By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Molyneux: PS Move “not as big a step as Natal”

It's all about implementation..

The games will say whether or not the step forward is good for anything or not. And we will determine it in the end, not bought journalists and manipulated readers. Natal should be renamed PR.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Twistedpixel said:

Peter = A guy who spends his day working with interfaces, game design, game testers, the general public, has released games selling over 15M copies world wide and many were called innovative and ahead of their time.

You = Some guy.

I'll take his opinion over yours.

This is what he said:

"I think that Move is more for the core audience than it is the casual audience because it's a precise device"

So, precision is for the core audience, meaning imprecision is for the casual audience, based on what he's saying. Extrapolating that, since the Wii is successful, he's saying that its' device is imprecise, and since he thinks Natal is better, that device is also imprecise.

I don't know about you, but if Natal is something that Microsoft is trying to make for the casual audience, but then he says that precision is for the core audience....that just doesn't seem logical. In a nutshell, since he thinks Natal will be more successful, but precision isn't for casuals, then Natal is an imprecise device. I wouldn't go around advertising my product as such. You can ignore that if you want, but then you're just a ignorant as he is

Also, how many times have developers said such and such game can only be done on the PS3 (or at least be WAY different on the 360)? And then 360 fans say that it's just a dev spitting gibberish? In this case, that's what Molyneux is doing. You're just mad that he's on the 360 side and is wrong. Or else, when Evan Wells says that Uncharted 2 is only possible on the PS3, and you guys say otherwise...you're just "some guy". I really do hate it when people flip flop about when to choose the developer's side, and the customer's side. MGS4 was exclusive to the PS3. Many 360 fans thought it was stupid that it wasn't multiplatform. Well...Konami is a big third party developer who's made made games that have sold millions. You = some guy

Core = precision, because precision would bury the general gaming population in a sense of their own inadequacy. Take table tennis vs Wii Sports Tennis. The latter is very casual, and the action of taking a swing is limited to how the Wiimote is swung whereas with table tennis you have to actually hit the ball. If you cannot hit the ball then you cannot have a fun game. Play any RPG where you have to block directly using motion and another where you control the shield directly and again the casual concept is the less accurate one. Furthermore, the more accurate you make the motion, the more an uncanny valley effect comes into play between the animation of the game and the response of the game to your move to physical actions. If you swing a sword and it gets bounced back but your arm is still going forward then thats a disconnect.

To sum it up, Natal = abstraction of player movement into the game, Move = precise and accurate 1:1 representation of player movement inside the game.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

mirgro said:

I was not going to jump in this thread because what he says has a point up until the end when he completely loses it.

As for Peter, he is a washed up developer and he hasn't made a good game since Dungeon Keeper and Populous. I don't think he has been relevant in any way since the '90s. Out of the big developers you should take his opinion with the least amount of weight.

Other than that, saying that things are confusing is like saying that having all the analog controllers for every console last gen was confusing. Very stupid thing to say.

Peter = washed up? Well I dunno. I haven't played one of his games since Black and White 1, but they've sold pretty well so I guess they have some merit.

The controllers last generation all plugged in and all worked in the same way. The motion controllers however do not and for instance with the PS3 you've got more than one controller to 'sync' up as most 'serious' experiences would require either the Upchuck/Dual Shock or the second wand which you'd have to admit would be a little confusing for people in the Wii Fit crowd. The PS3 has 3 seperate controllers, most people struggle to get to grips with just one.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

well going from no motion device to one like project natal is a bigger step, but in terms of technology no.  i would say about the same they get the same result different method but only ps move has buttons and is easier to implement (supposedly).

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

Porcupine_I said:
its funny, i just read the same interview on another Forum and it's titled:

"Molyneux On Move: “I Think It’s Quite Precise”

Nail on head.  As someone that is involving myself in internet marketing, I understand the SEO appeal of negative headlines, but it gets quite annoying thanks to the fanboy wars.

Peter was very respectful.  If anyone views this as him trashing Move, it speaks more about themselves than him.