By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So that's why the critic dislike the start of FFXIII *no spoilers*

WereKitten said:

I usually like games/books/movies that throw me into a context and let me do the effort, as the run-of-the-mill  exposition tricks (I lost my memory / I come from another world so youl'll have to explain everything to me) have grown quite thin for my tastes.

The cast sounds awful, but it won't be the first time I close both eyes on that for some other redeeming quality... I am playing through SMT:DDS 1 and 2 after all.

Thanks for the further explanation, anyway :)

Preference of plot device then! I as I said previously, gameplay is very addictive after you get over the very long ass prologue. And good news, my friend just told me the story does get better!

Around the Network

I couldn't disagree more. IMO if you read the datalogs it all makes sense. There was a certain time where i was lost, but less than 10 minutes later a cutscene played and it all made sense.

The "story" is the biggest reason why i love this game, well not the story itself as i'm too early in, the world, the characters and the premise.

They probably expected a second play through for us to get the, "oh, now I understand what's going on".

.:Dark Prince:. said:
I couldn't disagree more. IMO if you read the datalogs it all makes sense. There was a certain time where i was lost, but less than 10 minutes later a cutscene played and it all made sense.

The "story" is the biggest reason why i love this game, well not the story itself as i'm too early in, the world, the characters and the premise.

My friend said the same thing (I even mention this on an earlier post) Read the datalog will help you enjoy the game a lot more and make everything easier to understand. To which I said 'grrrrr' and hanged up.

I will read the datalog, but the fact that I had to in the first place irritates me.

And btw, I don't hate all the caste, I dislike Snow / Hope and HATE HATE HATE VANILLE. I don't mind Lightning, but so far, the stand out HAS to be Sazh. I find much to my suprise that I like him a lot, he has the best lines, he can be funny but also serious as the plot demands and still act in a believable fashion, he has nice speech pattern that doesn't feel forced or scripted and that accent is just so daaaaaaaaamn in awwwshume.

Oh and Fang's quasi - Australian/British/American accent is damn smoking sexy.

Mines on my desk now... when i get home im gonna play...

its my 3rd JRPG

1) Blue dragon - bit simple but still amazing

2) lost odyssey - one of the best games ive played

next is FF13.... will i love it? i hope so....ive watched my best friend play the others.. i played 8 for a bit and got very bored... ive got a feeling im going to love 13 tho.

fingers crossed ah?

Around the Network

Lol...

indeed not reading the datalog might get you to misunderstand things...
Next time be wise to make a remark about not putting any effort into the game.

The story is exceptionally well explained, and very clear for the first few chapters. I really don't know how you can say stuff like that.

damn man, I'm sorry those are you first impressions!!! Hope the game grows on you!!! Maybe I just knew all the terms you are talking about because I was caught up in the pre-game hype.

Galaki said:
The beginning is the most important part of the game.
If the game failed to grab me in the first 10 minutes (minus intro), I stopped playing and put the game back in the box and onto the shelves.

That's the problem with Final Fantasy games.  They mostly do it the opposite.  Try to 'draw you in' with a long build up and entended cutscenes in the beginning that don't really tie into the story or the characters.  It isn't really until about 5-10 hours in that you understand what's going on.  And from the sounds of many peoples complaints, not only is that the same in FFXIII, but you have a very linear and controlling gameplay aspect to deal with as well, making both the story and gameplay dry for the first 5+ hours.

At least with previous Final Fantasy games, either the story or gameplay drew you in.  If one or the other isn't strong in FFXIII...there's a problem.  No matter how good the graphics are, people will get bored.  Heck, I remember thesame thing happened to me with Suikoden V.  I was a MASSIVE Suikoden fan, but the game had this 10-15 hour prologue with hardly any gameplay and one of the most boring and predictable stories you can imagine.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

weaveworld said:
Lol...

indeed not reading the datalog might get you to misunderstand things...
Next time be wise to make a remark about not putting any effort into the game.

The story is exceptionally well explained, and very clear for the first few chapters. I really don't know how you can say stuff like that.

Not reading a datalog is considered not putting any effort? I'm not sure about you but generally when I play game I tend to want to play the game first and not go over a database / encylopedia over definition and back story.

If the document actually pertains to the plot then sure I'll read it. But if its just a dry facts explaining a concept within the game then it shouldn't be something that is needed critically. It should rather be supplimenting reading not compulsory for the enjoyment of the game :(

Anways, rants over, its not a bad game, and the story is certainly not horrible, I just felt kinda let down a little I guess...

the plot unfolds as continue playing and in the end you understand everything9i think i have already understood how it will end) I am in chapter 8