By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass effect reviews GT and IGN

Very nice reviews, definetly not my type of game though.

Around the Network

By the way I recommend the IGN video review. Is about 7 minutes long and is very insightful.

I got to take issue with few things IGN said involving choices in the game in thier written review.

"The two sides of the coin are called paragon and renegade. Both will get the job done. The question, though, is at what cost? Are you willing to sacrifice lives to achieve your goals? Be careful how you answer that question. Mass Effect can be so brutal at times that it will leave you slack jawed -- stunned that a game can hit you at your very core. The decisions aren't always cut and dry. The line between doing the right thing and going too far gets blurry at times and smudged out of existence at others."

No, it's not. The conversation wheel is actually set-up to make it easy. Anytime you can choose Paragon or Renegade choices, Paragon appear at the top of the wheel, and Renegade at the bottom. Fairly certain they even tell you in the manual that’s how it works. A lot of the decisions are very cut and dry.

To be honest most of the decisions aren’t that tough. Usually comes down to negotiating or killing to a solution. Or being an ass to get what you want, or being a nice guy to get what you want. A lot of time you wind up in the same resolution anyways. They even mention this in the next paragraph.

Though you are faced with many tough decisions with the paragon and renegade system, few of your actions appear to affect anything in the long term. In KOTOR, you had one decision to gas a planet to make finishing a quest easier. Doing this, however, raised the price of medkits for the remainder of the game (since you just gassed the plants used for medicine throughout the galaxy). That same level of cause and effect seems fairly absent in Mass Effect.

Now there are couple of tough calls on the last planet before the climax. (Provided you do them in the order you hear about them.) One of which really has no right or wrong choice. And that really was a masterful stroke, but for such a cinematic game, it really doesn’t dwell on it that long, which is a shame since it was probably the only decision I wasn’t sure how to make and it would have been nice to spend a little time exploring it.

They mentioned the crummy combat A.I. and the look and play a like uncharted worlds. Big disconnect would be if you like Cinematic gaming or not. I’m not a fan of it so for me it was a good game with flaws, if you love cinematic gaming you’ll probably be so taken you won’t mind them as much.

grandmaster192 said:
I probaly won't get this. It's not even turn-based, and the graphics don't look very good.

It is not often that one gets to witness a truly unique opinion but this is definitely one of them.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Greer said:

It is more turned based than most WRPGs on the market, the combat makes use of a pause command feature that IMO looks like it works very well.

Also, name another game that has environments this large, and depth equal to this game that has better graphics If you can name more than one I'd be impressed.

I can understand if turn based combat is more your thing, but when you bash the graphics, you just seem bitter that this is a 360 only game. Now if you have specific issues with the graphics, or can name a game that has done it better, I am all ears.

The Witcher

Around the Network
grandmaster192 said:
Greer said:

If you can name more than one I'd be impressed.

I can understand if turn based combat is more your thing, but when you bash the graphics, you just seem bitter that this is a 360 only game. Now if you have specific issues with the graphics, or can name a game that has done it better, I am all ears.

Why would I go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a 360 just to be bitter about it getting games? Just because I like the PS3 doesn't mean I can't enjoy a 360 game. Owning a Playstation 3 has nothing to do with me not liking this game. I guess you could say it's more of an art direction thing. I just don't like the way the game looks; the same goes for LO. If this game turns out to be incredible, I might consider it. But from what I have seen, the game doesn't look like I will like it.

When you render an opinion, you might want to separate Graphics for Art Direction/Art style.  They are two totally different things.  Graphics are textures, polygons, water surfaces, clouds, and so on.  Art style/direction has more to do with the presentation of the game.  A great game that I would use as an example is Super Mario Galaxy.  The graphics are very good -- great in some places -- but without hardware anti-aliasing, the jaggies are quite apparent.  It is a lower resolution game than 360 and PS3 titles and on pure graphics alone, SMG would be comparably "bad".  That said, the art direction/art style of SMG is among the best that has come out in quite a while.  The graphics being good (great in some areas) plus the excellent style make for a GREAT game overall.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

shio said:
Greer said:

It is more turned based than most WRPGs on the market, the combat makes use of a pause command feature that IMO looks like it works very well.

Also, name another game that has environments this large, and depth equal to this game that has better graphics If you can name more than one I'd be impressed.

The Witcher

Is the witcher out or do we have significant gameplay video at this point?  I thought this one was pretty far off?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

The Witcher is out already...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Wow, guess this game is a must-buy

grandmaster192 said:
I probaly won't get this. It's not even turn-based, and the graphics don't look very good.

You don't play graphics.