By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1UP Reviews Deadly Premonition...not a joke review like IGN and Destructoid

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178205&p=4

7.5/10 according to metacritic. Someone needs to explain to me how 100, 75, 50 and 20 add up to 48 average.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/deadlypremonition

Some review highlights:

"The controls are clunky, the combat is tedious, it's full of those dreaded "fetch quests" we all like to complain about, the occasionally nonsensical cut-scenes often last too long, and a lot of the graphics would look right at home on the Dreamcast. The game is flawed in many ways, and if you're already turned off, I would advise you to move on and never look back."

"For the rest of you -- those champions of innovation and good taste who won't let a few blemishes stop you from having a good time -- I want to tell you about the most fun I've had playing a videogame in a good long while. Deadly Premonition is the kind of experience that reminds you of why you fell in love with this medium in the first place. Once you look past its flaws, you'll find a game that is completely engrossing for far longer than it ought to be, is refreshingly self-aware that it is, in fact, a videogame and not a movie, and in many ways, is one of the best examples of game writing I've ever seen."

"The way the game plays out is something like a cross between the open world and pinpoint map objectives of Grand Theft Auto, the wandering and interrogating of Shenmue, the observational "stalking" parts of The Last Express (characters carry out their daily rituals and have conversations with each other, whether or not you're there to see them), and the standing-still-while-shooting combat of Resident Evil 4. It is a "jack of all trades, master of none" scenario, unfortunately, but it somehow balances out into a good game."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first reaview I've read where the reviewer looks like he gets the point of the game...and this is VGChartz review included.

I picked the game up last week but haven't had a chance to play it yet due to Bioshock 2 and Sonic All Star Racing. Reviews like this make me want to Bioshock 2 to the backburner...in order to play a "flawed budget game".

Around the Network

honestly if you like this genre you owe it to your self to play heavy rain.It was fukin brilliant.Exceeded my expectation.one of the best games this generation up there with uncharted 2 imo.

As for this game,it looks really outdated.So i can't get in to it.I m no graphic whore but this is just not acceptable with the power X360 and PS3 have.

SpartanFX said:
honestly if you like this genre you owe it to your self to play heavy rain.It was fukin brilliant.Exceeded my expectation.one of the best games this generation up there with uncharted 2 imo.

As for this game,it looks really outdated.So i can't get in to it.I m no graphic whore but this is just not acceptable with the power X360 and PS3 have.

Heavy reain is on the list of PS3 games to get. I am looking at the way PS3 is going to handle 3D...if it supports it properly Ill get it along with heavy rain and 3-4 other games that peaked my interest over the years.

About the games visuals...so you don't think peggle is a good game just cause those graphics could have been done on the dreamcast? But thats really not the point with Deadly Premonition...I think it seems like its one of those games where visuals, sound, gameplay all come second fiddle to the overall atmosphere and vibe of the game.

SpartanFX said:

Not every game needs to be gorgeous and the only time the graphics look real bad is when you are outside. Indoors the graphics look like a 2005ish X360 title "sorta". I can deal with this! The story is interesting and I can't wait to find out who the killer is. As for Heavy Rain I am around 6-8 hours into it right now and the story is good but has WAY too slow a pacing for my taste. Graphics are what really make Heavy Rain stand out more than anything.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

SpartanFX said:
honestly if you like this genre you owe it to your self to play heavy rain.

Really? On Windows or the XBox?

Oh wait, It's on neither system. Your in the wrong forum.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

7.5/10 according to metacritic. Someone needs to explain to me how 100, 75, 50 and 20 add up to 48 average.

http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml

"The METASCORE is considered a weighted average because we assign more significance, or weight, to some critics and publications than we do to others, based on the overall stature and quality of those critics and publications."

skip said:
disolitude said:

http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml

"The METASCORE is considered a weighted average because we assign more significance, or weight, to some critics and publications than we do to others, based on the overall stature and quality of those critics and publications."

I can't even believe they posted that Destructoid Review. It's the embodiement of what's wrong with the video game critics. This is the only medium that Transformers 2 would be more critically acclaimed than, say, No Country for Old Men.

PS3 Trophies

CGI-Quality said:
I have and like Deadly premonition. All survival horror fans should check it out.

For real CGI? I'm very serious now, I've heard a lot of great things now, if you're being serious I will buy this game.

That's good to hear it got a fair review. I'm working on Heavy Rain at the moment but I can't wait to give Deadly Premonition a go, I'm really looking forward to it.

As for Heavy Rain (since people are mentioning it), I'm enjoying it but it gets a little less enjoyable with every play session. Don't get me wrong, the action sequences are brilliant, it's just every thing else is just getting more and more...ugh.

(though the baby part was pretty awesome and it was pretty cool being gentle with the controller--actually, in general I keep playing because I like the detective chapters)

wow

now i want to buy this game

horror game, plus they dropped the word 'shenmue'

ok im dying now

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889