By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Destructoid: Deadly Premonition is THE greatest game ever made

Reading the IGN review, the game sounds quite tedious (poor shooting and aiming controls, crappy camera, very slow pacing, etc.) Apparently it also takes forever to get to places with your car. It wouldn't hurt to rent it. But I'm going through a couple rentals and FF13 is coming out in 13 days so I might put it off for awhile.

I don't think IGN is in the wrong if the gameplay is as broken as they describe it. No matter how cheap a game is, it is critically important that games be fun. Even if they are free. Also a great story can't make up for 20+ hours of crappy, clunky, tedious gameplay. I'll have to see for myself if the gameplay is that bad. It would be unfortunate if the gameplay sucked because I think I'd like the story and atmosphere for this game. I wouldn't be prepared to invest 20+ hours in a game I didn't like just to uncover more of a good story though. I'd be better off reading a good book or watching a movie or tv series I enjoy if story was all I wanted.

Around the Network

You know...every now and then i like to torture myself with a campy, over the top, crappy title....this may be it, for only $20 i don't have much to lose, lol.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

I hope this gives DP the much-needed attention it deserves.

For $20, your not going to get a longer, more decent title. Is it campy? Yeah. Cheezy? Yeah. But for what it is, its a total departure from your normal shooter titles, and is incredibly solid.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I really do like the music. No joke. The old woman is an okay voice actor. The guy. My god I am better hahaha.

reminds me of this.

i seriously didn't get what he was saying the first time i saw it (because i was too busy listening to Blind Guardian music at the background)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

"and to prove it, I present to you the greatest cutscene in videogame history"

where is it?

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
"and to prove it, I present to you the greatest cutscene in videogame history"

where is it?

your eyes can't see it because its too awesome.

in other words click the link.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Did i not say this in the OTHER thread??!?!!

Garnett said:
Did i not say this in the OTHER thread??!?!!

haha...you did. I saw it!

I got the game, but haven't had the cahnce to play it cause of all the hockey games last night.

I'll be on the hype train soon...if it lives up to what has been promissed.

loves2splooge said:

Reading the IGN review, the game sounds quite tedious (poor shooting and aiming controls, crappy camera, very slow pacing, etc.) Apparently it also takes forever to get to places with your car. It wouldn't hurt to rent it. But I'm going through a couple rentals and FF13 is coming out in 13 days so I might put it off for awhile.

I don't think IGN is in the wrong if the gameplay is as broken as they describe it. No matter how cheap a game is, it is critically important that games be fun. Even if they are free. Also a great story can't make up for 20+ hours of crappy, clunky, tedious gameplay. I'll have to see for myself if the gameplay is that bad. It would be unfortunate if the gameplay sucked because I think I'd like the story and atmosphere for this game. I wouldn't be prepared to invest 20+ hours in a game I didn't like just to uncover more of a good story though. I'd be better off reading a good book or watching a movie or tv series I enjoy if story was all I wanted.

Ah, but its really not that bad. I am wondering what game the reviewer was comparing it to. Does it have the pace of Gears of War? No. But the pacing is pretty good.

Control wise, the game is no different than Dead Rising, which got an 8.0. The game is not broken at all. I don't get where they are believing it is. It is no less broken than Resident Evil 2 was. Is it dated? Yes. But certainly not broken. The gameplay doesn't suck. When my fiancee is playing it, I'm glued to the screen to see what happens next. More Kevin Bacon references? Another 30 foot demon dog in the middle of the road? More crazy plot twists?

And it doesn't take forever to get from point A to point B. The map is big, but its not so big that it is a hinderance to gameplay.

The only real true gripe there is to the game is the map. It doesn't zoom out enough, and whatever way you are facing is the way it orients.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.