By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Sunshine vs. Super Mario Galaxy: which game is better?

Faxanadu said:
I havent played Sunshine, but I like Galaxy better than 64. Its just fun with the physics and the bossfights (even though a bit easy)

goodand considering sm64 was an awesome game

Around the Network

Apparently I am in the minority of people who have completed sunshine with 120 stars? In any case I feel I have a damn good grasp on what Galaxy is about with about 95 stars right now. And I am quite sure that if you haven't made it to the trial galaxies yet Grandmaster then you don't have enough info to talk. Those are my favorite levels thus far.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I only got 108 stars in Sunshine.

Also, I added your stupid Kim Possible games Rol. Enjoy.

nintendo_fanboy said:
RolStoppable said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
Rol, you don't seem to like N64 games so much I think... You already said you think MK64 is the worst of the series and that you don't like OoT and Smash Brothers too much... somethings fishy here

Then it should come as no surprise that the N64 is my least favorite Nintendo home console. Maybe I should start to talk more about the N64 games I really liked...

That seems weird because a lot of people seem to agree that the N64 has seen some of the best games ever... For a Nintendo loyalist, you seem to have a strange gaming taste... but then again, you're also coming from a strange country, so who knows

yeah n64 did have alot of great games and i think the worst nintendo cnsole is either gc or n64,even though they were great they didnt match the awesome games that nes and snes had

Sqrl said:
Apparently I am in the minority of people who have completed sunshine with 120 stars? In any case I feel I have a damn good grasp on what Galaxy is about with about 95 stars right now. And I am quite sure that if you haven't made it to the trial galaxies yet Grandmaster then you don't have enough info to talk. Those are my favorite levels thus far.

i also got 120 shinesprites in sunshine,but with a book guide

Around the Network

I am one of the few that loved Sunshine, but galaxy's better. :P

grandmaster192 said:
I would like to hear some opinions. What game do you guys think is better? Please, give me a real opinion. Don't just pick Galaxy because of review scores. Based on what you have played so far, what game is better out of the two? Super Mario Sunshine―the greatest 3d platformer of all-time―is the better game. First of, in my opinion, the level designs in sunshine where better than the ones in Galaxly. Furthermore, the game was more challenging, offering better boss fights and clever traps. The platforming in Sunshine was also more fun. Plus, the overall gameplay was alot deeper, as the controls where more complex and had more depth.

Ugh...no comparsion.

Galaxy is the much, much better game. It's just....ugh. 

Everything. Everything is better.

Sunshine is like "collect coins & spray goo to win the game olol" and Galaxy is an wonderfully diverse platformer with 40 different & unique worlds, where you're always doing something different.

Boss fights? What did Sunshine have? Petey Pirhana? Twice? That squid where you pull the legs off? Galaxy has waaay better bosses then 64 & Sunshine combined.

SMG has a nice difficulty level that ramps up quite nicely. And it gives you checkpoints for areas where you might die. (LOVE THAT FEATURE....I can't believe they didn't put it in 64 or Sunshine)

Sunshine's difficulty level can get just plain frustrating at times. It's not even fun. There's one level where you have to climb this massive tower to kill this mole that is throwing bombs, and the water is all toxic and purple. Anyway, when you get to the top, one easy mistep sends you ALL THE WAY back at the bottom of the lake. You have to swim underwater (to avoid the evil toxic sludge) and then climb alllll the way back up the massive tower.

Frustrating.

And there's another level where there's a toxic lake, and you need to fall onto this leaf and then push it around the water with FLuDD, and make you don't fall in the lake. If you DO fall in the lake...oops! Too late. You cannot jump out. All you can do is slowly watch Mario act like an idiot and lose his 8 heart points.

But yeah, Galaxy is so much better. So much better. Galaxy is like a 9.9 game and Sunshine is like an 8.5 game...ew.

Yep, it's no comparsion.

BTW, I only have 20 stars in Sunshine, but that's because I couldn't bare playing it anymore and wasn't interested. I got it this August.  

MontanaHatchet said:
Sunshine is the better one, easily.

How can you not love the proud and noble Delfinos?!

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I think Sunshine has been badly underrated, but in spite of that there's really no contest here: Galaxy wins hands down. Why?

- more levels
- less collecting
- less repetition
- mind-bending gravity gameplay

The Gravity is a matter of opinion, I can see where some people will find the upside-down stuff in Galaxy really annoying. Personally, I think it's great. Really fun and challenging.

I'm really passionate about the rest though. I wasted about 20 hours searching for blue coins in Sunshine and finally gave up and used a guide. I don't actually mind collecting, but Sunshine was excessive, to say the least.

To me Super Mario Sunshine felt like it was about 3/4 done, they needed 2-3 more levels, but instead they filled it up with thousands of coins and a bunch of Shadow Mario fights.

Then there's Super Mario 64...it's a great game, very revolutionary and still holds up fairly well, but like Super Mario Bros. before it, there's just no way they're as good as Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm 58 Stars into SMG and I'm having a blast one of the best games i've ever played, i haven't played sunshine because i didn't own a gamecube but i want to play Sunshine it seems like a fun game

While I haven't played Galaxy so I can't compare the two, the immense hatred and disinterest in Sunshine baffles me. I thought it was a great game.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/