By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island

I liked DKC better because there was 2p coop, and it was more challanging than YI.

Around the Network
Nintendownsmii said:
I liked DKC better because there was 2p coop, and it was more challanging than YI.

You think so? I think YI is way more difficult... although I realised today that DKC is challenging too, I thought that I could quickly play through some of the levels I loved, but that ate up more of my time than expected

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

DKC all the way!!! the first one

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

nintendo_fanboy said:
Nintendownsmii said:

You think so? I think YI is way more difficult...

Me too !

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

nintendo_fanboy said:
NOTE: I don't want this to be a discussion about which game is better because this is personal taste. As I already mentioned in another thread, I'm a little nostalgic today, therefore this thread about two platforming grandfathers. Anyways, I recently read a feature about Mario and his history, and one thing caught my interest in it. It was that apparently, Miyamoto was a little upset because Donkey Kong Country games sold better than Yoshi's Island, and he attributed that mainly to the superior graphics of those games. In my opinion, this is a little too simple because I personally prefer the three DKC games over Yoshi's Island, but as I said, that's not the thing I want to discuss about. The important thing for me is that I see all those four games on the same level of greatness more or less, but a lot of People seem to think that Yoshi's Island is way superior. So I ask what do you think? Is Donkey Kong Country also one of the platforming-masterpieces or is this title exclusive to Miyamoto's Mario games?

I definitely don't think its exclusive to Miyamot's Mario Games, Sonic's pretty awesome too as a pure platformer (on the genesis at least) and you can't forget about Megaman or Megaman X.  Super Metroid is also my favorite 2-D jumping oriented game of all time, but I don't know if you would call that platforming or action/adventure?

I liked the style of YI more and the many boss battles (2 a world) were a lot of fun.  Both series are full of secrets and collectibles, but I think that on a whole there is constantly more to collect/do in YI between the 20 red coins and the 4 flowers than in DKC where there are longer stretches of more straightforward platforming.  Not that straightforward platforming is bad.  YI also had a lot of silly power-ups such as melons, vehicle transformations, and super baby mario whereas DKC has animals, so I think it comes down to your personal preference power-up wise.  Challenge-wise YI had unlockable extra-hard stages and DKC2 and DKC 3 did as well? (I don't quite remember but I think that's right.) 

Around the Network

Yoshis Island is the bomb, I beat it on SNES a few months back. I remember DKC being pretty short overall, but a good game none the less. Nintendo pushed DKC way harder on the AMerican public. I remember getting a free VHS from Nintendo Power when I was a kid, and I was sold on the graphics. That game was good but I forgot that gameplay > graphics (I forgot I played rise of the robots). I think I prefer YI cause it has some really chalenging points if you want to get %100 on all the boards.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

DKC's easier than YI, because while I only got 100% in YI, I got 101% in DKC!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

donkey kong country made me cry when i played it for the first time. it was beautiful, and my fave game for the snes.

I think the DKC games have aged considerably less well than Yoshi's Island. I can understand where the people are coming from who claim that Yoshi's Island is the greatest ever 2D platformer. It's a fantastic game, Poochy be damned!

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Yoshi's Island was a good game with some interesting ideas. Personally, it was too colorful and kiddie and Super Mario World was better.

DKC, DKC2, and DKC3 were all better than Yoshi's Island in sound, graphics, and humor. They also made for better 2 player games.

The actual characters were best in DKC2 but the graphic reached their peak in DKC3.

I played DKC on GBA and DKC2 on SNES within the last 6 months. I have not played Yoshi's Island since the mid-90s and never intend to play it again.

So, if Miyamoto attributed the DKC series sales besting Yoshi's Island to just graphics alone, he was wrong. Graphics, sound, multiplayer, humor, and non-kiddieness were all better on the DKC games.

I never played a Rare game on N64 (I never owned the system) but 4 of my top 10 (DKC, DKC2, DKC3, KI) SNES games were made by Rare (which is more than I can say of Nintendo developed games). Rare used to be one of the highest quality developers in the world.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com