By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Sunshine vs. Super Mario Galaxy: which game is better?

I love Galaxy more than Sunshine. But 64 is still the best 3D Mario for me!!!

64 has great worlds... I don't like ball-shape planets. I like big worlds, I like worlds that I won't suffer "drop and die". This is why I like stage 1, 6, 9, 13 of mario 64!!! I like 64's game system which can let me pick any stars at any time in one stage.

For Galaxy, all the stages include ball-shape planet! Hate them all...... it lacks freedom because the stars of a galaxy has to be picked one by one. I don;t have the choice!

However, Galaxy has more bosses to beat which need more variable skills... The stages can be more innovative due to the different gravity...

Anyway, I still like 64 the most!!

Around the Network

Rol, you don't seem to like N64 games so much I think... You already said you think MK64 is the worst of the series and that you don't like OoT and Smash Brothers too much... somethings fishy here

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

RolStoppable said:
grandmaster192 said:
I would like to hear some opinions. What game do you guys think is better? Please, give me a real opinion. Don't just pick Galaxy because of review scores. Based on what you have played so far, what game is better out of the two? Super Mario Sunshine―the greatest 3d platformer of all-time―is the better game. First of, in my opinion, the level designs in sunshine where better than the ones in Galaxly. Furthermore, the game was more challenging, offering better boss fights and clever traps. The platforming in Sunshine was also more fun. Plus, the overall gameplay was alot deeper, as the controls where more complex and had more depth.

I've beat both games with all stars/shines and I've beat Super Mario 64 with all stars on the N64 and DS. Each game several times with all stars, besides Galaxy, that one only two times so far. Don't blame me, it's only out since Friday. I am also one of the few people who liked Sunshine better than SM64.

Now for the actual comparison of Sunshine and Galaxy:

Galaxy has the better and more challenging level design, plus Galaxy has vastly more different levels. According to a later post of yours in this thread, you haven't even beat half of Galaxy, so why do you think you can judge this game already?

There are tons more of boss fights in Galaxy than in Sunshine and they are also individually better. The traps and obstacles you encounter especially in the later levels of the game bests everything Sunshine had to offer.

The platforming in Galaxy is way more fun because there is so much of it. Sunshine's levels were mostly flat and the best parts of the game (levels you play without FLUDD) were few compared to what Galaxy offers.

The overall gameplay of Sunshine wasn't that much more complex. In both games you use mainly 2 buttons, in Sunshine A and R, in Galaxy A and Z. You are able to use FLUDD in various ways, but that's offset by Galaxy's various alternate forms of Mario. A game doesn't have more depth just because you have to use more buttons.

I'm going to go with this response, except I'd like to add that Galaxy has an absolutely masterful orchestrated soundtrack, incredible level design and diversity in the level design (something Sunshine was seriously lacking), and an auto-camera that's 1000X better than Sunshine's, which repeatedly killed me.  

Honestly grandmaster it's kind of sad that you have judged Galaxy long before you completed the game, and that you seemed determined to dislike Galaxy despite having no concrete reason for your distaste for it.  You are calling Sunshine more difficult but Galaxy has much more challenging levels than Sunshine.  Especially later in the game.  I don't really understand why you dislike Galaxy so much, and you don't seem to understand why you dislike it either.  

smalvct said:
I love Galaxy more than Sunshine. But 64 is still the best 3D Mario for me!!!

64 has great worlds... I don't like ball-shape planets. I like big worlds, I like worlds that I won't suffer "drop and die". This is why I like stage 1, 6, 9, 13 of mario 64!!! I like 64's game system which can let me pick any stars at any time in one stage.

For Galaxy, all the stages include ball-shape planet! Hate them all...... it lacks freedom because the stars of a galaxy has to be picked one by one. I don;t have the choice!

However, Galaxy has more bosses to beat which need more variable skills... The stages can be more innovative due to the different gravity...

Anyway, I still like 64 the most!!

One point to add about Sunshine is that I hate the FLUDD, and those "black background" puzzle worlds... They are tooooooooo difficult and repetitive!! After playing them with FLUDD, then I had to play them again without FLUDD.... even in a limiting time period!!?? It's crazy!! 

naznatips said:
RolStoppable said:
grandmaster192 said:
I would like to hear some opinions. What game do you guys think is better? Please, give me a real opinion. Don't just pick Galaxy because of review scores. Based on what you have played so far, what game is better out of the two? Super Mario Sunshine―the greatest 3d platformer of all-time―is the better game. First of, in my opinion, the level designs in sunshine where better than the ones in Galaxly. Furthermore, the game was more challenging, offering better boss fights and clever traps. The platforming in Sunshine was also more fun. Plus, the overall gameplay was alot deeper, as the controls where more complex and had more depth.

I've beat both games with all stars/shines and I've beat Super Mario 64 with all stars on the N64 and DS. Each game several times with all stars, besides Galaxy, that one only two times so far. Don't blame me, it's only out since Friday. I am also one of the few people who liked Sunshine better than SM64.

Now for the actual comparison of Sunshine and Galaxy:

Galaxy has the better and more challenging level design, plus Galaxy has vastly more different levels. According to a later post of yours in this thread, you haven't even beat half of Galaxy, so why do you think you can judge this game already?

There are tons more of boss fights in Galaxy than in Sunshine and they are also individually better. The traps and obstacles you encounter especially in the later levels of the game bests everything Sunshine had to offer.

The platforming in Galaxy is way more fun because there is so much of it. Sunshine's levels were mostly flat and the best parts of the game (levels you play without FLUDD) were few compared to what Galaxy offers.

The overall gameplay of Sunshine wasn't that much more complex. In both games you use mainly 2 buttons, in Sunshine A and R, in Galaxy A and Z. You are able to use FLUDD in various ways, but that's offset by Galaxy's various alternate forms of Mario. A game doesn't have more depth just because you have to use more buttons.

I'm going to go with this response, except I'd like to add that Galaxy has an absolutely masterful orchestrated soundtrack, incredible level design and diversity in the level design (something Sunshine was seriously lacking), and an auto-camera that's 1000X better than Sunshine's, which repeatedly killed me.  

Honestly grandmaster it's kind of sad that you have judged Galaxy long before you completed the game, and that you seemed determined to dislike Galaxy despite having no concrete reason for your distaste for it.  You are calling Sunshine more difficult but Galaxy has much more challenging levels than Sunshine.  Especially later in the game.  I don't really understand why you dislike Galaxy so much, and you don't seem to understand why you dislike it either.  

I think he subconsicously dislikes Galaxy as a reason to further dislike the Wii. He can not handle that it actually has a great game so in his subconsious he is convinced the game isn't that great.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

I havent finished SMG yet but so far (28 start) SMG much much better than sunshine.

i havent played smg yet,but from the videos anfd impressions i think smg will be the better game

Jerk007 said:
grandmaster192 said:

Your post is motly an opinion and pretty much flawed, but I just wanted to say something about the bolded part... You seem to mix complexity with depth. Those two concepts are completely different... I haven't played SMG yet, but I did complete Sunshine and never went back to it to get all the stars. Irritating controls and levels will do that.

i wn super mario sunshine twice,i liked it one of my fav gc games,but it was irritating,and frustrating

RolStoppable said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
Rol, you don't seem to like N64 games so much I think... You already said you think MK64 is the worst of the series and that you don't like OoT and Smash Brothers too much... somethings fishy here

Then it should come as no surprise that the N64 is my least favorite Nintendo home console. Maybe I should start to talk more about the N64 games I really liked...

That seems weird because a lot of people seem to agree that the N64 has seen some of the best games ever... For a Nintendo loyalist, you seem to have a strange gaming taste... but then again, you're also coming from a strange country, so who knows

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

ArtofAngels said:
I haven't played both, but I will pick up SMG tomorrow (If promised store can get them in!) SMG appeals to me more then that stupid water thing Mario flies around on to clean paint.

yep the gravity effect looks awesome