By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Sunshine vs. Super Mario Galaxy: which game is better?

I know what it mean, Dtewi. I'm not angry with Galaxy, although I was expecting something different with the game.

Around the Network
grandmaster192 said:
I would like to hear some opinions. What game do you guys think is better? Please, give me a real opinion. Don't just pick Galaxy because of review scores. Based on what you have played so far, what game is better out of the two? Super Mario Sunshine―the greatest 3d platformer of all-time―is the better game. First of, in my opinion, the level designs in sunshine where better than the ones in Galaxly. Furthermore, the game was more challenging, offering better boss fights and clever traps. The platforming in Sunshine was also more fun. Plus, the overall gameplay was alot deeper, as the controls where more complex and had more depth.

Your post is motly an opinion and pretty much flawed, but I just wanted to say something about the bolded part... You seem to mix complexity with depth. Those two concepts are completely different... I haven't played SMG yet, but I did complete Sunshine and never went back to it to get all the stars. Irritating controls and levels will do that.

RolStoppable said:
grandmaster192 said:
I would like to hear some opinions. What game do you guys think is better? Please, give me a real opinion. Don't just pick Galaxy because of review scores. Based on what you have played so far, what game is better out of the two? Super Mario Sunshine―the greatest 3d platformer of all-time―is the better game. First of, in my opinion, the level designs in sunshine where better than the ones in Galaxly. Furthermore, the game was more challenging, offering better boss fights and clever traps. The platforming in Sunshine was also more fun. Plus, the overall gameplay was alot deeper, as the controls where more complex and had more depth.

I've beat both games with all stars/shines and I've beat Super Mario 64 with all stars on the N64 and DS. Each game several times with all stars, besides Galaxy, that one only two times so far. Don't blame me, it's only out since Friday. I am also one of the few people who liked Sunshine better than SM64.

Now for the actual comparison of Sunshine and Galaxy:

Galaxy has the better and more challenging level design, plus Galaxy has vastly more different levels. According to a later post of yours in this thread, you haven't even beat half of Galaxy, so why do you think you can judge this game already?

There are tons more of boss fights in Galaxy than in Sunshine and they are also individually better. The traps and obstacles you encounter especially in the later levels of the game bests everything Sunshine had to offer.

The platforming in Galaxy is way more fun because there is so much of it. Sunshine's levels were mostly flat and the best parts of the game (levels you play without FLUDD) were few compared to what Galaxy offers.

The overall gameplay of Sunshine wasn't that much more complex. In both games you use mainly 2 buttons, in Sunshine A and R, in Galaxy A and Z. You are able to use FLUDD in various ways, but that's offset by Galaxy's various alternate forms of Mario. A game doesn't have more depth just because you have to use more buttons.

Yes, this. The resident super-platformer world beater has said it thus it is so. And Rol didn't even mention the music (not that the OP did either). 

etuoyo said:
tk1989 said:
Ive nt played through SMG, but i wasnt a big fan of SMS. I found SMS too easy, and quite bland. It was different, ill give it that, no other mario game was really like it, but i found it wasnt their best work. Im not saying it was a bad game, it wasnt, it was good, but i didnt think it was great.

Maybe the difficulty thing is just due to the fact that im now a more experienced gamer. When i first played through SM64 i was only 9 or 10, and due to that it was very difficult, i never got past 100 stars (if i remember correctly); then when i went to play SMS i was expecting it to be similar and was very dissapointed as i finished it completely in a short period of time. Due to this, my view is probably biased, but leads me on to another question... How difficult is SMG?

Sunshine was actually made more difficult as a result of the retro platforming stages which were the most challenging stages I have come accross in any video game. Galaxy is in general quite easy (I have almost 60 stars in a much much shorter time than it took me to get an equal number in SM64 and Sunshine. I think Nintendo deliberately made the came slightly easy so as not to put off casuals. Same thing with New Super Mario Bros which seems much much easier than Super Mario World (the previous 2D Mario game). However, easy or not Galaxy is a really amazing game and infinitely better than Sunshine.

Yeah, i found New Super Mario Bros. much easier than Super Mario World as well, but i still enjoyed it. Generally in recent years i believe that Video Games have just become a lot easier than they used to be, if you look at the games of the 2D age they were much much harder than what we have today. While most games i play today arent much of a challenge (i havent come across a game in ages that has actually challenged me), if i go back and play older games such as Super Mario World and Zelda: LTTP then i actually feel challenged. Despite this though, im sure that ill enjoy SMG like all other mario games ive played :P

I think Galaxy is the better of the two. Sunshine just never really did it for me. So far I think Sunshine is the more challenging of the two, but obviously the graphics, music and storyline are much better for SMG.

Around the Network

I can't stand sunshine...i hate using the little sprayer thing. SMG all the way!

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Sunshine is the better one, easily.

How can you not love the proud and noble Delfinos?!

Delusional said:
I can't stand sunshine...i hate using the little sprayer thing. SMG all the way!

I totally agree, that's what makes the game annoying - the sprayer!  The graphics are quite good and I want to love it because it's Mario, but I just can't.  That being said, I never did complete the game and may get it again after I beat SMG a few times.

RolStoppable said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Add the missing Kim Possible games to the database. If you have the time for bad joke posts like this one, you have the time for the game database too.

Add them yourself. I don't have the time for adding Game Boy Advance games that sold 7 copies each.

RolStoppable said:
MontanaHatchet said:
RolStoppable said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Add the missing Kim Possible games to the database. If you have the time for bad joke posts like this one, you have the time for the game database too.

Add them yourself. I don't have the time for adding Game Boy Advance games that sold 7 copies each.

There's a reason why I voted for you to become a mod. Now go and fulfill your duties.

Gyaghhh!

Knowing the Game Boy Advance userbase, they probably sold 2 million each.

Fine...