By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Reviews have gotten technical

I remember running down to my local newsagents to buy my latest copy of Official Nintendo Magazine to find out how good Super Empire strikes back was. Back then a review would spend loads more time talking about how fun it was do this, or how fun it was to do that. Graphics got a mention but nothing like today. As long as the game had no real slowdown and god fun level design it got good reviews.

The trouble today with reviews is people spend to much time either comparing or saying oh it's only 600p so it only deserves a 5. BOLLOCKS. I never listen to reviews anymore. Instead I watch videos of the like that of Gamersyde and make my own judgements. 90% of the time I can say I'm right with my choices and most go against reviews.

Graphically the reviewers should only diss the graphics if theres major slowdown, and it becomes unplayable. The highest and most major concern is are you having fun. If you play the game through to the end that is a telling factor. Who cares if a game is 6 hours long. If you enjoyed it and still play online then it's a good game.

I am so tempted to put together a team and start my own site for reviews because the review industry has gotten diabolicle. Would anyone trust an unbiased review page from a team of non fanboys?

Anyways thats off my chest.

:)

Around the Network

I wish there was no text to reviews, just the name of the game and 5 pictures representing a scale of 1 to 5....#5 being a picture of clown with a big grin and a squirty flower to represent great fun and #1 being a pile of dig shit on the pavement.

Much easier to undertand!

You may not have to start your own site, as amateur reviewers are already judging games based more on fun than graphics. Even Zero Punctuation.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I agree! I love how reviews always average in graphics, sound, and a bunch of other crap, when it should be 2 factors: ease of controls and the fun factor. The game should be fun, and the controls, art style, and music should just not be in the way of the fun. That's all.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I've never played a Wii game till the end of it.

Thus I can assess that everyone game on the Wii is horrible. Especially Zelda.

Around the Network

Rubang... The controls, art style and music should CONTRIBUTE to the fun, ideally.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Well lets be honest review scores are made for people who need help on deciding to buy a game or not since they apperantly don't have the brainpower to make their own decisions. And dumb people like shiny graphics. Get it?

Dumber gamers=graphic whores.
Graphic whores+review-graphics review=lost.
Graphic whores+review+graphics review=all better.

But seriously I remember when the graphics tab was not about polygons or color pallets but art direction. Too bad it is not like that anymore.

yep for me graphics dont really matter,for me frame rate matters alot

Graphics don't matter as long as they're held up to a certain standard.

Unless some of you would be fine with us playing in 2D.

MontanaHatchet said:
Graphics don't matter as long as they're held up to a certain standard.

Unless some of you would be fine with us playing in 2D.

Well almost no one is excusing cruisin's graphics, so there is a standard.

Oh, and I don't think you noticed, but some of the bestselling, and top rated DS and PSP games are 2D. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs