By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My PS3 "Fat" is fine. Here's what I think is the reason why.

My clock did jump to 12/31 just like everyone else's, but I've had no other problems other than the fact that my Force Unleashed trophies are no longer present.  I have a 20 gig launch PS3.  Therefore, I don't have wi-fi.  Because of this, I have a 50 ft. ethernet cable running under the floor to my DSL box.  I switch between the cable for the computer and the cable for the PS3 as necessary.  I don't go online much and haven't been online since a few days ago (before the problem) and my PS3 is not automatically connected to the internet like most people's.  I've played plenty of games, watched movies and listened to music this whole time and everything works fine.  I manually set my date and time just before typing this and listened to a few songs as a sort of test.  Still fine.  Despite Sony's warnings to not even turn on your system, I will continue to use my PS3 as much as ever.  I just won't go online with it until we're given the "all clear".  Rumor has it the whole problem may fix itself at midnight anyway.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

So... what do you think is the reason?

4 ≈ One

I thought I was clear, but sorry if I wasn't. The reason is that my PS3 only connects to the internet when I want it to and not every time I turn it on like most people's.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Same goes for me man.I have an ethernet cable as well,which I switch all the time.I didnt experience the problems other people had,but it's cause my ps3 doesnt automatically log in.

dougsdad0629 said:
I thought I was clear, but sorry if I wasn't. The reason is that my PS3 only connects to the internet when I want it to and not every time I turn it on like most people's.

I see.

That's cool. Except people who have never connected their PS3's to the internet are having this issue. It's not an error with PSN. It's a hardware problem. I'm also on a wired connection btw. I noticed the problem as soon as I got home and turned on my PS3. 

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I have a 160gb PS3. Just signed in. Apparently i'm not the only 160gb owner who has no issues.

"You suck" - IN-TE-LL-ECT-UAL on the world. 

IN-TE-LL-ECT-UAL said:
I have a 160gb PS3. Just signed in. Apparently i'm not the only 160gb owner who has no issues.

The 160's aren't supposed to be affected by this.

dougsdad0629 said:

My clock did jump to 12/31 just like everyone else's, but I've had no other problems other than the fact that my Force Unleashed trophies are no longer present.  I have a 20 gig launch PS3.  Therefore, I don't have wi-fi.  Because of this, I have a 50 ft. ethernet cable running under the floor to my DSL box.  I switch between the cable for the computer and the cable for the PS3 as necessary.  I don't go online much and haven't been online since a few days ago (before the problem) and my PS3 is not automatically connected to the internet like most people's.  I've played plenty of games, watched movies and listened to music this whole time and everything works fine.  I manually set my date and time just before typing this and listened to a few songs as a sort of test.  Still fine.  Despite Sony's warnings to not even turn on your system, I will continue to use my PS3 as much as ever.  I just won't go online with it until we're given the "all clear".  Rumor has it the whole problem may fix itself at midnight anyway.

I think youre misunderstanding the issue.

Your system is just as effected as anyuone elses. Its only certain games not working offline, your trophies disappearing, the clock resetting and unable to connect online are all the problems, youre no different. Game save data has been spotty so id be careful, youre system is no different than all of our broken systems.

Dgc1808 said:
dougsdad0629 said:

I see.

That's cool. Except people who have never connected their PS3's to the internet are having this issue. It's not an error with PSN. It's a hardware problem. I'm also on a wired connection btw. I noticed the problem as soon as I got home and turned on my PS3. 

It is not a hardware problem. It is a software problem.

Dgc1808 said:
dougsdad0629 said:

I see.

I may not know exactly what's going on with the PSN...but I fail to see how that could be a "hardware problem" ....just saying...