By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - It's Official: Nolan Rebooting Superman

Boutros said:
Finally, it seems we shouldn't expect Superman and Batman to team up anytime soon. "Each serves to the internal logic of the story. They have nothing to do with each other."

That's so relieving. Nothing ruins Batman more than existing in the same universe as Superman, not even sidekicks, not just Robin, all the sidekicks.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Around the Network

Funny, Just 3 days ago I dreamt about how I would remake the Superman franchise.

Well good luck to them. If they can manage to make a movie where it seems credible that an alien with the powers of flight, super strength, laser eyes, ice breath, invincibility and super speed has trouble defeating a smart bald guy, then they'll have made one of the most important films of the decade.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

d21lewis said:
People who think that Superman is over-powered or that there's nothing you can do with him don't read Superman's comics.

Anyhoo, my dream Superman movie would have Doomsday's origin in it, too. The two would meet in the epic confrontation at the end. No death of Superman, though.

That or they are Marvel fanboys. :P... okay so yeah, don't read Superman comics.

Doomsday is ideal really.

Hmm, pie.

I mean, you could have somebody like Parasite steal his powers, someone like Conduit could find out his secret identity and terrorize his family, someone like Luthor could turn the world against him and his god-like powers, someone like Doomsday could beat the holy hell out of him, or someone like Zod could make Superman kneel before him (my current Xbox live motto is (kneel before Zod!). As long as there's NO Kryptonite, it could be a good story.

Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:

I really enjoyed The Dark Knight and thought that Batman Begins was fairly average; and (while many won’t agree with me) I thought Superman Returns was on par with Batman Begins. Personally, I don’t have high hopes that you could make a Superman movie that is on par with The Dark Knight primarily because The Dark Knight was one of those special movies where the villain was a far superior character than the hero; and while you (sort of) want the hero to succeed, you also love to watch the villain at play. I can't see something similar to this happening because most of Superman's villains reall super power is being super lame.

I've always thought that Lex Luthor was a far more compelling villian then even the joker... when done right.  For example look at Lex Luthor in the JLU cartoons.

A modern Lex Luthor using current day tactics to take out the man of steel yet staying legitamite I think would work REAL well if done right.

Luthor is too overdone. I'm pulling for Brainiac. Nolan went with Ra's in Batman Begins and I hope he uses another underutilized villain for Superman.

The thing with braniac is... he's cool in powers... boring in execution.  He wants to assimilate all knowledge of the planet, then destroy it... and he's a computer.  You'd need him working with someone at the very least.

Which is largely the problem with most superman villians.  They don't do the kind of plotting you need to get you through the movie BEFORE the big fight scene.

Darkseid maybe for example.

True. Most Superman villains are vastly different from the hero, which makes a lot of exposition necessary. Even doing Luthor correctly needs a lot of explanation (something they never did well in any Superman films).

I just REALLY hope they stay away from Doomsday. It made for an interesting death series in the book but the character is completely vacant. It wouldn't make for an interesting story unless they drastically changed the character.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
People who think that Superman is over-powered or that there's nothing you can do with him don't read Superman's comics.

Anyhoo, my dream Superman movie would have Doomsday's origin in it, too. The two would meet in the epic confrontation at the end. No death of Superman, though.

Remember that they had to re-boot the character in the 80s because he WAS too powerful.

rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:

Remember that they had to re-boot the character in the 80s because he WAS too powerful.

That's the key word.  Superman is still super but there are a lot of characters in comics (Thor, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Captain Marvel, Supreme) that are in his league and they still have compelling stories to tell.  I mean, Smallville is STILL on the air (though I don't watch it).  Two hours of solid story-telling about the Superhero that arguably started it all?  I don't think that's a stretch. 

d21lewis said:
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:

That's the key word.  Superman is still super but there are a lot of characters in comics (Thor, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Captain Marvel, Supreme) that are in his league and they still have compelling stories to tell.  I mean, Smallville is STILL on the air (though I don't watch it).  Two hours of solid story-telling about the Superhero that arguably started it all?  I don't think that's a stretch. 

I'm not against another Superman movie but out of all the characters you listed, they're some of the most boring characters in their respective universes.

I've always disliked Thor. Silver Surfer is awesome, though only in a supplementary role. When they tried to make the character more "human", they completely ruined what was great about him. Captain Marvel is a giant "meh". Supreme was only interesting for the brief time Moore took him over.

rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:

I'm not against another Superman movie but out of all the characters you listed, they're some of the most boring characters in their respective universes.

I've always disliked Thor. Silver Surfer is awesome, though only in a supplementary role. When they tried to make the character more "human", they completely ruined what was great about him. Captain Marvel is a giant "meh". Supreme was only interesting for the brief time Moore took him over.

I did my best.

rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:

There are few uber-powerful characters that make good film because of that lack of indentification the audience can have with the 'hero'. Thor is a god any movie about him will revolve around the myths and legends of the Norse gods, which isn't exactly relatable but it's of a great interest to many.

Sentry hasn't enough in depth history to create a movie but I wouldn't say boring, just...well he's crazy. Void is interesting.

Captain Marvel could work because of his alter-ego being a child. (Unless you mean Mar-Vell then well, like Supreme, just not famous enough).

All characters might be good in a film if written and directed well but unlike Superman they are not (other then Thor) a real money making franchise.

Hmm, pie.