By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So...How was Heavy Rain?

So...How was Heavy Rain?

Loved it! 134 75.71%

Hated it! 4 2.26%

Meh.. 17 9.60%

Plääh. 7 3.95%

Ok. 15 8.47%

Total:177

Love it!!! Though I'm over it now :D as I got the Platinum... I'll play it next year me thinks :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network

It wasn't bad at all, but I finsihed it and I doubt I'll ever play it again.

I don't feel like writing a full review of it at the moment, but here's a quick list of some of the pros and cons:

Pros

• INCREDIBLE graphics -- environments and characters are both awe inspiring
  • Scenes with crowds and crowds of people are great
  • Action scenes are brilliant
  • Did a good job of using QTE's
  • Good story that keeps you guessing until the end

Cons

• Probably the worst movement controls of this decade
  • camera is incredibly annoying
  • trying to situate yourself because of the mixture of the above two things is just painful
  • plotholes, plotholes, plotholes
  • The accents are pretty bad with all of the childrens being terrible
  • By the end of the game doing the mundane things just felt kind of like a waste
  • short with little to no replay value.  There are multiple endings and you might replay the last few chapters to see some, but most people aren't going to play through this more than once.
  • When you're looking at the characters thoughts/decisions, it's so hard to see what you're trying to select.  The options move off screen, wildly shake, get too small, or behind the character and you just can't see what you want to press.
  • sometimes the environment or characters hide prompts making them really hard to see
  • I'm pretty sure this game would be unplayable on a standard TV.  I had problems enough seeing some things on my 42" HD TV, I couldn't imagine many of the situations on a 20" SDTV.

All in all, it was a good game.  If I had to give it a rating right now, I would say give it a low 8.  The game itself was good but the movement controls were just so bad, the camera was terrible, and because of that you just don't really want to play through it again.  It's just long enough you don't want to rent it but short enough with little replay value that $60 is too much.

-edit-

And before CGI tells me he has replayed the game 20 times, all I have to say is you're not the norm.  Most people will get a single playthrough out of this and little more than that.

Also, I had my friend that I was thinking of getting a PS3 play it yesterday.

She isn't a gamer and she wanted to play it because she's a film person.  She made it through about 2-3 hours yesterday and she liked it.

Pros

• She liked the story
  • She got use to the QTE's, though I still had to help her and call out buttons on the faster sequences (X was down button, O was right button, ect)

Cons

• It was painful watching her suffer through navigating the environements, the controls are just so bad.
  • She was upset she had to see breasts but no wang.

Also, watching her play the scene with Nathanial was *hilarious*.

It got to the point where he brought the gun out and she had the option to just shoot him or talk him down.  She started talking him down and asked me if it was possible.  I told her I didn't even bother trying and shot him.  So she kept trying and eventually talked the crazy guy down.  The guy then reached inside his coat for the crucifix and she immediately shot him because she thought he was about to hurt Blake. 

She saw what she had done and she was crushed and wanted to restart because she was afraid bad things were going to happen.

CGI-Quality said:

Pretty funny, when many people have played it more than once. Your time with it =/= the whole world, and I never insinuated that mine would.

I only made that comment because I read your above post. 

And if the controls weren't so dreadful I would say people might go through the game again, but horrible controls + slow beginning + can't skip dialogue = not everyone will want to play through it again.

And remember, forum goers are the minority by far.

A benchmark of what "videogames" can accomplish.

Around the Network

I loved it.
A few scenes got my heart pumping in a way that no video game has ever done. It was thoroughly amazing from start to finish.