By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony copies, we innovate." - Nintendo

@rolstoppable

First off, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did i say the sony's flight controller was pretty much the same as the nintendo 64 controller, only that it had dual analog sticks thus providing inspiration for sony's handheld controller.

Did you miss this part: First, it wasn't actually analog. Analog joysticks like the 5200's had too many moving parts and were prone to breaking. Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot. 

So nintendo obviously followed suit by making their subsequesnt controllers with analog sticks on them.

Looks just like a thumbstick to me.

Around the Network
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

First off, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did i say the sony's flight controller was pretty much the same as the nintendo 64 controller, only that it had dual analog sticks thus providing inspiration for sony's handheld controller.

Did you miss this part: First, it wasn't actually analog. Analog joysticks like the 5200's had too many moving parts and were prone to breaking. Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot. 

So nintendo obviously followed suit by making their subsequesnt controllers with analog sticks on them.

No it wasnt, the vectrex is my favorite non nintendo console and I used to steal change from my dads pockets every day so i could rent and play that badboy every weekend :).

It was too long to be used as a thumbstick but this sucker with the vector graphics showed gamers the future of todays gaming back then oh god i miss that console it was a gem of gems.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

^^
the vectrex is your favourite console?!
that console... is crap. only good thing about it was that it contained a game where the character talked.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Chairman-Mao said:
Wow you can tell Nintendo is feeling really threatened and they've resorted to childish remarks like this.

I can't wait till next gen when the PS4 spanks the Wii 2. I still stand by my opinion that if PS3 had launched at $299 with a decent lineup (like it should have) it would be the best selling console right now.

So your saying Nintendo can see the future? Since this is from 2006...

Former something....

Severance said:
^^
that console... is crap. only good thing about it was that it contained a game where the character talked.

I said non nintendo console and it was far from shit, maybe with todays standards but that isnt a fair comparison now is it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
vaio said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

No it wasnt, the vectrex is my favorite non nintendo console and I used to steal change from my dads pockets every day so i could rent and play that badboy every weekend :).

It was too long to be used as a thumbstick but this sucker with the vector graphics showed gamers the future of todays gaming back then oh god i miss that console it was a gem of gems.

Regardless, it was the the precursor to the modern design. This is obvious. It's a fully functioning analog stick.

room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

Regardless, it was the the precursor to the modern design. This is obvious. It's a fully functioning analog stick.

you wouldn say that if you actually had played with one or wasnt interested in not givin props to Nintendo for their contributions.

You can spin in how much you ever want but history is allready written and it rightly credits Nintendo for its contributions wether you want it or not.

vaio said:
Severance said:
^^

I said non nintendo console and it was far from shit, maybe with todays standards but that isnt a fair comparison now is it.

Well there was the second father of consoles!  Atari and the graphic powerhouse (back then )  Intellivision!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

vaio said:
room414 said:
vaio said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

you wouldn say that if you actually had played with one or wasnt interested in not givin props to Nintendo for their contributions.

You can spin in how much you ever want but history is allready written and it rightly credits Nintendo for its contributions wether you want it or not.

It's not just me saying it.

Many, if not most, 1970s video game consoles featured an analog joystick, see under, the VC 4000 (1978) for more info. In 1982 Atari released the first controller with a potentiometer-based analog stick[2] for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

I don't even understand why you nintendo fans are arguing this. It's not a big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

Severance said:
vaio said:
Severance said:
^^

Well there was the second father of consoles!  Atari and the graphic powerhouse (back then )  Intellivision!

Yeah i know i played thoose too but this one was magical at the time, with the vector graphics you could with a little imagination (wich i had lots of as a kid) fill in the blanks and see how graphics would look like in the future beyond the sprites that was common back then.

It actually came with three single colored seethrough plastic screens you put on the screen so you could have color in your games it was really revolutionary.