By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GDC News Natal = Sh!t, Move not good and Wii 2 in 2012

Before you start blasting me a fan boy, which I am hear is some critism from the same article on Sony's new Move.

"We get to talking about Sony's motion controller, recently unveiled. I played with it at publisher's event and as something of a Wii veteran with a firm understanding of how pointer and gestural controls work and how games should feel when they are properly finessed. I'm not impressed, I say. PS3 Move features almost no latency -- just one frame -- but that paper truth didn't seem to translate to reality as I played with the controller at Sony's event. Most of the stuff played like first-generation Wii efforts from third-parties." That is clearly not a complement.

Now for the real juice of the article in my opinion WII 2 in 2012 and Natal is Shit.

"Natal, though -- the motion offering from Microsoft -- not so much. The same studio rep calls Natal a big, buggy mess. "It's sh*t," he adds, saying that it just doesn't work as promised. That it's slow and that the camera is imprecise, which he notes, is causing some major development woes.

He refers to a development conference Microsoft held not so long ago in which Peter Molyneux of Fable fame (presently, creative director at Microsoft Game Studios) took the stage and attempted to demo the publisher's much-publicized Milo Natal project. Molyneux apparently called someone from the audience to the stage and asked them to interact with the virtual boy, but it didn't go to plan. Natal's camera failed to see the person accurately because he was wearing a black trench coat. After some fiddling, he was asked to remove his trench coat and -- whoops -- wore a black shirt underneath. When it still didn't work, he was invited to take his seat again.

Next, Molyneux said that Milo could interact with illustrations drawn to paper and scanned by the camera. He asked the audience for suggestions. "You could see him cocking his head and listening for the right key words, and then finally he heard something the game would recognize," my development source explains. It was a cat. So he invited someone from the audience to ascend the steps to the stage and illustrate the feline on paper. When Natal attempted to scan the horribly scribbled drawing, it instead picked up the Abercrombie & Fitch logo on the person's sweater."

I ask if he knows of any other studios struggling with Natal.

"How about Rare and Lionhead? They're just going to try to make launch and then they're going to patch everything later," he says, laughing

GDC I struck a bit of a niblet when a developer said Nintendo told him it would be ready to roll with Wii 2 in 2012.

Some very interesting news from this years GDC if you want the full article

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1076978p1.html

T

Around the Network

I read the exact opposite on Cnet.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

I read his entire blog entry and it was interesting. I'm not shocked that Move is very similar to the Wii Remote, and has potential to be better (nor am I shocked that there are some issues with calibration). I'm pretty shocked that Natal is utter shit though, according to his source. However, perhaps it's just a sign that motion control has a very long way to go.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

wait , Natal was in GDC? how the hell didn't anyone talk about it?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
wait , Natal was in GDC? how the hell didn't anyone talk about it?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10467552-1.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Move hype took it over, natal was demoed in feb

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Around the Network

I can't see Natal possibly working well, even if MS executed everything perfectly. It just looks like it would be incredibly awkward to control.

I don't know about other gamers, but personally, I'd much rather game with some sort of tangible object to control the game with, rather than waving around and hoping a camera picks everything up correctly. Just seems like you have no true control.

Matt Casamassina/Ign I honestly was not expecting this from Ign. I mean they do have some horrible articles but even this is beyond that. But yay new Ninty console in 2012 if he is right. Even though Still plenty to do on the Wii.

Well let's hope Move is at least equal to the Wiimote.

And about Natal, they still have time to make it better I guess.

I doubt the next Nintendo console will be called Wii 2...

Joel12345 said:
I doubt the next Nintendo console will be called Wii 2...

as does everyone but with no info this is what it will be called until then. Besides we all know it would be called the Super Wii