By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony copies, we innovate." - Nintendo

Chairman-Mao said:
Wow you can tell Nintendo is feeling really threatened and they've resorted to childish remarks like this.

I can't wait till next gen when the PS4 spanks the Wii 2. I still stand by my opinion that if PS3 had launched at $299 with a decent lineup (like it should have) it would be the best selling console right now.

Hey i see what you did there! you made a statement about something that is impossible to prove, therefore making it impossible to disprove.

Around the Network

At least Sony is trying to improve the technology. Everything copies something, and if it improves, than all the better. Nintendo may have started this motion revolution, but there's so much more they could have done to make the Wii-mote really good.

room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

First off, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did i say the sony's flight controller was pretty much the same as the nintendo 64 controller, only that it had dual analog sticks thus providing inspiration for sony's handheld controller.

Did you miss this part: First, it wasn't actually analog. Analog joysticks like the 5200's had too many moving parts and were prone to breaking. Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot. 

So nintendo obviously followed suit by making their subsequesnt controllers with analog sticks on them.

Looks just like a thumbstick to me.

No it wasnt, the vectrex is my favorite non nintendo console and I used to steal change from my dads pockets every day so i could rent and play that badboy every weekend :).

It was too long to be used as a thumbstick but this sucker with the vector graphics showed gamers the future of todays gaming back then oh god i miss that console it was a gem of gems.

Regardless, it was the the precursor to the modern design. This is obvious. It's a fully functioning analog stick.

you wouldn say that if you actually had played with one or wasnt interested in not givin props to Nintendo for their contributions.

You can spin in how much you ever want but history is allready written and it rightly credits Nintendo for its contributions wether you want it or not.

It's not just me saying it.

Many, if not most, 1970s video game consoles featured an analog joystick, see under, the VC 4000 (1978) for more info. In 1982 Atari released the first controller with a potentiometer-based analog stick[2] for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

I don't even understand why you nintendo fans are arguing this. It's not a big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

Thoose are joystics and we are talking about thumbsticks there is a world of difference and you should know it really are a gamer at all.

Noone even thought about making thumbsticks of the joystick technology untill Nintendo maid it mainstream and thats what we credit Nintendo for making it first and fully functional for the mainstream.

Without Nintendos foresight no dualshocks no 360 controller wich is the best traditional controller (- the d-pad) this gen.

Everyone went the traditional way back then and Nintendo broke the mold and brought us and all of you something that improved the way we play all the way to today. That is worth praise and its not only Nintendo fans that reckognise this its gamers all over from all consoles and computers except rabid ps3 fans.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

CatFangs806 said:
At least Sony is trying to improve the technology. Everything copies something, and if it improves, than all the better. Nintendo may have started this motion revolution, but there's so much more they could have done to make the Wii-mote really good.

This is the point everyone should really take to their hearts as long as there is improvements copying is good for us and for gaming and should be encouraged.

It´s when they copy for the sake of copy or just making money that we should make our selfs heard and bash the shit of whoever does it, not when it actually makes our favorite hobby better.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

I would like to remind everyone that this is an '06 article.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
I would like to remind everyone that this is an '06 article.

Ive tried that too and a few before me and after doesnt help.

Those that want a chance to bash wont even read anything just jump in and bash away and 6 months from now they will be refering to this thread as evidence that Nintedo is smacktalking like the other two.

vaio said:
room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

First off, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did i say the sony's flight controller was pretty much the same as the nintendo 64 controller, only that it had dual analog sticks thus providing inspiration for sony's handheld controller.

Did you miss this part: First, it wasn't actually analog. Analog joysticks like the 5200's had too many moving parts and were prone to breaking. Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot. 

So nintendo obviously followed suit by making their subsequesnt controllers with analog sticks on them.

No it wasnt, the vectrex is my favorite non nintendo console and I used to steal change from my dads pockets every day so i could rent and play that badboy every weekend :).

It was too long to be used as a thumbstick but this sucker with the vector graphics showed gamers the future of todays gaming back then oh god i miss that console it was a gem of gems.

Regardless, it was the the precursor to the modern design. This is obvious. It's a fully functioning analog stick.

you wouldn say that if you actually had played with one or wasnt interested in not givin props to Nintendo for their contributions.

You can spin in how much you ever want but history is allready written and it rightly credits Nintendo for its contributions wether you want it or not.

Many, if not most, 1970s video game consoles featured an analog joystick, see under, the VC 4000 (1978) for more info. In 1982 Atari released the first controller with a potentiometer-based analog stick[2] for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

I don't even understand why you nintendo fans are arguing this. It's not a big deal.

Thoose are joystics and we are talking about thumbsticks there is a world of difference and you should know it really are a gamer at all.

Noone even thought about making thumbsticks of the joystick technology untill Nintendo maid it mainstream and thats what we credit Nintendo for making it first and fully functional for the mainstream.

Without Nintendos foresight no dualshocks no 360 controller wich is the best traditional controller (- the d-pad) this gen.

Everyone went the traditional way back then and Nintendo broke the mold and brought us and all of you something that improved the way we play all the way to today. That is worth praise and its not only Nintendo fans that reckognise this its gamers all over from all consoles and computers except rabid ps3 fans.

states right in the video that it can be used as a thumbstick, and the top is indented so it's designed to be used as a thumbstick if you prefer

room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

states right in the video that it can be used as a thumbstick, and the top is indented so it's designed to be used as a thumbstick if you prefer

Now you are really grasping at straws and you havent even played one if you had you would have known it was almost impossible to use it as a thubstick and it was clearly imitating that times most popular gaming form wich was arcades wich had joysticks.

I dont know why you are trying so hard to take away props from Nintendo but obciously you dont want to acknowledge their contributions so all I have to say to you have fun playing on a controller that would never have existed without Nintendo and give props to who ever you want while the rest of the world that isnt rabid ps fans will give credit where it belongs.

vaio said:
room414 said:

Now you are really grasping at straws and you havent even played one if you had you would have known it was almost impossible to use it as a thubstick and it was clearly imitating that times most popular gaming form wich was arcades wich had joysticks.

I dont know why you are trying so hard to take away props from Nintendo but obciously you dont want to acknowledge their contributions so all I have to say to you have fun playing on a controller that would never have existed without Nintendo and give props to who ever you want while the rest of the world that isnt rabid ps fans will give credit where it belongs.

How am i grasping at straws when it says right in the video it can be used as a thumbstick? Sorry but I'm gonna believe the video over you and your likely fuzzy memory not to mention your allegiance to nintendo.

Why don't rabid nintendo fans want to give props where they're due? In this case to the makers of the vectrex for pioneering analog thumbsticks.

But carry on with your over inflated opinion of nintendo.

room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:

How am i grasping at straws when it says right in the video it can be used as a thumbstick? Sorry but I'm gonna believe the video over you and your likely fuzzy memory.

Why don't rabid nintendo fans want to give props where they're due? In this case to the makers of the vectrex for pioneering analog thumbsticks.

But carry on with your over inflated opinion of nintendo.

Because it couldn be used as a thumbstick if you had the intention of using all 4 buttons and it was never marketed for use as a thumbstick (not over here at least).

They went clearly and was marketed as a arcade machine at home and noone used thumbsticks in those days it was unheard of and the few that tried (there were addons on the Nes that did this) failed misserably cause they hurt your thumbs more then they helped you play it was never seen as a viable option untill Nintendo made it so thats why after you didnt see more attempts untill Nintendo made one.

You clearly show your alligeances with this post and refuse to understand reality.

So i am going to write this and if you still are of the same opinion i am sorry for you.

1. It was an arcade stick and was promoted as one

2. If you were going to try and use it as a thumb stick you would never be able to reach all four buttons with your other thumb in a way that you could actually play the games.

3. The dent on the top was there so when you had your fingers around the stick you could comfortably put your thumb there to rest it as opposed to your having it pointing right out.

I´ve spent more time playing this amazing console then most modern day consoles so i defently know what i am talking about and it´s sad that it had so low sales that almost noone remembers the console for what it is instead of the internet trolls that whant to take away credit from Nintendo to fit their agenda.

This console was awesome and had many cool things back then used today, thumbsticks was not one of them and it should be respected for what it brought to gaming not to fit your Nintendo trolling so even if you dont want to give credit to Nintendo dont disrepect the vectrex it deservs better then to be used as pathetic ammo for your agenda.

With that I bid you farewell.