By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft believes it “will outsell the PS3 in 2010,'' says Greenberg

jarrod said:
wholikeswood said:
jarrod said:
wholikeswood said:

b) FFXIII has already pushed more consoles than GTAIV ever did. It boosted PS3 to 240k in Japan on launch, with 118k second week, 127k third week.

Uh... I think you can attribute that 3rd week mainly to the holiday bump...

Oh no, my whole argument collapses!!!!1111

Yeah, I know the holiday bump comes around New Year for Japan and that that is heavily responsible for the 127k, but FFXIII still inflated those sales because an awful lot of Japanese gamers picking up a PS3 console that week would have been doing it for FFXIII - they were just waiting for money from their parents for that special holiday week/waiting for that week when their parents would pick them up a PS3&FFXIII.

Just saying, it's hard to make such a direct comparison to hardware gains from a game that launches in mid April to a game that launches in mid-December.  It's very much apples/oranges.

I'd agree that FFXIII pushed more hardware, but it also had a lot of things going in it's favor (platform exclusivity, limited edition hardware bundle, holiday season).  If you wanted to drive the point home moreso, just compare the FFXIII demo bump (from FFVIIACC) to GTA4 (it was bigger too, lol).

Apologies for my sarcasm.

The yellow is another excellent example, thank you.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
William, at least when it comes to the PS1, I don´t think luck alone explains the huge success Sony had with it....back then they really seemed to know how to take advantage of Nintendo´s and Sega´s mistakes....I don´t think luck alone would get your system to be the first home console to reach (and pass) the 100 million mark.

That´s the Sony that was nowhere to be seen this gen...while Nintendo´s approach with the Wii really reminds me of their steps with the NES, which is great.

If the N64 was a year earlier or the PS1 was a year later the PS1 would not have done nearly as well. Luck alone? Maybe not but they also had steep price drops and they bought every good game that moved which is why I said luck and money. They would not have done so well against two strong competitors and it was the best moment before and after to enter the industry, another generation and the consoles they would have had to face would have been a lot tougher.

This generation they had none of their old tricks to use and they didn't invent any new ones either. The Wii was always going to beat them no matter what they did. Even if they went motion from the start only Nintendo has the brilliant games to really take advantage and the only question was whether they would retain a strong second place or fall back further. They fell back further and the result is what we see on the charts today.

Lol i have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads where you come back a year later and theres TONS of crow to start serving to people. Again. When will people learn that they Sony and MS keep switching places? 2010 is MS's year Natal is going to move alot more systems than people think. However I think this is the last year MS outsells the PS3 until the next gen starts sometime in either 2011 or 2012

numonex said:
The XBox 360 will outsell the PS3 worldwide in 2010 just like 2006, 2007 and 2008. 2009 was a one off for the PS3- a flash in the pan. The XBox 360 will outsell the PS3 by 1 million units. A big victiory in US will make up for losses in the other two regions. Europe may even go to 360 with Natal launch.

By the end of the year the 360 will have all the sales momentum with Natal, Halo: Reach + lots of exclusive games and more price cuts.

Go the XBox 360 and I hope you crush the PS3 in console sales.

Carland goes to 360 with GT5 releasing this year?

Pish tosh sir, surely ye jest.

WilliamWatts said:
gamings_best said:

lol when all elese fails cry cry "teh profitz"

it doesn't matter how much it would cost Sony, the fact is if all that the ps3 was sold for the lowest cost of the 360, there wouldn't even be a console war,, so congrats M$ for "winning" due to circumstance.that's the point my friend.

the fact that a 299 ps3 can out sell a 199  360 since it's induction really makes the mind run wild of what a 199 or eveen worse a 179.99 ps3 would imo, no matter how much 360 fans pray that will never happen, and for the sake of M$ and their current position it better not happen.

ps. ps3 iz so doomed remember

LOL of course a PS3 is always too expensive because Sony doesn't know how to make consoles that people want at a price they want to pay for them. Wake me up when Sony actually learns how to compete as an actual business.

your personal bias is making you out to be a word that would be banned XD

lolz, and the ps1 and ps2 never existed, the 2 best selling home consoles are both sony my friend.

looka at the ps3 as a risk, nothing more nothing less, Sony more than knows how to destroy a market the ps1 and ps2 prove that. and they are way more successful than M$, because back in the ps1 days nintendo and sega ruled supreme, the ps1 was unknown and sold at the same price as it's competitors...... and completely dominated them, xbox HAD to release a year and a half earlier and they NEEDED to be hundreds of dollars cheaper. And even still they are losing a lead nowhere near as big as what the previous playstations had. I love how people conviently leave that FACT out of ps3 vs. xbox.

I love how people talk about Sony and how arrogant and cocky they were blah, blah, blah. these idiots had no idea waht the ps3 was doing for sony, Selling a console that cost 850 dollars to make for 600 is not arrogant at all, selling a ps2 hd upgrade that would insure market domination for 600....... that's freaking arrogant. But people know everything these days don't they?

Sony wanted to provide and extemely powerful console no matter the cost (imo), they also wanted to insure the future of playstation, look at it this way, the transition from ps3 to ps4 will be extremely easy, less expensive, and super powerful, cannot say the same for M$.

Around the Network
psrock said:
numonex said:
The $299 XBox 360 Elite 120GB sell much more than the $199 Arcade XBox 360.
So it is actually a $299 PS3 120GB competing up against a $299 XBox 360 Elite 120GB. $199 Arcade XBox 360 is competing against the Wii which is priced at $199.

What do you get when you add the sale of the $299 + $199 360 console?

2 console sales.

Surprised I did not see this answer anywhere...

ok for the U.S, for the rest of the world (except Japan), it is very difficult to say .... Europe is a very different market compared to usa ... trends change quickly, depending on prices, countries, mentalities ... a simple price drop can switch the situation (I remember the end of 2008 when  360 destroyed the PS3 even in Europe ... with  20 euros pric cut and pubs). but that will very difficult for MS this year... once again, depending of natal....

gamings_best said:
WilliamWatts said:
gamings_best said:

lol when all elese fails cry cry "teh profitz"

it doesn't matter how much it would cost Sony, the fact is if all that the ps3 was sold for the lowest cost of the 360, there wouldn't even be a console war,, so congrats M$ for "winning" due to circumstance.that's the point my friend.

the fact that a 299 ps3 can out sell a 199  360 since it's induction really makes the mind run wild of what a 199 or eveen worse a 179.99 ps3 would imo, no matter how much 360 fans pray that will never happen, and for the sake of M$ and their current position it better not happen.

ps. ps3 iz so doomed remember

LOL of course a PS3 is always too expensive because Sony doesn't know how to make consoles that people want at a price they want to pay for them. Wake me up when Sony actually learns how to compete as an actual business.

your personal bias is making you out to be a word that would be banned XD

lolz, and the ps1 and ps2 never existed, the 2 best selling home consoles are both sony my friend.

looka at the ps3 as a risk, nothing more nothing less, Sony more than knows how to destroy a market the ps1 and ps2 prove that. and they are way more successful than M$, because back in the ps1 days nintendo and sega ruled supreme, the ps1 was unknown and sold at the same price as it's competitors...... and completely dominated them, xbox HAD to release a year and a half earlier and they NEEDED to be hundreds of dollars cheaper. And even still they are losing a lead nowhere near as big as what the previous playstations had. I love how people conviently leave that FACT out of ps3 vs. xbox.

I love how people talk about Sony and how arrogant and cocky they were blah, blah, blah. these idiots had no idea waht the ps3 was doing for sony, Selling a console that cost 850 dollars to make for 600 is not arrogant at all, selling a ps2 hd upgrade that would insure market domination for 600....... that's freaking arrogant. But people know everything these days don't they?

Sony wanted to provide and extemely powerful console no matter the cost (imo), they also wanted to insure the future of playstation, look at it this way, the transition from ps3 to ps4 will be extremely easy, less expensive, and super powerful, cannot say the same for M$.

Agreed. +10

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

For Microsoft is simple to say "we will outsell the PS3 in the US". The difficult arrives if X360 has to outsell the PS3 worldwide.
The run is very close and both the systems are equipped well, but at the end the name Playstation will make the difference.
In my opinion, in the US the X360 will sell more, but worldwide the PS3 will win.

I believe the world is going to end in December 2012, that doesnt mean it will happen :D!

Easily yours

-Luhuti