By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is there soo much negativity in any 360 related thread?

Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:

Sony said PS3 will be twice as powerful as Xbox 360

"According to IBM’s white pages, the cell processor being used in the ps3 is considerably less powerful than what it has been hyped up to be.
Sony officially revealed the PS3 and for the first time at E3 2005, and claimed that their Cell processor would be capable of 200 GFLOPS.

When physically tested however, only 155.5 GFLOP’s were actually achieved (see Table 4) with a total efficiency rate of 75.9%.
Because of manufacturing yield issues, the PS3 will only use 7 SPE’s with the theoretical peak for the PS3’s Cell processor being reduced to 176 GFLOP’s, each running at 25.12 GFLOP’s.

http://ps3.qj.net/Inside-the-PS3-s-O...g/49/aid/21047
According to the (unbiased) site above, the PS3 will also constantly reserve 1 SPE** for running its operating system. Now that there is actually one less SPE reserved for gaming purposes, it is definite that the ps3’s cell will only be capable of 114.4 GFLOP’s for the purpose of game processing."

The Xbox 360 has 3 general-purpose 2-threaded CPU's, which generates a proven 115.2 GFLOP’s which is dramatically easier for developers to utilize. By now it should be pathetically obvious that sony is no where near as far ahead as they try to lead you to think (keep in mind they claimed that the ps2 was more powerful than the original xbox, but were proven wrong publicly, since the xbox was indeed twice as powerful).

Remember the Xbox 360 also has part of the processor reserved for OS functions. In addition to this, its probably easier to devote one whole thread/processing element to a problem than to share execution resources and potentially conflict, in addition to this the Cell CPU probably makes better use of each execution unit due to the cache/streaming architecture. So I suspect the achieveable performance for the PS3 is about spot on whilst the Xbox 360 is a little over-exagerated there.

PS3 does 114.4 Gflops while in game.

360 does 115.2 Gflops while in game.

360 Xenos is more powerful than the Cell.

I don't see them making the same considerations for OS etc on the Xbox 360 nor any idea of how they actually tested the consoles.

They tested the "Full" power of the Cell and Xenos, they are shown above. Xenos is slightly better than the Cell.

360 OS uses less RAM and the 360 RAM can be shared so again the 360 is superior.

no..it's not. for one they make many guess.

and IBM say's otherwise, you know the one's who made both processor's.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:

"According to IBM’s white pages, the cell processor being used in the ps3 is considerably less powerful than what it has been hyped up to be.
Sony officially revealed the PS3 and for the first time at E3 2005, and claimed that their Cell processor would be capable of 200 GFLOPS.

When physically tested however, only 155.5 GFLOP’s were actually achieved (see Table 4) with a total efficiency rate of 75.9%.
Because of manufacturing yield issues, the PS3 will only use 7 SPE’s with the theoretical peak for the PS3’s Cell processor being reduced to 176 GFLOP’s, each running at 25.12 GFLOP’s.

According to the (unbiased) site above, the PS3 will also constantly reserve 1 SPE** for running its operating system. Now that there is actually one less SPE reserved for gaming purposes, it is definite that the ps3’s cell will only be capable of 114.4 GFLOP’s for the purpose of game processing."

The Xbox 360 has 3 general-purpose 2-threaded CPU's, which generates a proven 115.2 GFLOP’s which is dramatically easier for developers to utilize. By now it should be pathetically obvious that sony is no where near as far ahead as they try to lead you to think (keep in mind they claimed that the ps2 was more powerful than the original xbox, but were proven wrong publicly, since the xbox was indeed twice as powerful).

Remember the Xbox 360 also has part of the processor reserved for OS functions. In addition to this, its probably easier to devote one whole thread/processing element to a problem than to share execution resources and potentially conflict, in addition to this the Cell CPU probably makes better use of each execution unit due to the cache/streaming architecture. So I suspect the achieveable performance for the PS3 is about spot on whilst the Xbox 360 is a little over-exagerated there.

I don't see them making the same considerations for OS etc on the Xbox 360 nor any idea of how they actually tested the consoles.

They tested the "Full" power of the Cell and Xenos, they are shown above. Xenos is slightly better than the Cell.

360 OS uses less RAM and the 360 RAM can be shared so again the 360 is superior.

What "Guesses" have they made?

And IBM said "theoretically" the Cell was better than Xenos when it was tested it wasnt.

psrock said:
I blame my self for the negativity in the MS forums, I'm so sorry for telling you guys how :

Bayoneta is better than the GOW series for months

Forza3 blows away GT5 for months

Every 360 games is the best looking game of alltime

I really brought a lot of negative threads to the website always comparing 360 exclusives VS ps3 exclusives, I am always talking how Sony DOESNT make profit and how Natal will destroy the arc.

I also messed up having threads on how : Home sucks, the sixasis sucks, Netflix sucks, trophies suck, and to think Kratos is a lame character, just in one week.

I am really going to try avoid going to every 360 threads about Killzone2, Uncharted 2, LBP being overrated and disappointing. I will make sure I stop getting banned for trolling and flaming the 360 and its fans.

The time have comes for me to stop being negative about the 360 and be positive like the 360 fans in this site.

Once again,

I am sorry

LOL @ the bolded!!! Im LMAO after all that claims then later on digitalfoundry comes out with an article stating GT5P still looks better than Forza..

"Despite these technical wins for Turn 10, GT5P emerges as the classier-looking game, the standard bearer in terms of graphical accomplishment - not just up against Forza, but compared to every console driving game"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-forza3-evolution-article?page=3

sigh....good laugh.

BTW you forgot to add Lost Planet 2 as the new graphics king b4 it got announced as multiplat.

Garnett said:
joeorc said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:

And IBM said "theoretically" the Cell was better than Xenos when it was tested it wasnt.

I call bull sH!T. why because their so call proof is a guess:

this is the first line:

According to IBM’s white pages, the cell processor being used in the ps3 is considerably less powerful than what it has been hyped up to be.

bull shit, it's it's the same d@mn processor that was in the high class server's.

9 cores

1 disabled IE: the 8th core spe was for redundance IE meshed era redundance. IE the d@mn security vault.

so it's not considerably less powerful, it is just as powerful.

2nd

rage 3d claim's

The xbox

360 has 3 general-purpose 2-threaded CPU's, which generates a proven 115.2 GFLOP’s which is dramatically easier for developers to utilize. By now it should be pathetically obvious that sony is no where near as far ahead as they try to lead you to think (keep in mind they claimed that the ps2 was more powerful than the original xbox, but were proven wrong publicly, since the xbox was indeed twice as powerful). The ps3 will, once you have taken into account thetotal amount of resources that will be used by their respective operating systems, end up with less CPU power available for graphical and physics processing than the 360.

where IBM states it's

the xbox360's processor does 77 GFLOP's

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2006/0130/076.html

3)

again rage 3d claim's

**SPE’s are floating point processors, they are also called DSP’s, and SPU’s. These floating point processors are NOT to be confused with cores, cores have far more prediction and calculation braches than floating point processors. As stated earlier, the 360 has 3 cores, each running at 3.2GHz, with 2 threads each. The cell also runs at 3.2GHz, but is the one and only core that the ps3 has.

where as the people who designed the d@mn processor who have PHD's, many year's experience in chip design

call it what they are

Core's

you cannot be a multiple-core design with only one core

Basic Processing Element(s)

Cell is composed of nine processing elements: a standard PowerPC core, and eight SIMD cores. In addition, there is a dual XDR memory controller, and two I/O controllers. The processing cores, as of rev3, run at 3.2GHz.

Program Model

Two seperate programs are written. First, the explicitly software controlled memory SPE program is written. It may be necessary to use intrinsics in the inner loops to fully exploit the SPEs computational capabilities. The SPE program is then embedded within a standard PowerPC program. The PowerPC program creates SPE threads passing a pointer the embedded SPE program to them. All 10 threads operate independently, and are explicitly synchronized by the programmer.

ps:

On development for Rage. "...and we're trying to say pretty plainly that this is going to be the one thing that the PS3 version is gonna be better at, and in fact it's almost the worst sort of thing for Microsoft there because we are having to work twice as hard on the PS3 to bring it up to spec. But in the end it's going to be 60fps game, and it's going to wind up looking just like the 360, we just had to sweat lot more for it. And if it winds up getting a benefit because of the blu-ray and having the better compression on there, then it's going to wind up looking like the PS3 was the better machine, even though it really wasn't...

- John Carmack Unplugged

please..please Microsoft if I say good thing's reduce the Licence fee's on multiple-disc's

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

BECAUSE XBOX FANS GET BANNED FOR NOTHING AND CLEARLY PS3 FANS DO NOT. I WILL MOST LIKELY GET BANNED FOR USING THE WORD FANS AND A PS3 FAN WON'T. THIS SITE IS CLEARLY RAN BY PS3 FANS AND NOT 360.

BELIEVE ME YOU CAN'T BE A XBOX FAN ON THIS SITE AND GET AWAY WITH IT..........

YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT PS3 AT ALL WITH OUT GETTING BANNED, WHILE YOU CAN TRASH THE XBOX 360 ALL DAY LONG......

SO THATS WHY YOU NEVER SEE XBOX 360 FANS POSTING . YOU WILL GET BANNED ALMOST RIGHT AWAY.

WHAT A JOKE.

NATAL WILL BE MS WAY INTO JAPAN.......

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Garnett said:
joeorc said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:
Twistedpixel said:
Garnett said:

this is the first line:

According to IBM’s white pages, the cell processor being used in the ps3 is considerably less powerful than what it has been hyped up to be.

bull shit, it's it's the same d@mn processor that was in the high class server's.

9 cores

1 disabled IE: the 8th core spe was for redundance IE meshed era redundance. IE the d@mn security vault.

2nd

rage 3d claim's

The xbox

360 has 3 general-purpose 2-threaded CPU's, which generates a proven 115.2 GFLOP’s which is dramatically easier for developers to utilize. By now it should be pathetically obvious that sony is no where near as far ahead as they try to lead you to think (keep in mind they claimed that the ps2 was more powerful than the original xbox, but were proven wrong publicly, since the xbox was indeed twice as powerful). The ps3 will, once you have taken into account thetotal amount of resources that will be used by their respective operating systems, end up with less CPU power available for graphical and physics processing than the 360.

where IBM states it's

3)

again rage 3d claim's

**SPE’s are floating point processors, they are also called DSP’s, and SPU’s. These floating point processors are NOT to be confused with cores, cores have far more prediction and calculation braches than floating point processors. As stated earlier, the 360 has 3 cores, each running at 3.2GHz, with 2 threads each. The cell also runs at 3.2GHz, but is the one and only core that the ps3 has.

where as the people who designed the d@mn processor who have PHD's, many year's experience in chip design

call it what they are

Core's

Cell is composed of nine processing elements: a standard PowerPC core, and eight SIMD cores. In addition, there is a dual XDR memory controller, and two I/O controllers. The processing cores, as of rev3, run at 3.2GHz.

Program Model

Two seperate programs are written. First, the explicitly software controlled memory SPE program is written. It may be necessary to use intrinsics in the inner loops to fully exploit the SPEs computational capabilities. The SPE program is then embedded within a standard PowerPC program. The PowerPC program creates SPE threads passing a pointer the embedded SPE program to them. All 10 threads operate independently, and are explicitly synchronized by the programmer.

ps:

On development for Rage. "...and we're trying to say pretty plainly that this is going to be the one thing that the PS3 version is gonna be better at, and in fact it's almost the worst sort of thing for Microsoft there because we are having to work twice as hard on the PS3 to bring it up to spec. But in the end it's going to be 60fps game, and it's going to wind up looking just like the 360, we just had to sweat lot more for it. And if it winds up getting a benefit because of the blu-ray and having the better compression on there, then it's going to wind up looking like the PS3 was the better machine, even though it really wasn't...

- John Carmack Unplugged

please..please Microsoft if I say good thing's reduce the Licence fee's on multiple-disc's

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH,,,,, GO BUY A XBOX 360. LIVE IS WHERE IT IS AT AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YOU KNOW!

joeorc said:
Garnett said:
joeorc said:
Garnett said:

this is the first line:

9 cores

2nd

rage 3d claim's

The xbox

where IBM states it's

3)

again rage 3d claim's

call it what they are

Core's

Program Model

ps:

- John Carmack Unplugged

You do know that link you posted was from 2006? Before the PS3 even launched..

Second i never said 360 was alot more powerful.

"These floating point processors are NOT to be confused with cores, cores have far more prediction and calculation braches than floating point processors. As stated earlier, the 360 has 3 cores, each running at 3.2GHz, with 2 threads each. The cell also runs at 3.2GHz, but is the one and only core that the ps3 has."

Thats just adding to 360 is more powerful, we know the power is there (Xbox360) and the cell could of been more powerful but it proved it wasnt.

"then it's going to wind up looking like the PS3 was the better machine, even though it really wasn't..."

The guy himself said the 360 was the better machine. 

Garnett said:
joeorc said:
Garnett said:
joeorc said:
Garnett said:

this is the first line:

9 cores

2nd

rage 3d claim's

The xbox

where IBM states it's

3)

again rage 3d claim's

call it what they are

Core's

Program Model

ps:

- John Carmack Unplugged

You do know that link you posted was from 2006? Before the PS3 even launched..

Second i never said 360 was alot more powerful.

"These floating point processors are NOT to be confused with cores, cores have far more prediction and calculation braches than floating point processors. As stated earlier, the 360 has 3 cores, each running at 3.2GHz, with 2 threads each. The cell also runs at 3.2GHz, but is the one and only core that the ps3 has."

Thats just adding to 360 is more powerful, we know the power is there (Xbox360) and the cell could of been more powerful but it proved it wasnt.

"then it's going to wind up looking like the PS3 was the better machine, even though it really wasn't..."

The guy himself said the 360 was the better machine. 

and the PROCESSOR WAS ALREADY PUT IN THE MACHINE'S, IT DID NOT CHANGE IT WAS STILL THE 90NM SCALED PROCESSOR IT WAS IN 2005 AS IT WAS IN 2006! , 2007 and 2008 it just went to 65nm it still was the same 9core processor, 1 spe core disabled for security.

I know you did not say that I am talking about the link's that you provided ware not anywhere near the truth

did you not read how could it be the better machine if they both are going to look exactly alike: he just stated, it took them longer that's all.

did you not see he's saying the cost per disc licence was the one thing that sony's machine has over the xbox360, if that was the case than there would be no way the PS3 could get to the level that the xbox360 is at. IF the PS3 was weaker!

the point being he's has been saying many time's the PS3 is more powerful with longer development Time, but yet developer's like Sony 1st party and 2nd party have been putting out pretty good game's and carmack is still working on his.? while I respect Carmack his take on the xbox360 and PS3 is from a multiplatform development standpoint  from his point of view, not every developer feel's they way he does or would agree with him.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
Garnett said:

that is so wrong I do not even know where to start.

Essentially all you need to say is this. For years and years the multiplatform developers have said that the systems are essentially equals in terms of performance and equal performance is what has been yielded out of the machines. A game like Battlefield Bad Company 2 pushes the PS3 harder computationally than Killzone 2 and yet both systems are running fine side by side.

Whats the exclusive difference?

A. Sony spends more money.

B. Exclusives are ahead of the pack due to the exclusive attention given to one system, the programmers not being divided over more than one platform essentially.

Never before have two consoles been so identical.

• Same memory quantity.
  • Same basic CPU instruction set
  • GPUs designed to meet the same DirectX specification
  • Similar number of transistors overall

Xbox 360 = PS3 = Xbox 360 = PS3 computationally. They are the HD twins for a very good reason.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Garnett said:

that is so wrong I do not even know where to start.

Essentially all you need to say is this. For years and years the multiplatform developers have said that the systems are essentially equals in terms of performance and equal performance is what has been yielded out of the machines. A game like Battlefield Bad Company 2 pushes the PS3 harder computationally than Killzone 2 and yet both systems are running fine side by side.

Whats the exclusive difference?

A. Sony spends more money.

B. Exclusives are ahead of the pack due to the exclusive attention given to one system, the programmers not being divided over more than one platform essentially.

Never before have two consoles been so identical.

• Same memory quantity.
  • Same basic CPU instruction set
  • GPUs designed to meet the same DirectX specification
  • Similar number of transistors overall

Xbox 360 = PS3 = Xbox 360 = PS3 computationally. They are the HD twins for a very good reason.

key word in your OPINION

"A game like Battlefield Bad Company 2 pushes the PS3 harder computationally than Killzone 2"

"GPUs designed to meet the same DirectX specification"

Sony uses Open GL not DirectX

that's why the xbox is called the xbox

"They are the HD twins for a very good reason."

that was the Media calling them that they are far from being  twin's

I AM BOLO

ps: