By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Sunshine vs. Super Mario Galaxy: which game is better?

SeriousWB said:
fkusumot said:
grandmaster192 said:
The level design in Mario Galaxy is maybe the best in any game in years. Every level actually does something new and crazy. In Sunshine they were all derivative Mario 64 levels with added water gun use.

How far in Galaxy are you? Levels keep getting better and better. Try the Dark Matter Plant Bowser level or the Toy Galaxy you won't even believe the stuff they do.
Sunshine's levels had more depth. Like another member said, Galaxy is a bit linear. Also, the levels in Sunshine more alot more challenging, and that's very big for me. Plus, boss fights in Sunshine were alot better than Galaxy's. Right now I'm about 11 hours into the game. I have 47 stars, and I'm at The Garden. I just got done colleting those purple coins to get that red star. Ouside of graphics, Sunshine has this game beat.

It's disingenuous and intellectual fraud to properly compare the games when you haven't completed one of them.

Look at all the posts saying "I have 8 shines in Sunshine and..."

Well, you do have a point there. I like your style dude.

Around the Network

I really liked sunshine, but I'd still say that Galaxy is better. The best 3D Mario is still 64 imo, but I'm only at 25 stars yet, so it is really too early to tell.

What I can tell, however, is that Galaxy is much more a platformer than Sunshine was. In Sunshine, there were way more puzzles and secrets to find, making it more an Action-Adventure. In Galaxy, most of the time you just have to reach a point and sometimes beat a boss there, and that's exactly what I want since it is a platformer!

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I think the games are, first and foremost, very DIFFERENT.
In being more linear, Galaxy somewhat goes back to the 2D roots. I love that.
But the exploration / adventuring style of Sunshine was just as great.

You can't have both in one game, and why not simply be happy about the variety?

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

I really liked sunshine, but I'd still say that Galaxy is better. The best 3D Mario is still 64 imo, but I'm only at 25 stars yet, so it is really too early to tell.

What I can tell, however, is that Galaxy is much more a platformer than Sunshine was. In Sunshine, there were way more puzzles and secrets to find, making it more an Action-Adventure. In Galaxy, most of the time you just have to reach a point and sometimes beat a boss there, and that's exactly what I want since it is a platformer!
You hit the nail on the head, Nintendo Fanboy, and that's one of the reasons I like Sunshine better. Sunshine, along with 64, made Mario into more than just a primitive platformer. The gameplay was much deeper and complex. Galaxy is a step backwards, in my opinion.

I loved Sunshine. As a Mario game it was horrible. As a platformer it was great.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
grandmaster192 said:

You hit the nail on the head, Nintendo Fanboy, and that's one of the reasons I like Sunshine better. Sunshine, along with 64, made Mario into more than just a primitive platformer. The gameplay was much deeper and complex. Galaxy is a step backwards, in my opinion.

Where have I heard that before?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

SeriousWB said:
fkusumot said:
grandmaster192 said:
The level design in Mario Galaxy is maybe the best in any game in years. Every level actually does something new and crazy. In Sunshine they were all derivative Mario 64 levels with added water gun use.

How far in Galaxy are you? Levels keep getting better and better. Try the Dark Matter Plant Bowser level or the Toy Galaxy you won't even believe the stuff they do.
Sunshine's levels had more depth. Like another member said, Galaxy is a bit linear. Also, the levels in Sunshine more alot more challenging, and that's very big for me. Plus, boss fights in Sunshine were alot better than Galaxy's. Right now I'm about 11 hours into the game. I have 47 stars, and I'm at The Garden. I just got done colleting those purple coins to get that red star. Ouside of graphics, Sunshine has this game beat.

It's disingenuous and intellectual fraud to properly compare the games when you haven't completed one of them.

Wrong, if a game is SO awful (even if later it gets better) i couldn't stand it, i hated the controls i hated the FLUDD thing, so when i played for about an hour and realized it's not my thing i stopped wasting my time and returned to WW. How could i possibly finish a game when i wanted to destroy my GC while i was playing it? That's why i said IMO, because maybe others who played more of SMS liked it. I just stated my experience (even though it was brief) with SMS.

gamingdevil said:
SeriousWB said:
fkusumot said:
grandmaster192 said:

Wrong, if a game is SO awful (even if later it gets better) i couldn't stand it, i hated the controls i hated the FLUDD thing, so when i played for about an hour and realized it's not my thing i stopped wasting my time and returned to WW. How could i possibly finish a game when i wanted to destroy my GC while i was playing it? That's why i said IMO, because maybe others who played more of SMS liked it. I just stated my experience (even though it was brief) with SMS.

I agree. That's a darn good reason to stop playing a game. Point taken. I take it you haven't felt that way while playing SMG.

MORE BOSSES IN SUNSHINE ?! U GOTTA BE KIDDING ?!
plus sunshine is not challenging.. its frustrating.. how im i suppose to know where are the blue coins..? why i need to fight the same boss again and again and again !? the first level has 5 missions that are collect 8 red coins ???!

MARIO SUNSHINE IS PHAIL ! PHAAAAIL ! 3 best games in the world : galaxy, mario 64, smash melee

biggest disappointment: RE4 (story wise) , mario sunshine

fkusumot said:
gamingdevil said:
SeriousWB said:
fkusumot said:
grandmaster192 said:

I agree. That's a darn good reason to stop playing a game. Point taken. I take it you haven't felt that way while playing SMG.

Exactly, i'm loooooooving Galaxy.