By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FFXIII Staying PS3-exclusive it seems.

I LOVED ff8's first disk! ^_^ if thats any consolation? When I found out they were all from the same orphanage it kinda went down hill ._.;; I really liked 12!!! I thought it was so cool that I could set up my own party to play just like an MMO without people :P I had my tank, my healer and my DD XD it was so friggin awesome.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

FFIV is my first FF, but I have sort of gotten over my "first love" for that game and seen its flaws. VI and IX are by far my favorites.

naznatips said:
FFIV is my first FF, but I have sort of gotten over my "first love" for that game and seen its flaws. VI and IX are by far my favorites.

FF was my first too and I really only like it for nostalgic reasons and that's about it.  Hopefully FFIVDS will find a way to revitalize it and make it more appealing for todays crowds but I have the funny feeling it's going to be the same game.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing since I like FFIV, I just think people are going to play it for the first time and be disappointed. 

LordTheNightKnight said:
Borkachev said:
@Mr Stickball: the White Engine is made for multiplatform use, so 360 games using it is very likely.

Do you have a source on that? I've never heard about it being anything but a ground-up PS3 engine.

The White Engine is an exclusive seventh generation game engine built to be used with "all of the [Square Enix's] forthcoming next-generation games" on the PlayStation 3, as commented by Final Fantasy Versus XIII character designer Tetsuya Nomura.
The White Engine reportedly uses 4 of the 6 synergistic processing elements (SPEs) that are available to games running on the Cell processor, to achieve near-pre-rendered CGI quality in realtime.

That's from Wikipedia, so make of it what you will. But the interview in the OP (the part about programming the specs specifically to the PS3) seems to confirm it.

Um, all that proves is that they aren't planning on a port at the moment.

Correction: it proves that they aren't planning on planning for a port at the moment. If they considered a port even a minor possibility, they would have gone with more universal specs to save them a lot of trouble later if they ever decided to port it. So rather than just not planning on a port right now, they're not even considering the possibility that they might want to at some point.

That's still not a 100%, eternal guarantee, of course. But I think this cements it further.

1. I can't find the link, but S-E did state that FFXIII, and the engine, started on the PS2, so it is a multiplatform engine.

2. What makes you think other ports were not done as afterthoughts, with no plans of plans made in the middle of development? So again, it's just a denial, not proof. The only proof will be if the the 360 ends its cycle without a port of the game. Nothing short will prove the game won't be ported, or even add one drop of cementing any proof.

Yeah, the White Engine did start on the ps2.  However, "multiplatform" in this case could simply mean cross-platform ps2/3.  All we have is a shoddy Japanese translation to go on right now, and if they really had their own proprietary engine that worked on all platforms, including the 360, why spend extra money to license UE 3.0 for the Last Remnant?

Also, am I the only one here that isn't too fond of UE3.0 games? 

makingmusic476 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Yeah, the White Engine did start on the ps2.  However, "multiplatform" in this case could simply mean cross-platform ps2/3.  All we have is a shoddy Japanese translation to go on right now, and if they really had their own proprietary engine that worked on all platforms, including the 360, why spend extra money to license UE 3.0 for the Last Remnant?

Also, am I the only one here that isn't too fond of UE3.0 games? 

White Engine isn't done yet. They're working on it simultaneously with FFXII, and I believe they said serious development wouldn't even begin on Versus XIII until the white engine was complete...

They didn't want to delay all future games just so they could work on an unfinished engine. As we can tell with FFXIII, it's more challenging and taking longer than they originally thought.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

This proves nothing. It doesn't end speculation that the game will come to the 360, but obviously doesn't indicate exclusivity either.

I stand by what I have always said. I will be playing MGS4 on my 360 by the end of 2008, but will have to purchase a PS3 in 2009 to play FFXIII.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

lol @ starcraft.

suuuuuuuure buddy. if they make FF for the 360 they have to make it from the ground up, and cut things out as well. Dont see that one happening. As for MGS4, that would only happen if the PS3 still has a low install base.

Seeing as MGS4 will move a whole bunch of PS3's, along with other exclusives, I dont see this one happening.

mrstickball said:
I think they're reffering to the huge graphical overhaul that was VI to VII.

I remember the utter shock I had from playing the VII demo when it came out on PS1. I remember thinking "that's Final Fantasy? in utter awe.

Interesting that the developers had to ask "should we dev for Multi-plat?"...

That makes me wonder exactly what the programmers were preparing for. X360? Wii? Mobile Phones?

I actually thought the FF7 graphics were worse the FF6, and just about the ugliest game i'd ever seen... including Final Fantasy 1 and thinking "They went 3-D one Final Fantasy too early.".

twesterm said:
Borkachev said:
Final Fantasy 12 is a true landmark, one of the greatest works of art ever produced by the videogame culture. It has marvelous voice-acting and pacing, dynamic game-play, a soaring score, and has a 21st century storyline which asks profound and urgent questions about freedom, individual responsibility, wars and the lies politicians use to legitimate war. It also has some of the most interesting female characters in what used to be a horribly sexist genre.

I'm not sure how Square Enix will top something as magnificent as FF12. I just hope they come close to achieving its level of quality.

I don't think one in ten people who play FFXII actually understand what it's all about and why it's so great. This guy is one of the few.

FFXII may have had those things but it failed miserably in one key catagory:keeping the players interest.

For all of those things it had it just didn't have enough mystery or tense to make me want to stick with the story, the characters were boring and some even had no reason to really be there, the gambit system was cool but didn't allow for a lot of play, and the license system was terrible.

I won't flame you for liking the game, to each his own, but the game did nothing to hold a players interest except for the people that just got really into the story for whatever reason, loved the fan service, or kept telling themselves it must get good eventually.

Come on... Vaan's not boring... he's extremely unlikeable and annoying!  Also you got Lans from Ogre Battle.  To help fight.... the other Lans from ogrebattle... and I don't know... I kinda stopped playing after I got to the flying city and the British Sky pirate ripped off a Han Solo line... I was half surprised the magistrate of the flying cloud city with the mines wasn't Lando Calrisian.  Atleast he was being harased by a guy in a big suit with a helmet who talked with a weird voice.

good for ps3 and sony, bad for everyone who now has to buy another console.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.