By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy sells ~70,000 in first week IN THE UK !!

@DJMeisterJ

Ok so what I have gotten from reading your posts is that you are unaware of the fact that you are in the sales section of the site.  The way this works is we get sales data and we make sense of it.  If the numbers are bad, good, mediocre, etc...we still make sense of it. If you want to call them excuses and act like an ass and be pissy with people while saying "blah blah blah" a bunch then please go find another site to do this at.  If you have anything to contribute to this discussion then do so, in either case you need to stop acting like this here.

If you go back to the first page you will see several people saying that they are dissapointed in the numbers, and even some explaining that people expecting Halo 3 type numbers are completely insane for expecting that, which is true.  And now apparently a sell out is just an excuse. Maybe we should let businesses know that when they sell out of their product in the first 3 days its on the shelves it is just an excuse and they should have done better...I am pretty sure they still classify that as a success...poor ignorant bastards they don't even know they are doing awful!

Sarcasm aside, there are always going to be a few in the crowd who make an excuse but the majority of people are not and reacting like everyone is doing this is assanine and quite frankly trollish.  Especially posts like ckmlb's post above where he makes a generalizing and inflammatory comment and then makes a quick exit from the thread..actually that might be the definition of trolling.

The only excuse that has really been attempted thus far was the "its only out for 3/4 days" routine and it was shut down almost immediatly.  Everything else thus far that I have seen is a legitimate discussion on why the sales are where they are.

I will say this, at least you stuck around to defend your position, a lot more than most folks do.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

So SMG sold out even though it sold less than two other games and those didn't sell out? This either means Nintendo doesn't expect very big sales or for some strange reason SMG is in short supply which makes no sense.

Logic says Nintendo shipped what they expected to sell (or near it).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

If it`s sold out, that works for me!

ckmlb said:
So SMG sold out even though it sold less than two other games and those didn't sell out? This either means Nintendo doesn't expect very big sales or for some strange reason SMG is in short supply which makes no sense.

Logic says Nintendo shipped what they expected to sell (or near it).

Nintendo doesn't decide what to ship.  They ship what retailers order.  Retailers had a right to expect a small debut considering there hasn't been a single Wii game with a big first week in the UK (hence this 70K being the record).  It's absolutely reasonable that retailers only ordered 70K and just as reasonable that it's sold out because of that.

The most important question is "why in HELL is this game sold out?" It's a friggin' disc and little else. This isn't Guitar Hero or Rock Band we're talking about here. It's a disc-based game and it's Nintendo's biggest release of the year.

There is no excuse for this to be happening. I don't remember hearing about Halo 3 selling out anywhere and that game moved far more copies than SMG is moving this week.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
naznatips said:

Nintendo doesn't decide what to ship.  They ship what retailers order.  Retailers had a right to expect a small debut considering there hasn't been a single Wii game with a big first week in the UK (hence this 70K being the record).  It's absolutely reasonable that retailers only ordered 70K and just as reasonable that it's sold out because of that.

But Nintendo should have a large stock ready in every country if that's the case, meaning retailers should be out of stock for one or two days at most.

That doesn't seem to be the case from the reports I'm reading. 

rocketpig said:
The most important question is "why in HELL is this game sold out?" It's a friggin' disc and little else. This isn't Guitar Hero or Rock Band we're talking about here. It's a disc-based game and it's Nintendo's biggest release of the year.

There is no excuse for this to be happening. I don't remember hearing about Halo 3 selling out anywhere and that game moved far more copies than SMG is moving this week.

Again, Nintendo has no control over what retailers order. Why would retailers order more than 70K when the last game to sell even close to that first week was Twilight Princess (a launch game)? It's been a full year without first week sales that large. Obviously the logical decision by most corporate chains would be to order limited first week supplies for Wii games.

Edit:  Well if they are still having stock problems, then I don't know what's going on.  They really shouldn't be having trouble stocking large quantities later in the week.

@ckmlb : Nintendo warned that they had problems with software production, and that it would last a couple of weeks. There's high chance that Nintendo sacrificed a bit Mario Galaxy's pressing, so that they can press enough third party games.

kuraobi said:
@ckmlb : Nintendo warned that they had problems with software production, and that it would last a couple of weeks. There's high chance that Nintendo sacrificed a bit Mario Galaxy's pressing, so that they can press enough third party games.

In this day and age, there is no excuse for not being able to press enough f***ing DVDs to meet consumer demand. That's just retarded.

I think Nintendo has done a wonderful job with the Wii and DS but their seemingly never-ending supply problems for nearly everything is getting tiresome. Last year, it was the Wii, DS, and DS games. This year, it will probably be the Wii, DS, and Wii games. Maybe even DS games, too.

endurance said:
ckmlb said:
First excuses were made for Galaxy sales in Japan, now they're being made for Europe...

but it was only released for 2 days

AC was out for 3.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!