By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Feature: Only idiots blame the 360 for FF XIII's problems

Idiots also claim that both versions are nearly equal.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

Around the Network

This article simply reminded me of all the times I have seen someone say "Just because a game has great graphics doesn’t mean it can’t have great gameplay" which may be a correct statement but it over simplifies things.

Back in the N64 days I remember most reviews of games included estimates of how long it would take to finish the game, and quite a few companies (Rare in particular) claimed estimates of 40 to 60 hours; which I think were remarkably accurate. When graphics were much simpler the amount of work it took to create content was far smaller which meant that in a reasonable development time (12 to 24 months) a small development team (20 to 40 people) could put together a massive single player game with multiple multi-player modes (each of which had several maps). Flash forward two generations where the focus has entirely been towards creating enhanced visuals and the work to create content has grown so much that a massive team (often over 100 people) working for a very long time (often 3 to 5 years) are producing shorter games with fewer modes.

To put it another way, there is a trade-off associated with visuals and a game like Final Fantasy XIII may be an example of that. With how much time and money was going into the development of it Square Enix may have had to cut out all non-essential content to make it possible to turn a profit on this game and for it to be released this generation.

only idiots don't blame the 360