By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - are jrpgs dying?

jarrod said:
dunno001 said:
jarrod said:
dunno001 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Just put Persona 5 on the PS3 and watch it go to work

Not really. Remember that the Persona series (as well as the entire SMT line) are quite niche, and don't see huge (>1 million) sales. As much as I would love for Atlus to revive the JRPG worldwide, they just don't have the ability to do so.

I still think Persona 5's going to PSP.  SMT4 already went to DS basically with Strange Journey.

And I mostly agree with you on this. I think it's part of the reason that they've been doing more with SMT and Persona on handhelds- to move the series there. What I'm seeing, is Atlus JP watching the sales of the games, and determining where the next games will go. I'd not be surprised, since in Japan, Persona is seperate from SMT, to see Persona land on the PSP (and its successor) and SMT proper to go to the DS (and its successor).

Where I see the wrench is actually outside Japan. If Atlus JP decides to try a global market for the games, then the PSP is basically dead in the water. I also think the overseas PSP sales are going to be what leads to Sony leading the way into the next gen of portable systems, possibly having that announced as early as E3. And this announcement may also make P5 onto the PSP2 (or whatever it's called). But I can't bet away from the PSP, either...

I'd have agreed with your second point before, but Atlus USA just recently highlighted Persona PSP's western sales as helping contribute to their success this year (along with Demon's Soul and 101-in-1 Explosive Megamix).  I agree they'd do better with a big budget PS360 Persona 5 overseas (and truth be told, that's what I'd rather have), but I'd also say Strange Journey would do better as a full 3D Wii game overseas... at this point, I think Atlus just doesn't care.  They'll reuse PS2 assets on PSP on the cheap, do more than well enough and call it a day.

Kaneko said before that they had SMT games for Wii and PS3 in the works, but I really think that's all been downshifted to DS & PSP at this point... consoles just don't have the JP market to support the investment Atlus would need to take, and they can get by in the west anyway.

No they would probably be better of with making Persona 5 on the handhelds or PS3. The 360 isn't a viable platform for a niche JRPG game, since it's barely a viable platform for the more popular and mainstream JRPG titles. I think the sales of Demon Souls and Valkyria Chronicles prove that the PS3 is actually pretty viable for Niche JRPGs

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

JRPG's are pretty much the only ones I enoy, so I hope not. Maybe more "niche" then they were before

ShadowSoldier said:
jarrod said:
dunno001 said:
jarrod said:
dunno001 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Just put Persona 5 on the PS3 and watch it go to work

Not really. Remember that the Persona series (as well as the entire SMT line) are quite niche, and don't see huge (>1 million) sales. As much as I would love for Atlus to revive the JRPG worldwide, they just don't have the ability to do so.

I still think Persona 5's going to PSP.  SMT4 already went to DS basically with Strange Journey.

And I mostly agree with you on this. I think it's part of the reason that they've been doing more with SMT and Persona on handhelds- to move the series there. What I'm seeing, is Atlus JP watching the sales of the games, and determining where the next games will go. I'd not be surprised, since in Japan, Persona is seperate from SMT, to see Persona land on the PSP (and its successor) and SMT proper to go to the DS (and its successor).

Where I see the wrench is actually outside Japan. If Atlus JP decides to try a global market for the games, then the PSP is basically dead in the water. I also think the overseas PSP sales are going to be what leads to Sony leading the way into the next gen of portable systems, possibly having that announced as early as E3. And this announcement may also make P5 onto the PSP2 (or whatever it's called). But I can't bet away from the PSP, either...

I'd have agreed with your second point before, but Atlus USA just recently highlighted Persona PSP's western sales as helping contribute to their success this year (along with Demon's Soul and 101-in-1 Explosive Megamix).  I agree they'd do better with a big budget PS360 Persona 5 overseas (and truth be told, that's what I'd rather have), but I'd also say Strange Journey would do better as a full 3D Wii game overseas... at this point, I think Atlus just doesn't care.  They'll reuse PS2 assets on PSP on the cheap, do more than well enough and call it a day.

Kaneko said before that they had SMT games for Wii and PS3 in the works, but I really think that's all been downshifted to DS & PSP at this point... consoles just don't have the JP market to support the investment Atlus would need to take, and they can get by in the west anyway.

No they would probably be better of with making Persona 5 on the handhelds or PS3. The 360 isn't a viable platform for a niche JRPG game, since it's barely a viable platform for the more popular and mainstream JRPG titles. I think the sales of Demon Souls and Valkyria Chronicles prove that the PS3 is actually pretty viable for Niche JRPGs

If Pesrona 5's on one HD platform, it's going to be the other.  Exclusivity really doesn't make sense at this point unless it's moneyhatted.  Besides, Atlus already said they have internally developed 360 games in the works last year.  If P5's on PS3, it's most likely on 360 too.  Of course that doesn't matter, since it's probably on PSP anyway now. :/

And PS3's not a catch all for niche JRPGs.  Just look at 3D Dot Game Heroes, which got a lot of media attention, great reviews and then went on the sell a measly 12k.

They are not dying, they are just not getting the attention (from the developers) they need.
Forget all the haters FFXIII is a GREAT game !
It shows, when Squeenix puts the time in, they come out with something great.
Go ahead Squeenix, show us a trailer at this years E3 for FF15, then take 4 years to actually bring it to my living room, I'm sure it'll be great... It's the waiting part that sucks haha

| Sony Bravia 52" LCD | Sony Bravia 5.1 System |

| 20" iMac | 13" MacBook | M17X Alienware Gaming Laptop |

| 120GB Slim PS3 | 80GB Fat PS3 | 250GB Xbox 360 | Wii | PSP Go |

Faxanadu said:

Ah, you mean Wonderboy. That might be interesting, as I like Faxanadu, which is also a side scrolling adventure game, I guess.

The other three sound great - will probably check them out, thanks.

Oh yeah, if you like stuff like Faxandu, Zelda II, Ys III, Popful Mail, etc, I'd definitely recommend the Monster Worlds.

Just to summarize what you should think about getting (rereading my last post was still kinda confusing, sorry)...

2D Overhead ARPGs

• Beyond Oasis (Genesis) Sega
  • Neutopia (TG16) Hudson
  • Neutopia II (TG16) Hudson

2D Sidescrolling ARPGs

• Wonderboy III: the Dragon's Trap (SMS) Sega
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) Sega *or* The Dynastic Hero (TGCD) Hudson

...and actually, if you like sidescroller ARPGs, you may like Paper Mario (N64).  It's not exactly an ARPG (battles are turned based with realtime elements, somewhat like SMRPG but better implemented imo) and it's not exactly a sidescroller (3D world, but from a "side" perspective), but it has lot in common with them.  It also has a Zelda/Metroid style ability based exploratory puzzle design to it's world, which if you like those games could be a major draw.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Faxanadu said:

Ah, you mean Wonderboy. That might be interesting, as I like Faxanadu, which is also a side scrolling adventure game, I guess.

Oh yeah, if you like stuff like Faxandu, Zelda II, Ys III, Popful Mail, etc, I'd definitely recommend the Monster Worlds.

Just to summarize what you should think about getting (rereading my last post was still kinda confusing, sorry)...

2D Overhead ARPGs

• Neutopia (TG16) Hudson

2D Sidescrolling ARPGs

• Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) Sega *or* The Dynastic Hero (TGCD) Hudson

...and actually, if you like sidescroller ARPGs, you may like Paper Mario (N64).  It's not exactly an ARPG (battles are turned based with realtime elements, somewhat like SMRPG but better implemented imo) and it's not exactly a sidescroller (3D world, but from a "side" perspective), but it has lot in common with them.  It also has a Zelda/Metroid style ability based exploratory puzzle design to it's world, which if you like those games could be a major draw.

Thanks. I really want Faxanadu to come to VC though. Think I will get some of the games. Neutopia seems especially intriguing.

I just googled Beyond Oasis and realized that it is Story of Thor - which I know and always wanted to play.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
jarrod said:
Faxanadu said:

2D Overhead ARPGs

• Neutopia (TG16) Hudson

2D Sidescrolling ARPGs

Thanks. I really want Faxanadu to come to VC though. Think I will get some of the games. Neutopia seems especially intriguing.

I just googled Beyond Oasis and realized that it is Story of Thor - which I know and always wanted to play.

Neutopia's awesome, you won't be disappointed!  

I really, really want Faxanadu to come over too.  It's on the long list of ARPGs I want on VC (Crystalis, Golvellius, Ys III, Popful Mail, Quintet trilogy, etc)