By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Rankings Vs. Metacritic

gamerankings uses the more reliable sources i've found, and excludes the unreliable (obviously) .. thats why prefer to use that over metacritic, both are fine though for what they do

Around the Network

Metacritic has a superior methodology, there is no doubt about that. Statistically its a vastly superior way to undertake analysis. Quite simply all reviewers are simply not created equal, and shouldn't be considered as such.

Coming from a reasonable statistics background, gamerankings is rather useless. 

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
a.l.e.x59 said:
Which one do you think is more accurate? Game Rankings, or Metacritic?

Accurate? I think you meant to ask "which do you prefer"...

And for everyone who thinks there is a huge difference, you need to realize that the two sites are not independent, they're associated with each other. But overall Metacritic is a more highly regarded site (it's the one that gets mentioned by industry people).

The reason games like Crash Bandicoot 1 are not on there is because it's a relatively new site that should only be relied upon for recently released games (see their list of top films, which is basically recent movies and a few old movies that got reviewed because they came out on DVD), so games that came out in the last 3-4 years.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

i prefer the layout of meta, and how you can scroll down and read the summarys from all the reviews. gamerankings is better for the overall rankings and searching.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

Metacritic is the better site, but the rankings in Gamerankings are better.

The main problem I have is they arbitrarily assign a number rating to reviews that don't have a number rating, based on the content of the review. These numbers always seem ridiculous

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
both suck

That comment is pointless unless you offer a site that is better.

Picko said:

Metacritic has a superior methodology, there is no doubt about that. Statistically its a vastly superior way to undertake analysis. Quite simply all reviewers are simply not created equal, and shouldn't be considered as such.

How do you determine which site is superior?  This is where metacritic fails, their method of deciding which sites have greater weight appears to be purely arbitrary, and results in games like Tony hawk ending up in the top ten, when its obviously not that good of a game

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Picko said:

Uhm, weighting data without some sort of reason that is defined by the nature of the data is just inviting innacuracies.  Its one thing to weight test scores which are objectively scored and quite another to weight review scores which are completely subjective.  Put simply, a weighting of a subjective score is another subjective decision and introduces the possibility for further innacuracies.

It would be different if we were interested in collecting the subjective data the reviewers produce but we are actually interested in the quality of the game and substituting the subjective review scores which quite literally represent one person's opinion and not necessarily the game's quality. 

I actually think the GR "weighting" by only counting trustworthy sites is a lot better method.  But it still is open to increased innacuracy due to the weighting.  Sometimes it helps sometimes it hurts.

To Each Man, Responsibility

i prefer gameranking.
i don't like the black design of metacritic.

i like gamerankings because it averages with increment but metacritic updates it faster