance you can post that when you get it finished?

Besides, I'm used to having my threads get ignored. I generally don't post one unless its 3am, I usually give it a shitty title, and at 3am my writting skills are about as lovely as vomit.

On topic:

I'm still trying to unlock the Coheed and Cambria song, I was halfway through the guitar part on hard (33 out of 58) when my Brother came and took it back to his place to practice drums. So far I think the set lists are amazing.

A quick note about Rock Band:

You don't have to buy it at $170. That's merely the ultra-delux bundle. The actual game is the normal $50-$60 + the perpherials.

Like I've said in other posts: Guitar Hero is $170 for the game and just 2 guitars. No drums, no mics, just 2 guitars. You get a 3 player Rockband (ie, superior) experience for a 2 player Guitar Hero 3 price.

I plan to pick this up at some time. Definately don't want to dole out the cash, but I have alot of kids that are dying for this or Guitar Hero.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

shams said:
If we get a 360 for my office, I'll consider getting this - definitely not a 1-player game :)

Coming next year from EA...

"Car Mechanics Garage" (move over GT!)

For just $50,000, you get a complete garage, with car parts, tools, ramps, a lift, diagnostic equipment and more. Download new cars (only $20k!), and have them delivered to your door.

Compete against players across the world, to see how can take an engine out, replace the valves - and replace it the fastest!

Nice idea, but give me a NASCAR pit crew simulation - with the hydraulic jack, insane power tools and a wheel with lugnuts. Fo sho, I'd buy that junk ...

Vroom-vroom ... 

In all seriousness, I have all 3 now - GHII, GHIII and Rock Band. Being able to sing - drum - or shred is a very engaging experience. I predict this is going to be one of the hottest holiday gift ideas for 2007. Yeah, it's bulky - yeah, it's an expensive price point, but it's something that adds a new twist to a very popular game. If folks pay $107 for GHIII, it's not a stretch for folks to pay an additional $70 for Rock Band. 

Around the Network

And remember...Its $107 for a 1 player experience.

Rock Band is totally sold out where I live. Guitar Hero 3 is not.
Very good sign. I think there's "room to share" the music experience.

mrstickball said:
And remember...Its $107 for a 1 player experience.

Rock Band is totally sold out where I live. Guitar Hero 3 is not.
Very good sign. I think there's "room to share" the music experience.

Most likley because they can't produce much at the moment. And at the moment you have to buy the bundle. The Bundle version is the only one on the market.

That may be the case as well.. Either way, atleast someone bought some :)

We (my wife and I) did the midnight thing at Best Buy and played it quite a bit yesterday, she on drums (she used to play) and I on guitar.

We were blown away by how much fun it is. It really is the ultimate party game.

The song list is much more varied than any other game prior to it, and the downloadable content already out is already more varied than all the stuff released for GHII.

Also, the number of master tracks is great.

Highly recommend this game, and I predict a year from now RB will have completly replaced GH as the "music game everyone knows about."

My 360 can blog!

Gamers have 3 choices this generation: The Exercise Machine, the Movie Machine, or the Game Machine.  What kind of gamer are you?

@ Just_Ben

Some places are selling the standalone version - which is different from the pack-in version. According to the case, you have to have the instruments to play with the pack-in, but not the standalone version.

It's going to be one crazy Christmas. I am compiling a gift guide for the holidays and this is certainly one of the *must-buys* for Christmas.

@ Rasone77
Yes, I will post another blog when I finish my review. I do hate being behind the review curve, but who's complaining?!