By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you call your metal black?

makingmusic476 said:
tacoking said:
Not into any specific type of metal specifically...I like a lot of bands across all subgenres. In Flames probably being my favorite...

...though Iced Earths new album rocks.

All Iced Earth rocks. Old, new, w/e.  It all kicks ass!

Sorry, I'm a bit of an IE fanboy. :P 

Couldn't get into their older stuff, but just love the newest album.

Game of the year.

Now Playing: Guitar Hero III (Wii)

Around the Network
choirsoftheeye said:
makingmusic476 said:
choirsoftheeye said:
makingmusic476 said:
I don't listen to black metal too often out of matters of principle, but I get into lot's of folk and viking metal. I absolutely love Amon Amarth, and also listen to Ensiferum, Agalloch, Mithotyn, and others.

Out of all metal, I favor melodeath and power metal (especially the symphonic and progressive stuff). My favorite bands are Iced Earth, Soilwork, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Nightwish, Amon Amarth, and others.
My personal take on the whole dealing with black metal ideology thing is that I just don't send them any money for their music. I'll appreciate it, but I won't monetarily support ideologies I have issues with. Also, some of the bands involved have agendas I can get behind - see, for example, the aforementioned Wolves in the Throne Room, who live on a farm in the pacific northwest because they don't like the modern world.

Agalloch is on eof my favorite bands. Amon Amarth = ace, especially Versus the World. The new one is pretty good, I guess, but a little overproduced. In terms of melodeath, have you heard Arsis? (and I'm assuming you've heard Dark Tranquillity, but otherwise, get on that :))

I certainly listen to DT. Arsis? Never heard of them, but I'll definitely check them out. What are your thoughts on Scar Symmetry? I heard they're really good, with music in the vein of early Soilwork and (somewhat) In Flames. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Click here to see a list of what I usually listen to. Got any good recommendations?

You should check out Nevermore, I think they'd be up your alley. Also Wintersun was started by the original singer from Ensiferum, so that might work too. Arsis might be a little on the brutal side compared to your normal stuff, but give it a chance, there's a lot of melody in there.

Oh! and you should really listen to Death, especially The Sound of Perserverance. That album is SO GOOD.

I already listen to both Nevermore and Wintersun, via youtube. It's truly excellent stuff, but I'm just too broke to buy their albums. :P

I've been meaning to check out more of Death for a long while now. I know some of their stuff, but not enough to really get a feel for the band.

choirsoftheeye said:
NJ5 said:

OK, here are some of the bands I like:

Arch Enemy - listen to "Wages of Sin" if you don't know them
Behemoth
Decapitated
Emperor
Entombed
Firewind, but damn did they suck when I saw them live :(
Hypocrisy - some of their stuff
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Metallica
Necrophagist (you have to listen to this one if you don't know it - especially the first album)
Nevermore
Nile
Opeth (some stuff)
Symphony X
Testament
Theory in Practice
Witchery

There's more, but that should give you an idea.

I actually know a good number of those bands. Necrophagist I didn't like on first impression - a little too focused on technicality and not on the music, but I suppose I should look a little deeper. Nile, I've also been meaning to look into. I love Arch Enemy, Meshuggah and Emperor, like Behemoth, Nevermore, Metallica, Slayer, Symphony X and Opeth. Megadeth, I've heard Rust in Peace, and I really like the guitar, but the vocals were kinda eh. What would I like from the other stuff?

Megadeth!  Hanger 18 ftw!

choirsoftheeye said:
LISMDK said:
makingmusic476 said:

Another good example...

...the best drinking song ever! xD

That...was...AWSOME!!!

Finntroll are the best party metal, ever.

Yup.

I'll be back with some recommendations for albums of those bands I mentioned tomorrow. I'm really sleepy and can't think now ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Here's the top 20 bands from my Last.Fm list:

1. Iced Earth
2. Soilwork
3. Nightwish
4. Kamelot
5. Dark Tranquillity
6. Children of Bodom
7. Amon Amarth
8. In Flames
9. Metallica
10. Iron Maiden
11. Blind Guardian
12. Rhapsody
13. Pantera
14. DragonForce
15. Shadows Fall ( how'd they get so high!?!)
16. Arch Enemy
17. Demons & Wizards
18. Pyramaze
19. Ozzy Osbourne
20. Bruce Dickinson

Btw, Kamelot, Bruce Dickinson, and Shadows Fall (the latter two especially) are all a bit higher than they should be. I just happen to have a lot of their music on hand, so they get listened to a bit more than some others as a result.

@makingmusic476
Can you recommend a good Iced Earth Album for me.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music
LISMDK said:
@makingmusic476
Can you recommend a good Iced Earth Album for me.

Based on your interests, I'd have to recommend Something Wicked This Way Comes or Burnt Offerings. SWTWC has a bit more thrashy feel to it, and Burnt Offerings seemsa bit more influenced by Celtic Frost and other early death metal.  Overall, both albums are signature IE power/thrash.

You can read below to get a general breakdown of all the albums and choose which one you think you should get.

Iced Earth on the whole is a mix of thrash and power metal. The best description I could think of would be Iron Maiden on steroids, with lot's of thrash rythms sections thrown into the mix. They stick with Maiden's signature gallop, of course, only speeding it up quite a bit, and throwing in lot's of variation between the 8th and 16th notes.

They've gone through four singers, though my favorite, Matt Barlow, was with them for the longest time, lasting from albums 3-7. There new singer, Tim "The Ripper" Owens, is also kick ass as well, though he doesn't have quite the same feel as Barlow, though I don't think any singer will ever be able to match Barlow, ever.

Overall, Iced Earth's sound has evolved from being very riff oriented power/thrash metal, to being more prog, all the while keeping that same signature IE sound. Their first two albums (Iced Earth and Night of the Stormrider) seemed a bit "cut & paste" in my opinion. They contained loads of awesome riffs, but for the most part, they seemed to just be thrown together one after the other. It was still some really great music, though.

Their third album, Burnt Offerings, was a bit of a step up from their previous releases, and songs started to flow together a bit more smoothly. It was with this album that Matt Barlow entered the scene, which truly makes it stand out above it's two predecessors.

Their fourth album, The Dark Saga, was probably a breakthrough for the band in trems of song construction and overall production values. Every song felt whole and complete, and flowed very smoothly. The mixing was done perfectly. Many look down upon this album, however, as it's a bit on the slow side, though it's one of my favs, and the final track is truly an epic to behold.

The fourth and fifth albums, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Horror Show, are by far their best. Which one I prefer usually depends on which one I'm listening to at the time, lol. Overall, however, I'd say that the song construction is more consistent on Horror Show, but SWTWC has so many stellar tracks that it makes up for any weak ones that may be on the album. Actually, none of them are weak, just merely different. SWTWC has a few tracks, like Stand Alone and My Own Savior, that are a bit more thrashy than the usual IE, and then there's the somewhat bluesy Reaping Stone. On the whole, every song still has that signature IE feel to it, and you won't be disappointed. The Something Wicked trilogy at the end is probably the best IE has ever produced. Horror Show, however, has two of my all-time favorite IE tracks, Damien and the Phantom Opera Ghost. Damien is probably one of the most epic songs I've ever heard in my life.

Matt Barlow then left the band just prior to recording the 6th album, the Glorious Burden, because of personal issues. He became a cop, but he is now planning to return to metal fronting another great power metal band, Pyramaze. With TGB saw the arrival of Tim Owens, who previously sung for Judas Priest when Halfrod left for a while, and also fronts his own band, Beyond Fear. The 6th album is a really good album, imo, though many don't like it due to the vocals. They were designed for Matt, but I still think Tim did an excellent job, especially on the Gettysburg (1863) Trilogy. High Water Mark, the finale of the trilogy, will forever be my favorite song of all time. It's truly epic, though it may have a somewhat special impact for me, having had ancestors who fought in the War Between the States, and being an avid Southern supporter myself. This trilogy also contained some minor prog elements compared to past IE works (some violins, whoopee.. :P).

Their latest release, Framing Armageddon, is the first of two albums (the next being recorded as I type, and should release in early '08) that cover the tale from the original Something Wicked trilogy in much more detail. Tim Owens' vocals really standout on the album, and on the whole the album has a very prog feel to it. It even reminds me of Kamelot sometimes, though, as always, keeping that signature IE feel to it. The guitars tend to be a bit quiter than usual, often overpowered by the vocal lines, so sometimes the awesome riffage will go unnoticed until the 2-3rd listen.

So why did I type all of this? I dunno, my fingers just started flying. This is just how I get whenever Iced Earth is mentioned. :P

And if you read all of this, bravo good chap!

I'll have to check out The Gathering and Divinity Destroyed.

"Everyone else see's the Joker laugh; only Harley has ever seen him cry."- Arleen Sorkin

In an hour of Darkness a blind man is
the best guide. In an age of Insanity
look to the madman to show the way.
- - Warhammer 40,000 rule book

Stevetrop said:
I'll have to check out The Gathering and Divinity Destroyed.

Something a little older 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPlSStc7Qs

something a little newer 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJ0su6oiyQ&

This is the best I can do on youtube, they have a website and a myspace page as well that you can check out if you like.