By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Atlus announces upcoming 360 games.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/index.htm

Atlus announced they were making games a while ago, but now we know what they are.

Atlus has just announced that they are now an official Xbox 360 3rd party publisher, and with this announcement comes some news on two new titles.

The company that makes everything I like to play (Ontamarama, Persona series, Trauma Center, Odin Sphere, and so much more) has just announced a partnership with Microsoft to bring some next-gen goodness to the Xbox 360. 

“We are very proud to pledge our support to the Xbox 360 and to officially partner with Microsoft to bring quality titles to their impressive entertainment system,” said Tim Pivnicny, Vice President Sales & Marketing of Atlus U.S.A., Inc. “Atlus is renowned for its expertise and excellence in the RPG genre with critically-acclaimed hits like Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and Odin Sphere, in addition to the award-winning Trauma Center franchise. We are honored to be able to contribute to the Xbox 360 and are eager to deliver the Atlus gaming experience to its owners.”

A new WWII-era fantasy  RPG called Operation Darkness has the best story setup I've ever heard of, mashing up turn based strategy with Hitler and fantasy monsters. I promise that I'm not making that up. It is in the works for a 2008 release. Also, the Spectral Force series will be making its North American debut with Spectral Force 3, another strategy RPG title. 

Say it with me: Yay for Xbox 360 RPGs!

Check out the full release after the jump. 

Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced a partnership to become an officially licensed 3rd party publisher for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. As part of this announcement, it was revealed that a pair of strategy RPGs, Operation Darkness and Spectral Force 3, would be among the first titles Atlus will release for the Xbox 360 in 2008, demonstrating a strong commitment to the console and to the next generation of gaming.

“We are very proud to pledge our support to the Xbox 360 and to officially partner with Microsoft to bring quality titles to their impressive entertainment system,” said Tim Pivnicny, Vice President Sales & Marketing of Atlus U.S.A., Inc. “Atlus is renowned for its expertise and excellence in the RPG genre with critically-acclaimed hits like Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and Odin Sphere, in addition to the award-winning Trauma Center franchise. We are honored to be able to contribute to the Xbox 360 and are eager to deliver the Atlus gaming experience to its owners.”

About Operation Darkness:
Enter an alternate WWII-era world where history and fantasy collide! Leading an army of ruthless officers and unearthly creatures, Adolf Hitler marches through Europe, leaving behind a trail of death and destruction. With his powers on the rise and his armies on the move, it falls on you and your team of elite soldiers to cut deep into the heart of the Third Reich and strike a fatal blow to Hitler’s ever-growing legion of evil!

About Spectral Force 3:
Magic Era: 996. The ten kingdoms of the land, seizing the opportunity provided by Overlord Janus's death, are attempting to unify the continent under their own banners. This is the beginning of the Great Neverland War. In order to bolster their defenses, kingdoms have begun hiring mercenary units. As new members of the Norius Mercenaries, you and your friend Diaz are eager to prove yourselves. When the squad’s commander Judo is mortally wounded in battle, the mantle of leadership is entrusted to you, and so the adventure begins…

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Wow, if MS just gets SE, they will become the king of rpgs
just wow, they are really trying to get RPGS, and good choice by MS atlus is one of the best

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

360 SRPGS.... AWESOME.

Ironically the Xbox360 has the best quality and the most quantity of JRPGs to at least mid 2008. I'm glad I own one.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Ive never played any of their games, but I love RPG's. Great news!!

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network

friedtofu: Well, probably not, unless you play anything with the pre-title of Shin Megami Tensei. However, that's not the majority of their work, they are responsible for translating and publishing in NA many small Japanese games... so they are a great ally to have for any RPG fan.

Though I'm not exactly certain just how many Japanese programmers are working on the 360 right now. Hey, I may need to get a 360 after all.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Atlus? On MY 360??

Seriously, this is excellent news. Atlus seems to love to tinker with the console RPG genre, such that everything they put out is at least a little off-the-wall. (Unlike a certain nameless developer whose name begins with S and ends with x, who seems content to shovel out generic menu-based crap ever since a certain game of theirs became a megahit back in the Playstation 1 days...)

At any rate, even if an Atlus game isn't perfect, it's usually guaranteed to be entertaining, at the very least. Here's hoping that these games come out well - and make it Stateside. (Which I'd imagine they will, as Atlus USA is growing as a publisher.)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

@soriku - They're making two rpgs for the 360 and one for the Wii - I don't think they've pledged all their support, just some of it. I don't think we can make global assumptions about them or Namco's long term plans at this point.

On topic: Yay! Atlus rocks.

Soriku said:
Wait, they'll still make games for other platforms right? But mostly 360?

So (for RPGs):

Nintendo - Mostly Namco

MS - Mostly Atlus

Sony - ??? (And no, SE isn't still mostly commited to PS3/Sony)

Second parties:

Nin - Monolith Soft

MS - Mistwalker

Sony - ???

lets fix that list up a bit?

Nintendo-namco/ internal studios

MS-namco and atlus

Sony- SE can still be counted sony, though only their flagship title is the only thing remaining exclusive. Their internal studios.

Second

Nin-monolith soft

MS-Mistwalker/feel plus

Sony-Level 5

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

o

Soriku said:
@Lost

I was talking about ACTUAL SPs, not some SP games. Level 5 is a TP.

o ok just ignore my list then